What's new

How Much Time Do You Spend Shaving?

As little as possible! I flirted with that zen shaving we read about here and concluded that was just silly. I already have busy mornings with coffee, early email check, workouts, cleanup (including daily shave), breakfast, etc., and fussing over my daily shave just doesn’t make sense. So, ~5 mins.

That said, I do break out a brush and fool with lather and maybe alum and ASB on a weekend day; but certainly not on a work day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As little as possible! I flirted with that zen shaving we read about here and concluded that was just silly. I already have busy mornings with coffee, early email check, workouts, cleanup (including daily shave), breakfast, etc., and fussing over my daily shave just doesn’t make sense. So, ~5 mins.

That said, I do break out a brush and fool with lather and maybe alum and ASB on a weekend day; but certainly not on a work day.

You are saying that you do a complete blade shave in give or take five minutes? If so that’s amazing.

Ok, what’s a zen shave?

Using a loose interpretation, Zen refers to calm, unhurried, meditative approach.

To shave in 5 minutes is quick, efficient and focused effort. Eliminate extra steps (e.g. slowly building perfect lather); two passes, clean up sink, apply AS).

I will concede that one needs prep time. My prep is simply a shower so no extra time, other than re-wetting face, at the sink.

I’ve been around the forum enough to suspect that most folks reject my approach and would say just get up earlier. I get up plenty early for time to workout and decided an efficient shave makes more sense than a leisurely shave.

Using a loose interpretation, Zen refers to calm, unhurried, meditative approach.

To shave in 5 minutes is quick, efficient and focused effort. Eliminate extra steps (e.g. slowly building perfect lather); two passes, clean up sink, apply AS).

I will concede that one needs prep time. My prep is simply a shower so no extra time, other than re-wetting face, at the sink.

I’ve been around the forum enough to suspect that most folks reject my approach and would say just get up earlier. I get up plenty early for time to workout and decided an efficient shave makes more sense than a leisurely shave.

It’s difficult to meditate using an electric shaver. Shaving for me is just a means to an end, getting a close shave without injuring myself. If one loses focus while shaving with a blade, then the results can be painful and bloody.

Obviously, you have your shaving routine down to a science. My routine using my electric shaver takes about the same amount of time except in reverse. I shave first dry and clean the shaver by tapping out the cuttings onto a piece of tissue and then I shower. :)

Last edited:
I’m tempted to try electric but don’t want to make the initial investment due to fear that I won’t like or use it.

I’m tempted to try electric but don’t want to make the initial investment due to fear that I won’t like or use it.

All the electric shaver manufacturers, Braun, Phillips, Panasonic and Remington all offer at least a thirty day money back trial period. Braun offers 60 days return policy. It usually takes a couple of weeks or so for your face and beard to become accustomed to the shaver therefore the liberal return policy. Costco has a very liberal return policy.

It's always interesting to read the perspective of "I shave the fastest," as if in a quick-draw contest. For perspective, my general DE shaving time is around 20-30 minutes. I'll explain. Shower first (not counted in total shave time, although if that were my prep, I'd count it). It takes about 3-5 minutes to get out the scuttle, warm it up, apply soap, and whip up a decent lather. Another minute or so to apply pre-shave, lather to face, rinse out soap container. Another minute or so to get out the DE, put in a blade, and start to shave. We're now potentially almost 10 minutes into a "shave." Can be slightly faster or slower, depending on the morning - could probably cut it down to 5 minutes every time if I tried to minimize movements and go as fast as possible. At least 5 minutes to do a three-pass DE shave. More likely ten. Although I could rush through that as fast as possible too. With some potentially painful consequences. Which would take another five minutes to stop the bleeding. So let's say, generously, 15 minutes from start of prep to blade off skin. Another 5 minutes to rinse off razor, remove blade and bank it, dry and store razor, rinse and dry face, clean up sink, rinse out scuttle, dry and store, rinse out brush, dry and store, apply witch hazel and AS. Again, could be speeded up, hopping on one foot, maximum speed, flinging soap and water. Put away all shaving supplies and police up area. Twenty minutes, minimum. THAT'S "total shaving time." Try a time/motion analysis sometime. Might take longer than you think. I guess I'm missing the point of "I can shave in 2 minutes," unless my alarm didn't go off and I was an hour late for work. DE shaving (or even electric), is the most relaxing part of my day, or should be. My .02.

Last edited:
It's always interesting to read the perspective of "I shave the fastest," as if in a quick-draw contest. For perspective, my general DE shaving time is around 20-30 minutes. I'll explain. Shower first (not counted in total shave time, although if that were my prep, I'd count it). It takes about 3-5 minutes to get out the scuttle, warm it up, apply soap, and whip up a decent lather. Another minute or so to apply pre-shave, lather to face, rinse out soap container. Another minute or so to get out the DE, put in a blade, and start to shave. We're now potentially almost 10 minutes into a "shave." Can be slightly faster or slower, depending on the morning - could probably cut it down to 5 minutes every time if I tried to minimize movements and go as fast as possible. At least 5 minutes to do a three-pass DE shave. More likely ten. Although I could rush through that as fast as possible too. With some potentially painful consequences. Which would take another five minutes to stop the bleeding. So let's say, generously, 15 minutes from start of prep to blade off skin. Another 5 minutes to rinse off razor, remove blade and bank it, dry and store razor, rinse and dry face, clean up sink, rinse out scuttle, dry and store, rinse out brush, dry and store, apply witch hazel and AS. Again, could be speeded up, hopping on one foot, maximum speed, flinging soap and water. Put away all shaving supplies and police up area. Twenty minutes, minimum. THAT'S "total shaving time." Try a time/motion analysis sometime. Might take longer than you think. I guess I'm missing the point of "I can shave in 2 minutes," unless my alarm didn't go off and I was an hour late for work. DE shaving (or even electric), is the most relaxing part of my day, or should be. My .02.
Thanks for that very detailed and interesting report on your morning shaving routine. Obviously, speed is only one criteria in a morning shave. However, in this era of time pressure to get out the door to work or school doesn’t allow always for that leisurely shave. I was curious as to how much time was saved comparing blade shaving verses electric shaving. I would personally rather shave faster using my electric shaver and then relax drinking a cup of coffee with that extra 10 minutes.

Thanks for that very detailed and interesting report on your morning shaving routine. Obviously, speed is only one criteria in a morning shave. However, in this era of time pressure to get out the door to work or school doesn’t allow always for that leisurely shave. I was curious as to how much time was saved comparing blade shaving verses electric shaving. I would personally rather shave faster using my electric shaver and then relax drinking a cup of coffee with that extra 10 minutes.

Actually, me too, and I find myself shaving with an electric most of the time, except occasional weekends. I usually use the same prep though (wet shave), so the time I save is fiddling with a blade and razor, and avoiding cutting my throat - an electric doesn't need your full, undivided attention. So my electric shaves can be 5 minutes, safely, but usually on the order of 10-15 minutes, so I "shave off," so to speak, about 25-30% of my shaving time with an electric.

Actually, me too, and I find myself shaving with an electric most of the time, except occasional weekends. I usually use the same prep though (wet shave), so the time I save is fiddling with a blade and razor, and avoiding cutting my throat - an electric doesn't need your full, undivided attention. So my electric shaves can be 5 minutes, safely, but usually on the order of 10-15 minutes, so I "shave off," so to speak, about 25-30% of my shaving time with an electric.
I have been shaving with electric shavers since the early 1960s. However, I have tried numerous times to shave wet with a razor to try something different. I always went back to the electric because no matter how carefully I shaved I managed to cut myself. I got tired of leaving the house with pieces of tissue paper stuck on my face in an attempt to stem the carnage. I even tried using a septic pencil which just stung and left white powder on my face but it did coagulate the blood. I tried different types of razor blades both disposable and refillable along with various brands of shaving cream with no better results.

Besides the safety and speed of using an electric shaver it requires less mental effort to shave and it makes much less of a mess in the bathroom. :)

I want my shave to be quick & efficient. I'm guessing I take 5-10 min.
But I don't have a full beard.

And shaving with my DE takes more effort than using a good old disposable razor.

Do you have a goatee? Or clean shaven? Five to ten minutes seems quick.

Stubble. A trick I learned to make it go so much quicker and more efficient is to use a proper shaving cream and brush (sandalwood cream). Then it glides effortlessly and gets done quick.

I heavily disagree with the DE razor purists who say "only DE razor or nothing", but there is one thing that I cannot stress and agree enough on: Never use f***ing shave foam/gels unless you are in war zone and its only available thing. I saved so much money investing in proper shaving cream.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wet shaving, to me, is a very relaxing and mind clearing (almost Zen-like) experience. I simply refuse to rush through my nightly process.

Between preparing the hardware and software, preparing my face, the actual act of shaving and then the post shave process, I'm in roughly 30 minutes (+/- a few).

YMMV

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If I make my own lather and use a razor that requires some level of concentration 6 - 8 minutes. If I use a cart and foam, 2-3. Lately though, if short on time, I just use foam with the DE or SE.

If I make my own lather and use a razor that requires some level of concentration 6 - 8 minutes. If I use a cart and foam, 2-3. Lately though, if short on time, I just use foam with the DE or SE.
Wow! Those are very fast times. Obviously, practice makes perfect. If I shaved that quickly I would surely cut myself.

Wet shaving, to me, is a very relaxing and mind clearing (almost Zen-like) experience. I simply refuse to rush through my nightly process.

Between preparing the hardware and software, preparing my face, the actual act of shaving and then the post shave process, I'm in roughly 30 minutes (+/- a few).

YMMV
You shave in the evenings? Does your shave last long enough during the day at work? I never thought about shaving to be relaxing experience unless it’s being done by a barber. :) While shaving with an electric shaver my mind could clear. However, shaving with a blade my mind would not be clear at all but worrying about shedding my blood. :)

Top Bottom