What's new

B-day resto

Okay so here we go! Started this one today! Half a century young restoring a Torrey "Our 136" woooieeee!
So first the bad. The scales are Garbage... They are definitely gassing and I am not having that come near any of my other razors! Not a huge issue because I already have a plan.
Next the good. Apparently the gassing only caused a little surface oxidation! The blade is in great condition, and only seems to show factory hone ware on the spine! Here are some pictures of disassembly and the beginning of the restoration. I will be updating as I go. First unpinning. Filed off one side carefully cuz I thought I might be able to save the scales.
IMG_20190913_080345.jpg
I then inspected and discovered the scales were garbage. I wouldn't even take a chance on using the wedge. The blade at this stage looked filthy, and was covered in muc at the pivot.
IMG_20190913_081128.jpg
here is where I really discovered the scales were bad. I tried wiping them with some acetone and all that did was accelerate the deterioration of the plastic or celluloid or whatever they are.
IMG_20190913_082430.jpg

I just shrugged my shoulders and said oh well! Of course then I picked up the blade and started working it after inspecting it the oxidation looked very superficial so I started with 2k grit wet or dry sandpaper and some magic tap cutting oil as I did not want to lose any of the etching and marking on the tang. The last two pictures show how good the condition of the blade is. Sorry for such a lengthy post!
IMG_20190913_084019.jpg
IMG_20190913_090538.jpg
IMG_20190913_090549.jpg

Update on the blade cannot polish anymore without losing the logo and the our 136...
15684046068822488797118580365524.jpg

And now I gotta decide NS or brass? Jade G10 scales and wedge, I may not have finger prints on my thumb and index finger lol!
15684066664615492568865539153742.jpg

Last edited:
And she's done off to visit the films tomorrow. Will post before and after on the 'what's on your bench' thread
IMG_20190913_180314.jpg

Fantastic work Sir!!!

And yes the Torrey Our 136 is a fantastic razor for sure and worth restoring, that G10 Jade sure sets it off keep it up mate.....
:001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

Fantastic work Sir!!!

And yes the Torrey Our 136 is a fantastic razor for sure and worth restoring, that G10 Jade sure sets it off keep it up mate.....
:001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:
Thanks for the kind words Ian! Hoping your healing well take care!

And she's done off to visit the films tomorrow. Will post before and after on the 'what's on your bench' thread
View attachment 1016706

Beautiful looking razor. I love seeing restored razors where someone looks out for the razor. A lot of people just sand everything and loose etchings. You did that restoration justice. And the scales work perfectly for that blade.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Beautiful looking razor. I love seeing restored razors where someone looks out for the razor. A lot of people just sand everything and loose etchings. You did that restoration justice. And the scales work perfectly for that blade.
Exactly.

Thanks for the kind words!
Great job, I love the new scales.
Lol thanks only costed 3 scroll saw blades G10=TOUGH !!!

Nice work. Scales turned out really well.
That G10 is a lot of work to cut shape. How thick were the g10 blanks you used?
here is where I really discovered the scales were bad. I tried wiping them with some acetone and all that did was accelerate the deterioration of the plastic or celluloid or whatever they are.
If you are ever trying to preserve celluloid scales you don't want to use harsh chemicals like acetone.
Soaking in acetone is a good way to loosen the bolsters from scales you are going to scrap because of damage or cell rot, though.

Nice work. Scales turned out really well.
That G10 is a lot of work to cut shape. How thick were the g10 blanks you used?

If you are ever trying to preserve celluloid scales you don't want to use harsh chemicals like acetone.
Soaking in acetone is a good way to loosen the bolsters from scales you are going to scrap because of damage or cell rot, though.
the g10 scales were already 1/8 of an inch thick so there wasn't a whole lot of sanding to do I did give them a rounder profile The cutting part of the job was hard on blades. And as far as using acetone on celluloid I learned that the hard way but nonetheless the scales were shot anyway so no big loss.

Top Bottom