Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Or maybe more people would buy one.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Simple economics 101 “supply and demand” curve analysis. By limiting supply, a producer can increase demand and obtain a higher price. Once supply meets demand you reach equilibrium. To sell more units (increase supply) you have to drop your price to create more demand. For instance, once everyone that is willing to pay $200 for a razor has one, you can’t sell any more since demand is met. If you then drop your price to $150, you then start selling more razors to people that are willing to pay $150 etc etc. Think about Wolfman razors where production/supply is extremely limited; the razors sell between $500-1000. If Karve and Wolfman stared making 10,000 a month, they would no longer command such high prices. However, anyone that wanted one would be able to get one. Therefore, a manufacturer has to find equilibrium between supply and demand. Seek a price where demand is met but still provides a decent profit and you can stay in business.

This is way to shortsighted. Karve doesn't command a high price for a Stainless Steel razor, rather average. The reason Wolfman has a higher price is because they have an almost cult following and use polishing techniques that are intensive in manual labour.

More people would buy one if it was cheaper, yes. But in this case it's all about availability, not all customers that are willing to pay 200$ are satisfied yet and there is a long wait to actually buy one. Meaning potential customers might go for a different producer if Karve is unable to fulfill the demand at this price point. How fast they fulfill the demand shouldn't matter unless it's a highly sought after luxury product with almost no alternatives (such as a Koenigsegg or Birkin Bag etc.). Which this razor is clearly not.

Mine just showed up yesterday in the States, a month after ord
Well I've said it before, but I'll say it again, why he only communicates on Instagram is beyond me. It must be a Canadian thing. Either way, thanks for the heads-up @Navitimer

But here's the more important thing to me at this stage - my name is now no longer on the waiting list!! WOOT! Now I wait for the shipping label. How long do you guys figure after paying on average, is it that you get your razor.

My Karve SS just showed up yesterday, 30 days after placing my order. I ordered it on Aug 6. I received a shipping notice on Aug 9. On August 21, Canadian Post still had not received the package, so I wrote Chris. Finally, on August 23, the package was in the tracking system. It then took 13 days to arrive, but that included the Labor Day weekend in the USA. Normally, it should take 10-12 days for Canadian shipments to the USA.

After emailing my order cancellation I finally got a response from Karve. He said he has my razor in front of him ready to ship and will do so today if I still want it. Ok, I'm game. Maybe it will actually happen.

Simple economics 101 “supply and demand” curve analysis. By limiting supply, a producer can increase demand and obtain a higher price. Once supply meets demand you reach equilibrium. To sell more units (increase supply) you have to drop your price to create more demand. For instance, once everyone that is willing to pay $200 for a razor has one, you can’t sell any more since demand is met. If you then drop your price to $150, you then start selling more razors to people that are willing to pay $150 etc etc. Think about Wolfman razors where production/supply is extremely limited; the razors sell between $500-1000. If Karve and Wolfman stared making 10,000 a month, they would no longer command such high prices. However, anyone that wanted one would be able to get one. Therefore, a manufacturer has to find equilibrium between supply and demand. Seek a price where demand is met but still provides a decent profit and you can stay in business.
Economics 101, customer service.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

It has to be difficult with just 1-2 employees to keep up with the emails, shipping, paperwork, manufacturing etc. These small companies must be overwhelmed and the economics don’t justify hiring employees. We all need to be patient with these artisan companies.

It has to be difficult with just 1-2 employees to keep up with the emails, shipping, paperwork, manufacturing etc. These small companies must be overwhelmed and the economics don’t justify hiring employees. We all need to be patient with these artisan companies.

Granted it is a small company but no way in hell should they be invoicing for an item that isn't ready to ship unless they admit it up front.

Mine just showed up yesterday in the States, a month after ord

My Karve SS just showed up yesterday, 30 days after placing my order. I ordered it on Aug 6. I received a shipping notice on Aug 9. On August 21, Canadian Post still had not received the package, so I wrote Chris. Finally, on August 23, the package was in the tracking system. It then took 13 days to arrive, but that included the Labor Day weekend in the USA. Normally, it should take 10-12 days for Canadian shipments to the USA.

It is quite possible that Canada Post had the item all along and just did not update the tracking information. Their tracking system is crap, and that is being generous. Whenever I have stuff coming via USPS, I ALWAYS have better tracking info. from the USPS site, than I do from CanPost, and that INCLUDES after the package is handed off to the CanPost side of the system. I have literally had packages in hand when CanPost tracking indicates it is still at the final terminal awaiting delivery.

It is quite possible that Canada Post had the item all along and just did not update the tracking information. Their tracking system is crap, and that is being generous. Whenever I have stuff coming via USPS, I ALWAYS have better tracking info. from the USPS site, than I do from CanPost, and that INCLUDES after the package is handed off to the CanPost side of the system. I have literally had packages in hand when CanPost tracking indicates it is still at the final terminal awaiting delivery.
Also some companies involve third-party companies for shipping which only cause longer delivery time

True, but I have seen no evidence that Karve does this. There IS a brush maker on the East Coast that does and, while it lowers the shipping cost marginally, I would have happily paid the extra for faster delivery, had I known.

Gotta admire a bit that admits when he's wrong. That's pretty rare. I hope you get your razor soon.
Thank
After emailing my order cancellation I finally got a response from Karve. He said he has my razor in front of him ready to ship and will do so today if I still want it. Ok, I'm game. Maybe it will actually happen.
I got my shipping notice today at 2am in the morning.

Last edited:
First time Karve owner here, since yesterday -- just wanted to ask about the machining on the SS razor... tiny bit disappointed by the machining of the threaded hole in the top of the handle where top cap screws in. How does yours look?

Machining on the grip of the handle is great.

Mine looks OK, but not sure what you mean....
What’s wrong with yours?

The inner thread in the handle (not the cap) looks roughly cut, like the machine slipped when cutting it.

Sorry not a machinist and don't know what the right word is for that.

Does it all thread together easily? If not, I would contact Chris. Take as good a quality image as you can, and send it along. I am sure if it is flawed, that Karve will make it right.

The inner thread in the handle (not the cap) looks roughly cut, like the machine slipped when cutting it.

Sorry not a machinist and don't know what the right word is for that.
Does it all thread together easily? If not, I would contact Chris. Take as good a quality image as you can, and send it along. I am sure if it is flawed, that Karve will make it right.

Agree with above.
I have to say I haven’t really looked very closely inside the thread of the handle (either on the SS or the brass one, I have both), so I’ll look now.
But the main thing is if it screws onto the top cap easily and smoothly.
If not, then definitely worth contacting Karve. Otherwise I wouldn’t personally worry too much, as it’s not really visible... but you might feel differently about it.

Last edited:
Agree with above.
I have to say I haven’t really looked very closely inside the thread of the handle (either on the SS or the brass one, I have both), so I’ll look now.

Thanks

It's not something I routinely check! The top cap screws in but does catch at the beginning and then screws in fine -- so I had a look to see why.

Top Bottom