What's new

Are you a common man shaver or a niche shaver?

Razor mods are uber niche.

Nothing more niche than making your own handles, since each one is unique....

AJ Alu.jpg

Before joining B&B I thought I had too many razors by owning 2 DE and 1 SE. Only had one razor (my Slim) when I was in the Navy, You learn how to minimalize your shave kit when there is not much space in your locker. Blades were always Wilkinson Sword. Soaps I got what was available and cheap. But I did spoil myself by changing over to a bowl when I watched my Uncle press soap into his bowl. Nothing notable till I got to B&B.
Now I'm still a common man shaver, just have a lot of common man stuff. Only 55 razors, mostly vintage and only 15 brushes, mostly vintage. Soap? only 3, Cella Kilo, Arko bowl pressed and Williams/Dove mix. After Shave is also only 3, I like Lucky Tiger Bay Rum, Pinaud Bay Rum and my Home Made.
My Wife always liked my smooth shaves and she says that at my age I can spoil myself a little as long as I clean up after myself. She likes touching my face while we have our coffee in the morning. Looking back, I guess I'm just an ordinary man enjoying an extraordinary shave.

Amazing post. Simplicity never fails to capture beauty.

Nothing more niche than making your own handles, since each one is unique....

View attachment 1013806

I was surprised how noticeable was adding few extra grams to the Piccolo mk1 by swapping its base plate from the thicker Grande mk2. I'm a believer in razor balance effect on performance. It's like aerodynamics in Formula 1. The final engineering level.

Last edited:
I'm more of a buy once, cry once quality seeker, so I can straddle both camps.

I kept my Fatip as the only DE I still own. QC and finish could be better, but performance is great. I never bought a >$50 DE. didn't need to.

my Gem 1912 and MMOC weren't expensive but give stellar performance. I haven't wanted to seek past them.

I have $5-400 straights. they all shave well. I can hone on film or a JNAT and get a high quality edge.

I have a $7 Omega that impresses me to no end on the low end to a $10 (raffle win) M&F Chubby. I also bought a used M&F 21mm L7. I have kept the brushes that have good performance and face feel.

I have Royall Lyme, TOBS Eton College, and Speick AS, Imaginary Authors' cologne and have liked Creed samplers and Musgo Real AS samplers. I do think the more spent on producing scents tend to last longer on the skin than more inexpensive offerings.

I seek quality and performance before all else.

M

member 119848

Nice thread.
I have fallen into the niche group when I started buying high-end razors... but that was not intentional! I was drawn by the quality of CNC milled stainless steel razors.
I have sold those razors partly because they were too heavy, and partly because they had become some sort of burden being so luxurious. I want to be a common man that enjoys shaving. So I went back to Fatip, and am getting happy shaves. I´m seeking frugality in my life, but I´m caught into the shaving passion that we all share here...
Just a thought: are we (B&B members) not a niche? :001_smile I think most of us are shaving freeks.

I'm somewhere between the two camps.

I don't think any razor I've purchased cost me over $50, no soap over $20. I do admit to splurging on a Simpson BK8 to the tune of $70, but that's about the worst.

I find the TOTAL cost of my collection to be a bit intimidating, but I'm a skinflint.

Is 'Niche' defined as razor >$100, brush >$50, soaps >$15 and the like?

Niche as in exclusive, off the norm, can be posh, typically ends up costing more but not necessarily. Both $80 Kai Captain and $180 Feather DX kamisoris are niche shaving. It's not all about the price tag, but their blades do cost a bit more. Takes to be a particular type of person to ditch the DE89 and Astras and start doing kamisori shavettes.

Timeless .95
Grizzly Bay/TurnNShave/Spiffo brushes
MdC/B&M/WSP/Chatillon Lux/ etc....

Never tried the cheaper soaps, really.

Started off with a big box of artisan soaps from a friend and it just seemed to me it made sense to buy more of what I liked.

Niche I guess.

I will say one of my favorite brushes is a $12 Razorock synthetic though.

Well, this is a hobby for some of us (would never have guessed I'd be saying that about shaving) so it is typical to go overboard a bit. We are pampering ourselves and as long as we don't spend more than we can afford it's all good.

So cool to read so many different ways that people experience this great hobby.

I'm not sure...

I own 4 razors (1st was a dud, so say 3) and don't change often: I enjoy mastering one more than mixing it up.

I have 3 brushes... my original cheap badger that I used for ages and was disintegrating. A $10 Proraso Boar to feel what that's like for my brother (I will give him a DE shaving kit for his birthday) and then the only brush I actually use: A Chubby3 Manchurian, or the Dictator's brush as @naughtilus calls it;)

Software is a completely different story though. I hardly expanded for a long time, but in the last few months I discovered how much I enjoy standing in my shaving-den and think: What am I in the mood for today. It is all about the experience here.
I have 2, maybe 3 scents I really love and consider 100% pleasing. The rest are quite distinct, pronounced scents that I love for the experience, and less for just smelling nice. Every day is completely different and I love that about this amount of choice. I also enjoy the different performance and "feel" of different soaps.

Oh, and I might have had an e-mail exchange with the maker of The Obsessive Soap Perfectionist, telling him to get his head out of his arse and not give up on his amazing talent for making soaps:S Can't tell you how relieved I was that he had a sense of humour:)

Ha! I like the Chinese Wilkies (made for the Indian market)! :a14::a14:
Oh boy you got me there.
I had completely forgotten about
Those blades,they are pretty good &
Well liked and according too most of
The reviews I've read they are at #1
Spot for Gillette Wilkies.

I honestly don’t know where I fall. Right know I’m switching between the GC 84 OC and PAA Ascension, Razorock 400 with the noir knot, Aqua Velva Ice Blue and soap samples from BM, Stirling, and Siliski soaps.
But I also enjoy using the Paradigm SE and Rex Ambassador.

If you crave for the best there is and not what does the job, then you might be more of a niche shaver, seeking obscure products and solutions.

I have an artisan soap that's not widely available even in specialized shaving stores online. It is my best performer, best scented, easiest to lather, and whatever accolades you can think of. But that's not the only soap I shave with. It's merely just another soap in the arsenal for me. I love using Tabac, MWF, DRH, Proraso, Arko and locally store bought creams.

Top Bottom