Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thanks

It's not something I routinely check! The top cap screws in but does catch at the beginning and then screws in fine -- so I had a look to see why.

I see.
I’ll have a look at mine to check.

One thing I’ll mention...
I happened to watch the Karve SS review on You Tube by Cris (Another Cut Above), before I actually received mine.
He mentioned that the brass one threads just a tiny bit smoother compared to the SS one, which is by comparison very slightly “rougher”.... He wasn’t sure whether that was due to the different metals, or just because he had been using the brass one for quite a while whereas the SS one was brand new, just machined.
I had to agree with him once I received mine, there probably is a very small difference in how they thread (and as you say, it feels a tiny bit rough just at the beginning, then it screws pretty smoothly). But I suspect I wouldn’t have noticed it, had I not watched his video beforehand.

I've used my SS for several shaves now. I will test it out when I get home from work and report back any findings. will also do a comparison with my (well used) brass version.

Not that I think it matters, but what length of handle?

Maybe this is why the razor was packed with a dot of grease on the thread of the cap?

Yes, my SS Karve had one as well.
Well, he’s now recommending you should periodically put some grease/ Petroleum Jelly on the thread on both SS and brass, as dry threads could wear quicker over time.
Which, as far as I remember, wasn’t part of the instructions that came with the brass one originally.

It is quite possible that Canada Post had the item all along and just did not update the tracking information. Their tracking system is crap, and that is being generous. Whenever I have stuff coming via USPS, I ALWAYS have better tracking info. from the USPS site, than I do from CanPost, and that INCLUDES after the package is handed off to the CanPost side of the system. I have literally had packages in hand when CanPost tracking indicates it is still at the final terminal awaiting delivery.

That is possible, but I doubt it. Showing up in the Canada Post system two days after I contacted Chris is too much of a coincidence. I suspect the package was sitting on a shelf or in a corner of the shop. Although Karve craftsmanship is great, their customer service and logistics skills leave a lot to be desired.

The Canadian Post for shipments to the U.S.A. leaves much to be desired in many instances. Some time ago, my wife ordered a non-shaving product on eBay. The Canadian vendor created a label and sent us the tracking information. 21 days later my wife still did not have the item and the vendor swore he mailed it out on the day of the order. The item arrived 14 days later but there was never any tracking information.

Two months ago a relative sent a birthday present from Toronto to Indiana. She allowed three weeks for the present to arrive. It took 11 weeks to arrive and once again Canadian Post never provided the tracking information.

The Canadian Post for shipments to the U.S.A. leaves much to be desired in many instances. Some time ago, my wife ordered a non-shaving product on eBay. The Canadian vendor created a label and sent us the tracking information. 21 days later my wife still did not have the item and the vendor swore he mailed it out on the day of the order. The item arrived 14 days later but there was never any tracking information.

Two months ago a relative sent a birthday present from Toronto to Indiana. She allowed three weeks for the present to arrive. It took 11 weeks to arrive and once again Canadian Post never provided the tracking information.

Well, that's discouraging.

Playing with oxidizers.
20190903_110513.jpg
20190903_110458.jpg
20190903_110427.jpg
20190903_110447.jpg

Karve has the G Plate in both Brass and Stainless in stock if anyone is looking for one.
Thank you Brandon! I just ordered a Brass CB with a F plate. When I saw your info, I shot an email to Chris to add a G plate to my order. Hopefully my order, on Wednesday, hasn’t shipped yet. I have not received any shipping info.

Any update on this? Thanks

3.25" handle

I also have the 3.25” SS handle.
I just had a look at both my SS and brass handles (I have both 3.5” and 3.25” handles in brass, and I’ve been using the brass Karve almost daily for about a year now).
I can’t see any obvious difference or defects in the machining of the threads on any of them.
I tried to take some quick photos with my phone, but they were pretty rubbish, you can’t really see the threads inside the handle well enough, sorry.

As mentioned, the SS does feel just a tiny bit less smooth when threading the handle, compared to the brass.

Not sure if that helps....
If it really bugs you, just send a quick email to Karve and see what they say.

Thanks for trying.

It's not the end of the world, just disappointing given the quality of the machining on the rest of the razor. Doesn't affect the shave itself.

Thanks for trying.

It's not the end of the world, just disappointing given the quality of the machining on the rest of the razor. Doesn't affect the shave itself.

If it looks like there might be a defect or some visible problem with the machining of the threads, I would email him, I suspect he would replace it for you.

QC is his big thing.
He’s involved in all stages of manufacturing, and wants to personally check all the parts before they ship out, which is partially what causes some of the delays in shipping his razors.
So I’m sure he’ll want to know if he missed something....

Top Bottom