What's new

Do I need another brush?

This is honesty here guys. I don't know alot about this style of shaving. I know I lean towards a simpler style of doing things. I know both my grand father's did this.

It has turned into almost a dang lifestyle. I actually enjoy shaving. Seeing if I can do better or find a way to make this shave today better.

The question about multiple brushes was sincere. People only used one brush forever. But times change and I wanted to know your real reasons. I assumed it was a two fold deal. Make brushes last longer by letting them dry. Then also, the same reason a guy that has been shaving for 6 months has 4 razors. He just wants more.

I pretty much knew the answers I was gonna get but I wanted honest answers.

Thank you to everyone in this post. It makes coming to this site fun.

KM

This is honesty here guys. I don't know alot about this style of shaving. I know I lean towards a simpler style of doing things. I know both my grand father's did this.

It has turned into almost a dang lifestyle. I actually enjoy shaving. Seeing if I can do better or find a way to make this shave today better.

The question about multiple brushes was sincere. People only used one brush forever. But times change and I wanted to know your real reasons. I assumed it was a two fold deal. Make brushes last longer by letting them dry. Then also, the same reason a guy that has been shaving for 6 months has 4 razors. He just wants more.

I pretty much knew the answers I was gonna get but I wanted honest answers.

Thank you to everyone in this post. It makes coming to this site fun.

KM

It all depends on what wet shaving is to you. If shaving is just a necessary daily task and nothing more, then I would adapt a simplistic approach and use one brush and soap/cream until finished.

If shaving, however, becomes a hobby where you elicit enjoyment aside from the hair removal, then you will tend to try more types of gear (razors, blades, brushes, software). Then, it becomes a factor of disposable income and storage space.

So, I would encourage you to buy what "speaks to you" and embodies your style. The BST boards can give some pretty deep discounts on oftentimes lightly used gear for some of the higher ticket items.

In terms of brushes, everyone should try badger, boar and synthetic brush types if they are able. Only the badger will cost higher and there are cheaper options at that also.

1 synthetic brush is all you need. Superior to any other hair type, way more sanitary, cheaper and fast drying.

Don't get me wrong boars are great too. I was surprised to find that my Omega is almost as soft as my Yaqi but with stronger backbone.

Boars are about backbone and face feel. They're unique - you can't get that exact feel from synths or badgers. It's another world. Very cheap to buy into if you don't have one, but it's a slippery slope.

Indeed, both my synths have good backbone but they don't feel the same as my boar.

It's funny, but I'd also say my Yaqi Tuxedo knots have good backbone, maybe in a more subtle way, but it doesn't feel anything like the backbone in a boar, which is very obvious.

Bwa-ha-ha!
proxy.php

Our work here is done.
Another Kids in the Hall fan!

***UPDATE***

I see Stirling has a new combo out of a scent that a wore before wet shaving. So I had to buy it. Don't tell my wife as just yesterday I told her I wouldn't be buying any more soap.

So I purchased the Stirling boar brush with the soap and AS.

So. It. Begins.

The brush rabbit hole.

KM

***UPDATE***

I see Stirling has a new combo out of a scent that a wore before wet shaving. So I had to buy it. Don't tell my wife as just yesterday I told her I wouldn't be buying any more soap.

So. It. Begins.

The brush rabbit hole.

KM
It's only the beginning. Just wait for it...

Anyways, congrats! Hope you like all of your purchases!

***UPDATE***

So. It. Begins.

The brush rabbit hole.

KM

Was the soap/AS the one inspired by Azzaro Chrome? If so, please let us know how you like it after you use it.

I have 2 synths and a badger from west coast shaving, their brand and an Omega 10098 pro boar brush. As far as I’m concerned, they are all excellent brushes. I rotate the badger and boar daily through the week when I’m off work and rotate the 2 synths on the weekends when I work. I figured brushed are cheap enough to have at least one of each and that was my only logic. I just wanted to try one of each.

I don’t have a horse hair and don’t really have a desire for one.

Just do you and have fun.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Indeed, both my synths have good backbone but they don't feel the same as my boar.
Can I ask which Synthetics do you have? Wondering if one is an S-brush? I have only used a boar a few times, but my S-brush is close to it... Well, closer than any of my other synths. Lol.

If you really like boars, I think the S-brush is a good 'travel Boar'. Almost boar feeling, but dries in hours, not weeks. [emoji16]

Was the soap/AS the one inspired by Azzaro Chrome? If so, please let us know how you like it after you use it.

Yes it is. If they get it shipped out today I should see it Thursday. I have been on a Bay Rum Friday kick as of late but if I get this it will probably happen on Friday.

KM

Top Bottom