What's new

Favorite "Modern" cream,soap,gel,foam, etc

I get Pro Shave from online barber supply sites. It has a good amount of slickness and a menthol kick. I have read other people say it's similar to old Noxzema brushless shave cream. Cost $5.45 for 8oz tub and about $20 for their huge 48oz tub

pro_shave-8oz.jpg
2-proshave-48_1.jpg

So Im guessing were talking whats commerically available in supermarkets, not artisan soaps. For that, Id have to go with good ole Barbasol or Gillette Foamy.
Im not a big fan of brushless creams or gels. I dont like the brushless stuff because theres no lather and I cant tell where I havent shaved yet and I dont like gels because they tend to gum up my razors.
With Barbasol/Foamy, its dirt cheap, lasts a long time (a golf ball sized amount per pass is plenty for me) and if you add a bit of water to it you can get lots of slickness out of it.
I agree with most of what you said . The thing with not knowing where you shaved with brushless creams is an easy problem. Wet and use your other hand , and feel wear you need to shave . This also keeps your skin slick and you know what needs to be shaved. Lack of residual slickness is because of not adding a little more water .Creams like Cremo have residual slickness if only you add some wetness.

I get Pro Shave from online barber supply sites. It has a good amount of slickness and a menthol kick. I have read other people say it's similar to old Noxzema brushless shave cream. Cost $5.45 for 8oz tub and about $20 for their huge 48oz tub

I just started using Pro-shave as a pre-shave and after shave touch up. Also a great after-shave face cream. If you've never tried this buy some--it's cheap. This stuff is a hoot. Smells like a mild VapoRub, too.

I picked up Bump Patrol's Cool Shave Gel on a whim. I don't have a problem with razor bumps, just wanted to see how it performs. In a word--great. Great slickness provides remarkable razor glide. It lathers like a beast using a brush. You could probably work up a nice lather with just your hand. But it certainly isn't meant to be brushless.

I have a can of Barbasol Extra-moisturizing foam. It performs better than some of the lesser shaving soaps in my den. However, it does not come close to my best artisan soaps.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
@RayClem

With canned foams, I kind of just go by residual slickness. They all have excellent foam and cushion. In fact if using a cart, I need to thin them down. They are fine straight away for DE or SE.

I prefer ones in which the foam leaves enough residual slickness that I can make a touchup here or there over an area that was just shaved and let the razor glide without the application of additional foam. Some brands leave the skin almost grabby. The Noxema in the Red can falls into that camp for me. Prorasso and Foamy are better. Gotta give one of my flavors of Barbasol another try, I can't remember how it did.

@RayClem

With canned foams, I kind of just go by residual slickness. They all have excellent foam and cushion. In fact if using a cart, I need to thin them down. They are fine straight away for DE or SE.

I prefer ones in which the foam leaves enough residual slickness that I can make a touchup here or there over an area that was just shaved and let the razor glide without the application of additional foam. Some brands leave the skin almost grabby. The Noxema in the Red can falls into that camp for me. Prorasso and Foamy are better. Gotta give one of my flavors of Barbasol another try, I can't remember how it did.

I have found with artisan soaps that residual slickness and post shave conditioning often go hand in hand. The residual fats that give a great post shave feel also provide great residual slickness. The Barbasol extra moisturizing has a post shave feel that rivals many artisan soaps, although not the best artisan soaps. Likewise, the residual slickness is very good. Although I love artisan soaps, I could get by with this product.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Barbasol extra moisturizing has a post shave feel that rivals many artisan soaps, although not the best artisan soaps.
Hmmm, I don't have any of that flavor, but I do have the stuff in the Yellow can that the Purple can seemingly is the replacement for. I'll give that a try. I was a bit skeptical that some of the higher dollar soaps were actually better than the cheap ones, but having tried a few there are some improvements over most of the cheaper soaps.

I find that lack of agreement over which are the better soaps/cremes is similar to the lack of agreement over which are the better blades, and DE and SE razors. There is a reason why we see YMMV so often on the shaving forums!

I do enjoy reading the various opinions and comments, but I have found what is best is a very individual and subjective determination.

I find that lack of agreement over which are the better soaps/cremes is similar to the lack of agreement over which are the better blades, and DE and SE razors. There is a reason why we see YMMV so often on the shaving forums!

I do enjoy reading the various opinions and comments, but I have found what is best is a very individual and subjective determination.

Absolutely! Shavers come from all over the world. Some are quite young, some are quite old. Thus, there are large differences in skin type: dry vs oily, thin vs thick, taut vs saggy, sensitive vs tough. Likewise, there are large differences in beard hair type from very fine and sparse to very coarse and thick. A teenager just learning to shave is going to have needs and preferences that differ greatly from an old man who has been shaving for 50+ years. The best you can hope for is to find reviewers whose needs and preferences are similar to yours and rely on their comments.

Cremo is very good stuff. I gave some to my S.O. to try and she was very impressed and ditched her can of foam.

I also think the latherless Barbasol is fine, but Cremo is better. Barbasol is very hard to find, but it's closer to the original than the stuff you get in a can.

Top Bottom