What's new

Already hatch season

I'll be picking up my annual two bushels of mixed med and hot chiles this coming weekend. Forty bucks, roasted and packed in large HD plastic bag. The roasting aroma along Federal Blvd here in Denver is totally mouth wateringly good!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
All of the sudden the hatch chili has disappeared from my local grocery. They used to stay around for weeks. I'll need to delete this thread because the word is too far out.

Picked up two bushels... Hatch Med and Hot. Great flavor this year. Already ate this past week, 1.5 quart ziplocks... that good!

This year's Pueblo Mirasols are also very tasty and very popular here in Denver and Colorado. These I've found are perfect for large Chile rellenos.

Fantastic Chile crops this year. Hot days, cool nights, especially for the Pueblos. I think next year, if the Pueblos are in great condition, I will buy all Colorado. We'll see.

Enjoy!

I had some Rellenos a couple of days ago with "medium" hatch chiles. Holy lord, if those were medium I am not touching my hot ones. You know it is hot when you eat it and fear the morning after.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hatch chilies are in.
20200731_182926.jpg

Can’t believe you’re all holding out on me. :)
It’s more of a process than a recipe. I like mine stacked rather than rolled. A little red chile in a skillet, warm a fresh corn tortilla and move to a plate. Start warming the next tortilla and add filling to the one on the plate (cheese, shredded chicken, pork carnitas, etc)We usually do a stack of three with filling between and a fried egg on top.
87DD56ED-BCFE-48A0-84E5-811BCEC56435.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It’s more of a process than a recipe. I like mine stacked rather than rolled. A little red chile in a skillet, warm a fresh corn tortilla and move to a plate. Start warming the next tortilla and add filling to the one on the plate (cheese, shredded chicken, pork carnitas, etc)We usually do a stack of three with filling between and a fried egg on top.View attachment 1133417
Looks good

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I can tell you are from New Mexico without even asking. Love stacked green Chile chicken enchiladas myself.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On my trip to Denver last year, I spent the night in New Mexico. That is what I ordered for dinner.

Getting ready here in Denver, will get this year at least one or possibly two of the Pueblo Colorado Mirasols. Had great success with the one bushel last year, liked the Pueblos better than the Hatch's... and that's sacrilegious to many. Don't get me wrong, Hatch are great... but the last few years, the Mirasols have come into their own... and with the Colorado -New Mexico Chile border war happening... whichever chiles taste and look the best, that's where my money is going. Typically buying them, last week in August to Labor Day weekend. GREAT TIME OF YEAR.

Went to my favorite chili vendor, roaster, been going to them for years. They got in a great supply of fresh Hatch, NM and Pueblo, Colorado mild, medium and hot chiles. Usually I would buy all Hatch, one bushel of medium and one of hot, two bushels last us through the winter to late spring. Last year, I bought one bushel of Hatch hot and one medium Pueblo Mirasols. Mira Sol. These Mirasols grow upwards, towards the sun. I've found them to be richer tasting, fruitier, than what I've been buying with Hatch. I share this with all due respect to Hatch aficionados. I still enjoy Hatch. This year, going all Colorado Mirasols. Here's what I bought today and packed into the freezer. Twenty one full bags of beautifully roasted chile, mostly medium to hot. The taste... muy sabroso.

Resized_20200827_102312.jpeg

Resized_20200827_103219.jpeg

Resized_20200827_113325.jpeg

Resized_20200827_120143.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom