What's new

Ever Ready Streamline Razor

I have been searching for an affordable ER Streamline for a while now, and finally one showed up. It was relatively affordable because the Set was just the Streamline and blade boxes, and did not include stropper and all that other fancy stuff that no one uses.

When it finally arrived, I immediately compared the Streamline with it's two predesessors, the 1912 Dome Cap and the Damanskeene. When I took the pictures, I was surprised at how the three razors differed significantly from each other.

DSC02055.JPG
DSC02056.JPG
DSC02057.JPG

The 1912 Dome Cap (on the right in profile pic) had a lather catcher that was slanted back and was smaller, thus making the head almost flat. The Damaskeene (in the middle) had a larger lather catcher and was more upright. The entire head slanted down more and the top cap was the most domed of all three razors. The Streamline (on the left) got rid of the lather catcher entirely and ended up being more of a cross between a 1924 and a 1912. The angle of the head was closer to the Damaskeene, but the top cap was not as domed.

The construction of the Streamline was significantly different that the 1912 and Damaskeene. It appears that the base plate could either have been cast or stamped with a thicker sheet metal than the 1912 and Damaskeene. The spring assembly and the blade channel was more fortified and it weighed significantly more. The handle was heftier and it was like a tank compared to the other two. I can see where many consider this to be be the best of the vintage Gem blade razors.

DSC02060.JPG
DSC02058.JPG

Okay, so enough of the comparisons, how does it shave?

First pass was WTG. As with all my Gem blade razors, I start off with the angle that the top cap gives. In the case of the Streamline, it did require some attempts as the guard is more rounded and thicker than the others, and the top cap was relatively flat. One thing I noticed immediately was that there was significant blade feel. This surprised me as the 1912 and Damaskeene were relatively mild shavers. On a positive note, the razor was so heavy that it was easy to go with no pressure and let the razor do the work. At the end of the WTG pass, I finally dialed in the angle and the first pass was not the most comfortable or efficient.

Second pass was ATG. I learned a lot from the first pass, and the ATG pass was more comfortable, but I still had to be aware of the angles. Again, the ATG pass was very efficient, but definitely the shave would not get me confused with the 1912.

I just did a touch up after the ATG pass, as found out that the shave was very efficient. In the end I was rewarded with a BBS shave.

Overall, I must say that shaving with the Streamline was a complete surprise. The proper angle was not as intuitive to find as the other Gem blade razors and it was more aggressive than I expected. It did, however, give me a two pass BBS shave with minimal touch up. I know I definitely need to spend more time with the Streamline as it is not as simple or as easy as the other Gem blade razors.

Last edited:
I have been searching for an affordable ER Streamline for a while now, and finally one showed up. It was relatively affordable because the Set was just the Streamline and blade boxes, and did not include stropper and all that other fancy stuff that no one uses.

When it finally arrived, I immediately compared the Streamline with it's two predesessors, the 1912 Dome Cap and the Damanskeene. When I took the pictures, I was surprised at how the three razors differed significantly from each other.

View attachment 873279 View attachment 873280 View attachment 873281

The 1912 Dome Cap (on the right in profile pic) had a lather catcher that was slanted back and was smaller, thus making the head almost flat. The Damaskeene (in the middle) had a larger lather catcher and was more upright. The entire head slanted down more and the top cap was the most domed of all three razors. The Streamline (on the left) got rid of the lather catcher entirely and ended up being more of a cross between a 1924 and a 1912. The angle of the head was closer to the Damaskeene, but the top cap was not as domed.

The construction of the Streamline was significantly different that the 1912 and Damaskeene. It appears that the base plate could either have been cast or stamped with a thicker sheet metal than the 1912 and Damaskeene. The spring assembly and the blade channel was more fortified and it weighed significantly more. The handle was heftier and it was like a tank compared to the other two. I can see where many consider this to be be the best of the vintage Gem blade razors.

View attachment 873282 View attachment 873283

Okay, so enough of the comparisons, how does it shave?

First pass was WTG. As with all my Gem blade razors, I start off with the angle that the top cap gives. In the case of the Streamline, it did require some attempts as the guard is more rounded and thicker than the others, and the top cap was relatively flat. One thing I noticed immediately was that there was significant blade feel. This surprised me as the 1912 and Damaskeene were relatively mild shavers. On a positive note, the razor was so heavy that it was easy to go with no pressure and let the razor do the work. At the end of the WTG pass, I finally dialed in the angle and the first pass was not the most comfortable or efficient.

Second pass was ATG. I learned a lot from the first pass, and the ATG pass was more comfortable, but I still had to be aware of the angles. Again, the ATG pass was very efficient, but definitely the shave would not get me confused with the 1912.

I just did a touch up after the ATG pass, as found out that the shave was very efficient. In the end I was rewarded with a BBS shave.

Overall, I must say that shaving with the Streamline was a complete surprise. The proper angle was not as intuitive to find as the other Gem blade razors and it was more aggressive than I expected. It did, however, give me a two pass BBS shave with minimal touch up. I know I definitely need to spend more time with the Streamline as it is not as simple or as easy as the other Gem blade razors.
Nice write up. I have read that some get irration from the Streamline and don't enjoy the shave.
This is one razor I would love to own but usually can't afford. Look forward to your future findings.

There is a large thread on the streamline called cult of the streamline I think, it is a fantastic singe edge razor. I have a couple collector sets and one I use.

There's a lot more variation in 1912s than just that. I have dozens of 1912s, and they are all different.

There's a lot more variation in 1912s than just that. I have dozens of 1912s, and they are all different.
I have/had a bunch of 1912 variations also, however I was comparing the dome cap version since it seemed more appropriate to the point I was trying to make. It was a thread on my observations of the Streamline, and not one on the different 1912s.

The 1912 Dome Cap (on the right in profile pic) had a lather catcher that was slanted back and was smaller, thus making the head almost flat.
That razor is bent. The backside should be much more vertical, like the Damaskeene.

Give the Streamline more time. It's probably #2 or #3 on the aggressiveness scale for GEM-style SEs. The 1930s British 1912 is the king of blade exposure (see below) Some say the squat 1912 also has mondo exposure, but I've never seen one in person.

Enjoy the Streamline - it shaves as good as it looks.
proxy.php

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice looking razors, thanks for the information. I can't get the angle right to use an SE without finishing up with a blood bath.

I could never get a really good shave out of my Streamline and believe me I tired cause I loved the way it looked. It always felt harsh against my ski. I find the MMOC was more efficient and a smoother shaver so I sold mine.

Okay, round two with the Streamline. This time I used the tactic of some of our fanatic members and loaded my 1912 Dome Cap and my Streamline and shaved half my face with each. I came away with similar impressions from my first shave. The 1912 had almost no blade feel and was very comfortable going around my face with the first pass. The Streamline, even after using the comfortable angle, still had significant blade feel and audible feedback. WTG pass went to the Streamline as it cleared more whiskers (and I could have left it as a one pass DFS). ATG pass was a little different as I could feel the 1912 work a little harder clearing whiskers it left in the first pass. The Streamline was smoother, but still had more blade feel. After the second pass, advantage went to the Streamline and so it did the touch up pass and once again I ended up with a BBS. In comparing the two shaves, I think of my Lutz differential slant with the aggressive side being the Streamline, and the mild side being the 1912. For those that are not familiar with the Lutz, the Streamline would be 3.5-4 on a Variant and the 1912 about a 1.5-2. Or to interpret it in @rudyt terms, the Streamline feels like shaving with a Weck blade after 15 shaves. ;-)

This razor is starting to grow on me.

Just keep in mind that increased blade feel does not imply harsh. If we didn’t like lots of blade feel, we wouldn’t use Wecks, which have more blade feel than any safety razor

There is one selling on eBay for $35 including the case and auto stropper, the seller is not aware of what he has.

Wow. Is it worth the price? Or is the blackland Sabre a better alternatives
Apparently they sell for a lot more. Have not tried the Sabre L2, but the L1 was too mild and I could nougat a Shave with it. L2 is supposed to be better.

I first used the Streamline about 8 months ago. I now own three different sets, all 2nd generation (im still on the lookout for a user grade 1st gen)!

I have not used another razor since - it is the most efficient and smoothest razor I have ever used, and its looks our OUTSTANDING!

Enjoy your shaves with it.

There is one selling on eBay for $35 including the case and auto stropper, the seller is not aware of what he has.
I want one! Bad. I love my 1912 gems. The looks and rareness of this razor make it all the more desirable!

I've got most of the variants of the GEM/ER's, including G1 and G2 Streamliners. I find the streamliner to be mild, good weight, finish and feel, but head feels mild compared to other models. I love the Junior Bar and 1910 for looks and feel, but probably give the 1914 the prize for best of the bunch if you like aggressive.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Okay, round two with the Streamline. This time I used the tactic of some of our fanatic members and loaded my 1912 Dome Cap and my Streamline and shaved half my face with each. I came away with similar impressions from my first shave. The 1912 had almost no blade feel and was very comfortable going around my face with the first pass. The Streamline, even after using the comfortable angle, still had significant blade feel and audible feedback. WTG pass went to the Streamline as it cleared more whiskers (and I could have left it as a one pass DFS). ATG pass was a little different as I could feel the 1912 work a little harder clearing whiskers it left in the first pass. The Streamline was smoother, but still had more blade feel. After the second pass, advantage went to the Streamline and so it did the touch up pass and once again I ended up with a BBS. In comparing the two shaves, I think of my Lutz differential slant with the aggressive side being the Streamline, and the mild side being the 1912. For those that are not familiar with the Lutz, the Streamline would be 3.5-4 on a Variant and the 1912 about a 1.5-2. Or to interpret it in @rudyt terms, the Streamline feels like shaving with a Weck blade after 15 shaves. ;-)

This razor is starting to grow on me.
I'm happy you found one, and even happier that it's starting to grow on you. I chased and came close to pulling the trigger several times, but based on what I've read it isn't the razor for me...so I've backed off and taken it off my acquisition list for now. I love reading about your shaves and your reviews, so please keep them coming.

Top Bottom