What's new

What sharpening system do you use?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
for your EDC knives. I have the Lansky system with the Lansky knife holder. Just sharpened up my EDC today. It can once again shave my arm hair.

What do you use?
What’s your technique?

Any tips / tricks?

458B405B-E366-4517-8C67-38C32ED14BEE.jpeg

I’m all about the freehand. I’ve picked up systems in the past, probably will again in the future, but I generally always go back to freehand.

I like Arks. But I’ll use anything.

Spyderco Sharpmaker plus Diamond Rods for most knives and for some Japanese Watanabe knives...use three Japanese water stones for the convex edges. These all replaced the old Arkansas stones I used years ago.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I freehand on various types of stones. @Toothpick do you have any type of strop? Doesn’t have to be anything fancy- a short piece of leather glued to a piece of wood will work fine. A few laps on a pasted strop will kick almost any edge a notch or two, and works for touch ups as well.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I freehand on various types of stones. @Toothpick do you have any type of strop? Doesn’t have to be anything fancy- a short piece of leather glued to a piece of wood will work fine. A few laps on a pasted strop will kick almost any edge a notch or two, and works for touch ups as well.
Nahh I use my jeans. If that even works at all. I need to get one.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Depending on what size knife and what condition it's in, one of these:

Gatco system, Japanese water stone, Arkansas oil stone, Ken Onion WorkSharp.

DSC_0004 (3).JPG

And don't forget these.

DSC_0007 (3).JPG

In the past, either a Lansky system or (mostly in the field) angled sharpening stones. However, a couple of days ago I pulled the plug on a Ken Onion sharpener from Work Sharp. It arrived today and I'm anxious to give it a go. And my wife says I have a lot of work to do on her kitchen knives as well :eek2:.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yeah I was wondering how that Ken Onion Sharpener works. Any knives? Can you pick the edges/angles? Does it actually get it super sharp?

Yeah I was wondering how that Ken Onion Sharpener works. Any knives? Can you pick the edges/angles? Does it actually get it super sharp?
Yep, though the longer the blade the more you have to pay attention. It will even do serrated knives, and tools that need sharpening. With an attachment (sold separately) you can sharpen lawnmower blades as well.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sweet. Thanks! I may pick up one of those. I got plenty of knifes to sharpen.

You have to move the knife fairly slow in it, and I get bored easily. Works great though...I've used it to also sharpen axes and lawnmower blades. Didn't use any attachment for that.

Top Bottom