What's new

What is your preferred tie knot?

I never wear a wide enough collar for a Windsor knot. I think they look too big/wide for me. 4 in hand is perfect and I love the asymmetrical result. I have used the Prince Albert on occasion with a wider collar, but it pulls nice and tight.

The dimple comes out great with a 4 ih!

I really love changing my tie knot around depending on the occasion. But for normal things, I use the full Windsor or the Plattsburgh knot depending on the tie and the shirt I am wearing. For special events, however, I use special knots such as the Ellie knot, the rosebud knot, or other knots that really pop if the occasion allows.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Full windsor is my default setting, but I'll vary it dependent on tie thickness, collar, and setting. Heavier weight ties need a simpler knot.

The tie also dictates whether dimpled or not. If it tries to pleat when I cinch the knot, I'll go for a controlled dimple. If it sits flat, I'll leave it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Gentleman:
proxy.php
It seems the Windsors (half & full), are leading here so far in 'knots' (wink), but I can't understand why in the world Bond ("From Russia, with Love", pg 219), said of Windsors;

"Bond mistrusted anyone who tie his with a Windsor knot. It showed too much vanity. It is often a mark of a cad".

Kind of harsh wouldn't you say, "old man" (also pg 219)? James probably had a case of 'arrested
(get it?), development
'.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A true gent will always wear his [tie] well". Mr. Coward

Last edited:
Gentleman:
proxy.php
It seems the Windsors (half & full), are leading here so far in 'knots' (wink), but I can't understand why in the world Bond ("From Russia, with Love", pg 219), said of Windsors;

"Bond mistrusted anyone who tie his with a Windsor knot. It showed too much vanity. It is often a mark of a cad".

Kind of harsh wouldn't you say, "old man" (also pg 219)? James probably had a case of 'arrested
(get it?), development
'.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"A true gent will always wear his [tie] well". Mr. Coward

I understand where Bond is coming from. I favor the four in hand but have tried wearing the windsor. The Windsor's large knot just seems overdone to me. I've worn suits through my entire career and during the last 10 years I would often wear french cuffs. And yet I still wear the four in hand. I didn't know that Bond said that, which is probably attributed to Ian Fleming. When I see someone wearing a windsor it appears to me that they are trying too hard or hiding behind that massive knot. There is nothing worse than a massive knot that is loosely tied. And I've seen many a windsor tied that way. I think ultimately I find a four in hand less pretentious than the windsor and that may be where the Bond comment comes from. In the end, does it really matter? We each wear what we like and feel most comfortable in. Same thing with shaving. We use whatever implements and softwear that we feel more comfortable with. But ssssshhhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone, but the four in hand is better. :001_tt2:

I almost always tie a Pratt. I like the symmetry and nice triangular shape. I find it easily ends up with a good dimple too.

First knot I learned is the 4-in-hand but I really don't like the lack of symmetry.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I understand where Bond is coming from. I favor the four in hand but have tried wearing the windsor. The Windsor's large knot just seems overdone to me. I've worn suits through my entire career and during the last 10 years I would often wear french cuffs. And yet I still wear the four in hand. I didn't know that Bond said that, which is probably attributed to Ian Fleming. When I see someone wearing a windsor it appears to me that they are trying too hard or hiding behind that massive knot. There is nothing worse than a massive knot that is loosely tied. And I've seen many a windsor tied that way. I think ultimately I find a four in hand less pretentious than the windsor and that may be where the Bond comment comes from. In the end, does it really matter? We each wear what we like and feel most comfortable in. Same thing with shaving. We use whatever implements and softwear that we feel more comfortable with. But ssssshhhhhhhh [I won't tell
proxy.php
]. Don't tell anyone, but the four in hand is better. :001_tt2:
MntnMan62
Gosh...I hadn't thought of it that way...well I'll be.
proxy.php

Hope I didn't open a can of worms?
Can of Worms.png

proxy.php
[In regard to neck ties:] "Better [nouvelle] than never". Lord Weidenfeld

When I was a kid I figured out my own knot and tied it every time for 30 years. I called it the super easy knot because it's the simplest possible tie knot that looks decent. Just this week I learned that it's called the Oriental knot.
I've been looking for a different knot because the Oriental tends to pull itself off to the side over time. I tried a Pratt today. It stayed in the center and I like it, but I prefer asymmetrical knots so I'm going to keep trying other knots.

When I was a kid I figured out my own knot and tied it every time for 30 years. I called it the super easy knot because it's the simplest possible tie knot that looks decent. Just this week I learned that it's called the Oriental knot.
I've been looking for a different knot because the Oriental tends to pull itself off to the side over time. I tried a Pratt today. It stayed in the center and I like it, but I prefer asymmetrical knots so I'm going to keep trying other knots.

My half windsor knots also end up off to one side. And I like it that way. Maybe try a half windsor.

When I do wear a tie I usually make it a full windsor. Looks nice, and really "fills" the collar, if you know what I mean. Also, I generally dislike asymmetrical knots, just one of my pet peeves I guess.

-Daniel

Usually a full windsor when I wear a necktie. But I usually wear a bowtie these days and I only know of one way to tie those.

Half Windsor's on deck for tomorrow.
Thumbs up on the Half Windsor. It'll be good for taking up the excess length of my longer ties and for a more substantial knot for ties with very thin material. But the Pratt will be my go-to for most ties from now on.

Top Bottom