What's new

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

I got a sample of this bottle today, and I've been wearing it twice today. When I put it on today, I smelled it and I laughed and joked with my S.O. if she was into grandpas, because it smells like what my grandfather (Greatest Generation) would wear. It has the funky Victorian smell of Pinaud's Eau de Quinine, combined with the dusty, peppery sandalwood of Aramis. There's a leathery, peppery, tobacco and animalic quality to the base- it smells dirty and bitter-sweet, and it's very much in your face. I'm not sure whether I love it or hate it. I definitely think Eau de Quinine comes across as more refined, and has a similar fragrance profile (a "floriental", similar to Old Spice).

A little goes a long ways. The bottle says "aftershave cologne", but it's really more of a cologne. If you were to use this too liberally, it would just be obnoxious.

Agreed that a little goes along way! A regular dose of it as an aftershave literally last all day!

I’m on the fence myself about the scent, but the missus likes it, so I oblige occasionally.

Can’t quite tell if it’s a refined scent from a guy walking out of a high class gentleman’s club...or the trailing scent of a crusty dude who spends too much time in a glass at the local pub, lol.

Make sure you decant it if you already haven’t. It helps!

I got a sample of this bottle today, and I've been wearing it twice today. When I put it on today, I smelled it and I laughed and joked with my S.O. if she was into grandpas, because it smells like what my grandfather (Greatest Generation) would wear. It has the funky Victorian smell of Pinaud's Eau de Quinine, combined with the dusty, peppery sandalwood of Aramis. There's a leathery, peppery, tobacco and animalic quality to the base- it smells dirty and bitter-sweet, and it's very much in your face. I'm not sure whether I love it or hate it. I definitely think Eau de Quinine comes across as more refined, and has a similar fragrance profile (a "floriental", similar to Old Spice).

A little goes a long ways. The bottle says "aftershave cologne", but it's really more of a cologne. If you were to use this too liberally, it would just be obnoxious.
Great assessment! I am also reminded of Aramis when wearing it.

I've shared this before - it smells like old Marines. Had a suedo-Uncle that was a retired Marine and he smelled like it. Nothing overpowering, mind you, just there.

I think it's wonderful leather smell when applied correctly.

Chris

If you want to tone it down, Bootleggers El Dorado is a wonderful scent. You do two parts Special Reserve, 1 part Classic Vanilla and 1 part English Leather. It's my favorite wintertime scent.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
355.jpg for the win, Great stuff

Great assessment! I am also reminded of Aramis when wearing it.

Aramis is definitely more restrained than Special Reserve. I could see it as potentially being alot less polarizing.

I did more research, and apparently Aramis is a Chypre type fragrance. And I am guessing, based on the scent profile, that Special Reserve is as well. Chypre's have citrus top notes, and labdanum and oakmoss basenotes . And that's what Special Reserve seems to have as well. Labdanum has a resinous, incense like aroma, and my guess that contributes alot to the leathery or earthy type vibe this gives off.

Last edited:
Wear it and smell like a man. Decanting improves it so you will smell more like a man.

It's the king of my cabinet

It does smell masculine but not very modern. It reminds me of my early years in the 70's and early 80's, when I was just a little kid. It evokes strong memories in that regard. I'm sure lots of men were wearing this style of fragrance back then. My grandfathers may have done so, and I'm sure I smelled this alot on men in general.

On the other hand, it's less dated than Clubman. You wear Special Reserve and you won't smell like a turn-of-the-last century barbershop.

This is definitely one of the classier Pinaud fragrance . Next up to try is Lilac Vegetal.

Top Bottom