What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I didn't enjoy the shave very much though. The way the "SS" is shaped made it impossible to shave with the blade angled certain ways.
Try a Feather Pro Super in your SS clone. It's a tiny but wider then the regular Pro blades, so it let's you go shallower, which is a more natural angle. I would have sold my SS if I had to use the non-Super blades.

I had a second go with the "SS" yesterday. :a36:
I might try it with the Super blades in the future but for now it's going back to the cabinet. I just don't like the way it shaves and especially not compared to my IBC.

Hey guys, my first post in this thread.

I started using a Feather SS kamisori on December 30th of 2017. I used it almost daily for about 30 days. It wasn't mine, so I had to return it to its rightful owner. At that point I switched over to a straight razor, which was a long learning curve, but I used a straight six days a week all through the rest of 2018. Early this year I was still using straight razors, but for some reason cooled on them and went back to DE/SE/AC safety razors.

A few weeks ago I wondered whether my feelings about the Feather SS might be different now that I have nearly 300 straight shaves under my belt, and if I used the folding kind, since I had never tried one. So I contacted a member who owns one and asked if he could send it to me for me to try it out before purchasing.

Sunday morning was my first shave with the folding SS, loaded with a ProGuard blade. My straight razor experience helped but also hindered a bit, as the shaving angle with the SS is so much steeper than with a real straight. It also threw me that the blade is so short compared with a straight razor edge. But, I got a pretty good shave.

This morning was my second shave with the razor. I had two days' growth. Much better this morning. I found the proper angle right away this time. I am still trying to get used to where the blade is and where it isn't, because it is so much shorter than a straight razor edge, but I have to say I got a fantastic shave this morning with one pass and a bit of jawline touch-up.

Too early to say right now, but I could see myself getting one of these and putting it into regular rotation, or even having one of these become my main razor. It's that good. If I do that, I'll likely sell off all my regular straight razors, although I may keep one or two for nostalgia's sake.

Anyway, it's not a straight razor, to be sure, but it's a darn good shaver. I think if I used it more it would become darn near automatic. And I like that you can just put a new blade in it and be good to go.

If I buy one, the main question will be whether to go with the black scales, which are boring but more sophisticated, or the lime green scales, which are more fun but look kind of silly to me. Hmmm......

I started using a Feather SS kamisori on December 30th of 2017. I used it almost daily for about 30 days. It wasn't mine, so I had to return it to its rightful owner. At that point I switched over to a straight razor, which was a long learning curve, but I used a straight six days a week all through the rest of 2018. Early this year I was still using straight razors, but for some reason cooled on them and went back to DE/SE/AC safety razors.

A few weeks ago I wondered whether my feelings about the Feather SS might be different now that I have nearly 300 straight shaves under my belt, and if I used the folding kind, since I had never tried one. So I contacted a member who owns one and asked if he could send it to me for me to try it out before purchasing.

Sunday morning was my first shave with the folding SS, loaded with a ProGuard blade. My straight razor experience helped but also hindered a bit, as the shaving angle with the SS is so much steeper than with a real straight. It also threw me that the blade is so short compared with a straight razor edge. But, I got a pretty good shave.

This morning was my second shave with the razor. I had two days' growth. Much better this morning. I found the proper angle right away this time. I am still trying to get used to where the blade is and where it isn't, because it is so much shorter than a straight razor edge, but I have to say I got a fantastic shave this morning with one pass and a bit of jawline touch-up.

Too early to say right now, but I could see myself getting one of these and putting it into regular rotation, or even having one of these become my main razor. It's that good. If I do that, I'll likely sell off all my regular straight razors, although I may keep one or two for nostalgia's sake.

Anyway, it's not a straight razor, to be sure, but it's a darn good shaver. I think if I used it more it would become darn near automatic. And I like that you can just put a new blade in it and be good to go.

If I buy one, the main question will be whether to go with the black scales, which are boring but more sophisticated, or the lime green scales, which are more fun but look kind of silly to me. Hmmm......

There's also a wine coloured one as well, isn't there? Don't forget though, there's also the Feather DX folding and non-folding, the Kai Captain folding and non-folding, the Kai Luffy, as well as some equally efficient but possibly not as polished versions as shown earlier in this thread. Don't limit yourself to the SS. You might consider trying some others before you decide on one you'll use long term.

I started using a Feather SS kamisori on.

Sunday morning was my first shave with the folding SS, loaded with a ProGuard blade. ....

Since you are experienced with straight razors, I would really encourage you to try one of the pro blades, without the guards. I used the guards when I was first learning, and they helped. But the regular line is so much smoother once you get the hang of it. I even use the super pros, as I have a fairly corse beard and only use the razor for more than two days growth. I am shocked how smooth and close the shave is even with several days of growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you are experienced with straight razors, I would really encourage you to try one of the pro blades, without the guards. I used the guards when I was first learning, and they helped. But the regular line is so much smoother once you get the hang of it. I even use the super pros, as I have a fairly corse beard and only use the razor for more than two days growth. I am shocked how smooth and close the shave is even with several days of growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting thought. When I tried the kamisori SS starting in late December of 2017, all I had on hand were Schick Prolines, and I did pretty well, even though I was a rank beginner to open blade shaving. I did get one pretty good nick once, but other than that I took it slow and steady, starting with just the cheeks first and gaining skill before I went to the difficult spots like the neck and chin.

I shaved with the folding SS again this morning using the same ProGuard blade. I got a nice, smooth shave without any problems whatsoever. I think I prefer the folding model to the kamisori, but maybe it's because I only used the kamisori for about a month and thereafter all my open blade shaves were with regular straight razors, so I got used to that format.

I have to return this folding SS to its owner soon. But I still have some of those Prolines left. Perhaps I'll switch out the ProGuard to a Proline for my next shave and just see how it goes.

Hey peeps i too have taken an interest in shavettes mainly due to their low maintenance nature because at the time being i have little free time in my hands to justify the purchase of a straight . Thinking of getting the tgs shibumi along with probably a parker sr in the following weeks. With time the collection will grow . If my interest (and technique) grows il go for a more expensive one like a feather perhaps . Happy shaving :) .

Hey peeps i too have taken an interest in shavettes mainly due to their low maintenance nature because at the time being i have little free time in my hands to justify the purchase of a straight . Thinking of getting the tgs shibumi along with probably a parker sr in the following weeks. With time the collection will grow . If my interest (and technique) grows il go for a more expensive one like a feather perhaps . Happy shaving :) .

I don't think the Shibumi is worth the money, as it uses a pretty cheap mechanism for holding the blade. I think it's more of a novelty than a practical razor. The Parker SR1 definitely holds the blade securely and is a good starting point for half-DE shavettes. You can find generic shavettes for about $5-10 that use an identical blade holding mechanism as the Parker

For my money, I'd go right to the AC type blade shavettes. I find the shave quality and ease of use to be so much better than DE blade shavettes. The blades also last a lot longer and easily justify the per-blade cost difference. As you'll notice from perusing this thread, you get use AC blades without splurging on a Feather razor.

Try CJB (ebay ~$20) or Univinlions (Aliexpress ~$10 w/ blades) for a fixed-handle AC blade holder
Try the Vincent VT1321 (ebay ~$12), N06R Feather SS clone (aliexpress ~$14), or the RF-29 Feather DXish clone (shearsdirect.com ~$20) for a folding handle

If you're new to shavettes, I'd recommend the Kai Protouch guarded blades. They are darn near idiot proof to use. You could always get an assortment of AC style blades from try-a-blade.

That's my two cents.

Rob

I don't think the Shibumi is worth the money, as it uses a pretty cheap mechanism for holding the blade. I think it's more of a novelty than a practical razor. The Parker SR1 definitely holds the blade securely and is a good starting point for half-DE shavettes. You can find generic shavettes for about $5-10 that use an identical blade holding mechanism as the Parker

For my money, I'd go right to the AC type blade shavettes. I find the shave quality and ease of use to be so much better than DE blade shavettes. The blades also last a lot longer and easily justify the per-blade cost difference. As you'll notice from perusing this thread, you get use AC blades without splurging on a Feather razor.

Try CJB (ebay ~$20) or Univinlions (Aliexpress ~$10 w/ blades) for a fixed-handle AC blade holder
Try the Vincent VT1321 (ebay ~$12), N06R Feather SS clone (aliexpress ~$14), or the RF-29 Feather DXish clone (shearsdirect.com ~$20) for a folding handle

If you're new to shavettes, I'd recommend the Kai Protouch guarded blades. They are darn near idiot proof to use. You could always get an assortment of AC style blades from try-a-blade.

That's my two cents.

Rob
Thanks for the insight rob ! Il be honest and say i want the tgs because of the looks for now im using a parker style shavette and was thinking of a feather ss clone. Guess il make it a priority . Thanks once more .

I don't think the Shibumi is worth the money, as it uses a pretty cheap mechanism for holding the blade. I think it's more of a novelty than a practical razor.

I beg to differ. That small amount of money the Shibumi costs is well spent with it.
The blade holder is not uncommon - many other shavettes (including some of the Parkers, at that) use the same - it is not really user / finger friendly though, I agree. But no moving parts, no problems; it holds the blade fast and quite rigid (something I personally prefer with them filmsy half DE baldes).

For me the Shibumi is a very practical razor - I use it in my travel kit. It is small. I can buy replacement blades practically anywhere. I like its weight (it is heavier than a Feather SS kami!) It is an aggressive little beast with almost any DE blade. Never fails to DFS or DFS+ with only 2 passes. But it is bloodthirsty, as most half DE shavettes. And its manufacturing quality - IMHO, YMMV, ETC - is at least one class better than cheap Chinese AC DX clones (like the Univinlion).

It is definitely not one for a beginner straight/wet shaver.

I like it, I used it for almost a year as may go-to razor, but I switched to Kai Captain and Schick Problades - they have longer lifespan, more comfortable shave.

For me the Shibumi is a very practical razor - I use it in my travel kit. It is small. I can buy replacement blades practically anywhere. I like its weight (it is heavier than a Feather SS kami!) It is an aggressive little beast with almost any DE blade. Never fails to DFS or DFS+ with only 2 passes. But it is bloodthirsty, as most half DE shavettes. And its manufacturing quality - IMHO, YMMV, ETC - is at least one class better than cheap Chinese AC DX clones (like the Univinlion).

I'm totally with you on the YMMV, and that goes for just about anything in this hobby of ours. I'm just not a fan of the blade-holding mechanism of the Shibumi. It's the identical mechanism used by this razor (see below), which I got for $7 at Sally Beauty Supply.
proxy.php

As compared to the Parker SR1 (below), which really clamps the heck out of it.

proxy.php

Ultimately, I find that most people who decide to enter the shavette world (both you and I included) will eventually find themselves migrating to AC-Type blades. So I typically advise people to skip the half-DE shavettes and go right to the AC blades.

I can't speak directly to the Univinlion (Kai Captain clone) manufacturing quality, although people on this thread have said good things about it. I do have the CJB ($20) that I use regularly. The quality is excellent, and I get superb shaves with it. It shaves just as well as my genuine Kai Captain. Same goes for my Vincent VT1321 (below). It's basically like a Dovo shavette that accepts AC blades - no frills, but a delightful shave. My point is that you can get into AC-type shavettes without spending a fortune.

proxy.php

To me, the only real advantage of using DE or half-DE shavettes is blade availability while traveling with only a carry-on. If the price would come down a bit, I might consider adding a Dark Stag to the collection, as opposed o the Shibumi.

But if the travel issue is moot, I'd highly recommend AC blade shavettes, even for a noob

I had a second go with the "SS" yesterday. :a36:
I might try it with the Super blades in the future but for now it's going back to the cabinet. I just don't like the way it shaves and especially not compared to my IBC.

I never tried the SS, but I figured it wasn't for me as soon as I saw this illustration.
proxy.php

I started with straights before getting into shavettes, so the idea of gliding anything but the blade edge against my face seems awkward to me. I ended up getting the Kai Captain (~$80 on ebay including a pack of blades). I have since picked up a few other clones and AC compatible holders. None of them are modeled after the SS, and they all perform exceptionally well. If you don't want to spend upwards of $175 for a DX, you could consider these other options.

For a straight razor guy like @kingfisher, I'd also recommend steering clear of the SS.

I know the SS has a strong following and is designed to be more forgiving. For me, if I want a shave that is forgiving, I'll pop in a guarded blade.

rs-776, too late.

I ordered the SS off Amazon last night. It will be delivered on Thursday.

I agree that it's a lot different from a straight razor; the bump requires you to use a steeper angle. Takes a bit of getting used to. On the flip side, for a shavette it makes it feel extremely safe and smooth. I think it also makes it so less skin stretching is required, since it stretches a bit and lifts up the hairs.

I tried a borrowed one for 4 shaves. The first few strokes felt a bit strange because I was used to straights, but once I got the hang of it I found it smooth and comfortable.

To each his own, I guess. I thought hard about the Kai Captain, as well, but couldn't afford both and so I bought the one I had actually tried. Better safe than sorry. After I've used it for a few weeks I'll let you know whether I made the right decision or not.

I’m always happy to read about more razors and Sabre members!
I always loved trying new things but I’ve only used my Zazor for the past few months and have felt no desire to use anything else. It’s a surprising feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Bluebriz this one is for you.

I saw a Zaza like shavette with folding scales in a SOTD picture in a Spanish forum.
I think it's this razor:
proxy.php

Still can't find any information about it.

@Bluebriz this one is for you.

I saw a Zaza like shavette with folding scales in a SOTD picture in a Spanish forum.
I think it's this razor:
proxy.php

Still can't find any information about it.

That is an interesting one. It's like a combination of the Daune and the Zazor. I would love to know more if you can find out anything.

On another note,

For those contemplating a Univinlions (Kai Captian clone) but don't want to deal with the hassle and lead time of Aliexpress, you may consider the following, available from Amazon:

Facon Premium Razors - Japanese Barber Razor

I saw one of these on a Facebook SOTD and decided to google it. It appears to be identical to the Univinlions. For about $5 more than the Univinlions from Aliexpress and eligible for Prime shipping....not too shabby.

proxy.php

SSotD (Shavette Shave of the Day)
Universal Lama Intera
Derby Professional (x2)
Tabac (not pictured)
Semogue 2040HD
IMG_20190905_082651.jpg

Second use of the Derby Pro. Second time with blood in the lather. Just a little nick on the top of my Adams Apple. Last time it was a vertical cut under my lower lip. Overall a smooth comfortable shave but I'm wondering if these blades are for me...

SSotD (Shavette Shave of the Day)
Universal Lama Intera
Derby Professional (x2)
Tabac (not pictured)
Semogue 2040HD
View attachment 1014260

Second use of the Derby Pro. Second time with blood in the lather. Just a little nick on the top of my Adams Apple. Last time it was a vertical cut under my lower lip. Overall a smooth comfortable shave but I'm wondering if these blades are for me...

@RumpleBearskin,

After getting somewhat proficient with half-DE shavettes and that exact blade, I migrated to AC-type blade shavettes. Nowadays, anytime I try to shave with a half-DE (which is seldom), I have to be super careful to avoid nicks & weepers. That speaks volumes about the ease of use and forgiving nature of AC-type blades (although there are quite a few blade types available with different benefits/drawbacks). So I would recommend going that route if these blades keep "biting" you.

That said, I did just order a pack of the Vincent Sigma blades. They are single-edge blades that are designed to fit half-DE shavettes. They are considerably thicker than standard DE blades, but they are designed to fit most shavettes (probably not the Focus Slim though). I'll post a review once I've shaved with one. It may give me a reason to bring half-DE shavettes back into the rotation, and it may be a solution for you.

proxy.php

Top Bottom