What's new

Gillette Guard

It's an unusual razor, to me it kind of bridges the SE\cartridge\disposable divide. It is like a SE, except for the pivoting head and it is packaged like a disposable in multiple packs with both handles and attached cartridges. I'm not sure how much durability there is with this very light handle, I'm experimenting to see how many shaves I can get out of it. From a recycling perspective, I'd prefer the traditional cartridge razor model, though I can't see how it can withstand much wear and tear.

It's an unusual razor, to me it kind of bridges the SE\cartridge\disposable divide. It is like a SE, except for the pivoting head and it is packaged like a disposable in multiple packs with both handles and attached cartridges. I'm not sure how much durability there is with this very light handle, I'm experimenting to see how many shaves I can get out of it. From a recycling perspective, I'd prefer the traditional cartridge razor model, though I can't see how it can withstand much wear and tear.

My handle seems to be holding up very well so far. Environmentally I think the Guard would still come out on top, there's just so much less of everything used in its manufacturing, I think even double blade cartridges would possibly overtake a Guard and a couple of handle replacements, let alone the 5 blade monstrosities you can get these days.*

*No Science at all was used in this opinion.

Last edited:
My handle seems to be holding up very well so far. Environmentally I think the Guard would still come out on top, there's just so much less of everything used in its manufacturing, I think even double blade cartridges would possibly overtake a Guard and a couple of handle replacements, let alone the 5 blade monstrosities you can get these days.*

*No Science at all was used in this opinion.
You make a great point, the handle (plastic only) and the single blade cartridge is much more environmentally friendly than the typical mixed material multi-blade razors. Of course, nothing beats a DE blade for being recyclable!

Interesting to me that the various packs of Guard carts would vary at all in quality.
I didn't know that the carts came in multi-packs. All of the Guard carts I've bought have been in long, perforated strips of single-wrapped carts. It surprises me that they would vary in quality.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
All of the Guard carts I've bought have been in long, perforated strips of single-wrapped carts.

I got a 10 pack which were a handle with a cartridge attached. They were individually wrapped but in a perforated strip like you say.

I have blades that came in 3 packs, and the individually wrapped blades that come in a long strip. I’ve not noticed a difference I performance between them. All have been excellent.

Since discovering this, it has become my regular work day razor. It's just to quick, easy, comfortable and fool proof. I still don't get why they don't cover the N. Amer. market over here?! I can get 2 weeks (10 shaves) comfortably on one, but I swap the blade each week anyway for pure comfort. For the record, all my blades came in a three pack. The handle has lasted me over a year now, so probably 500 shaves or more, and it still looks and works like new. But I do treat it like my DE's, I wipe it down after every use. I have 3 extra handles for back up and probably a stash of about 150 left, and I'll buy a lot more soon, cause you never know if they'll go away. ... Still reason for the DE though. The weekends I use my Tech (pre war), a fresh Nacet, Arko soap but in the winter that'll probably be LEA Menthol cream, and Jovan Musk after shave (found a whole box at a yard sale at work, 24 bottles for 5 bucks!! They were sets that came with spray cologne, so 24X2)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like the Guard in that it's the most like using a DE or SE, but lately have been only using DE or SE and neglectiing all my carts. I seem to go in phases, two months from now my DE and SE may appear abandoned for awhile while the carts get all the attention.

Recently came to own the Bevel DE and it's by far my best DE. Seems more mild yet closer than my DE89. I have limited time in the mornings now as I start work very early, but I've still been keeping up with the DE and SE and make lather most days. On days I don't have time for lather, foam or a brushless cream such as Carvers shave butter do an excellent job too.

So even though I've not been contributing much to the modern section here, I'm still following along.

I really would like to see a heavier handle made to accept these carts. The lack of any weight at all is my only objection to this razor. I get really great shaves from it when I use it, but it makes me have to concentrate a bit too much during the shave to not use extra pressure. It actually feels like it takes more concentration than my straight razors do at this point.

If anyone loves these and want to cover the shipping, I have a good amount of blades I’m looking to get rid of. If not, I can just bin them .

How does the Guard do on multi-day growth? I just returned from a 10-day backpacking trip and wanted to get cleaned up before going out to a restaurant and heading home. My Dorco PL602 normal DE travel razor had a really hard time with this. I had to go over areas over and over and over again, but the results were still not very good.

I haven't seen a Guard in person, but it looks like an open comb design to me, so I'm thinking it might work better as a travel razor for this situation.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I like the guard and use it when I fly with a carryon. But I do not find the shave even remotely as close as a a DE. But it certainly is plenty good enough for travel. My wife however loves it. I switched her off disposables to a vintage Trac II, then over to the guard, and she hasn’t looked back. I have been trying to get her to try a DE for years to no avail.

How does the Guard do on multi-day growth? I just returned from a 10-day backpacking trip and wanted to get cleaned up before going out to a restaurant and heading home. My Dorco PL602 normal DE travel razor had a really hard time with this. I had to go over areas over and over and over again, but the results were still not very good.

I haven't seen a Guard in person, but it looks like an open comb design to me, so I'm thinking it might work better as a travel razor for this situation.
In my limited use, I haven't had any trouble. I shave every other day, but I've tried the side of my neck (what, 2 months growth?) Without issue. Just takes multiple short passes. Rinse often and it works quite well.

I love this little thing. Not as close as a DE, as others have said, but it has its uses and it does extremely well for those.

It is a bit like an open comb design. I knocked down a good 5 or so days of growth with it the other day since I was in a hurry to get out the door and I can shave way faster with that than I can a straight, and it handled that without any issue. As was said, shorter passes, rinse often.. I did my usual and fully lathered up a second time to really finish it off, but I was socially acceptable shaved after the first one.

This is not a disposable razor. It's a cartridge razor for poor people in India.

The handle will last a long time, it's made out of a durable plastic.

The cartridges will last for 7-14 shaves. With a Razorpit or Blade Buddy, you should be able to easily get at least 1 1/2 - 2 weeks weeks from one blade. One person managed to get a month out of one some years ago when it was new.

The Guard cartridge is also used in the Gillette Treo, which is used in nursing homes to shave the elderly. The Guard is much less likely to nick or cut due to its design.

Top Bottom