What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

Tried an experiment with some samples I bought recently. I haven't gotten the proportions perfect yet, but some Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill and some Stirling Barbershop seemed to yield something a little reminiscent of a popular one that rhymes with Schme-schmill lol
Hard to tell through the menthol...

The Bracerita
1 part Skin Bracer
1 part Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic

Smells like a lime popsicle, and very refreshing with the menthol.

In the summertime I sometimes mix in the Turkish PeReJa 80% vol. Edt (up to 50% depending on the aftershave).
Makes some of the OS, Wilkinson etc. ”supermarket” aftershaves so much nicer and fresher in the hot summer.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
In the summertime I sometimes mix in the Turkish PeReJa 80% vol. Edt (up to 50% depending on the aftershave).
Makes some of the OS, Wilkinson etc. ”supermarket” aftershaves so much nicer and fresher in the hot summer.
Thanks.

Hello,

I am a big fan, like many, of Rod's Stirling Soap and AS Sandalwood. I also like Proraso Red. Stirling's scent is great and Proraso's shea butter is great.

Has anyone tried combining the 2? If so, what ratio?

Thank you,

Joseph

Gotta admit, I read pages 1 - 7 and didn't find anything like my blend. Everyone is blending exotic, alcohol-based elixirs to yield a new scent. I'm doing something a tad different. I've been using Nivea Mens Post Shave Balm for a while. It's like a hand Cream - no alcohol bite. Acquired some Aqua Velva Ice Sport, Gillette Cool Wave, and Pinaud Clubman after shaves - all have the required alcohol bite, but were pretty harshly scented, and according to the Trophy GF, smelled like "Old Man", and made her eyes burn. Can't let that spoil the mood ...
I have several blends that remedied all complaints, I've got sensitive skin, and I like them all:
Shavist Formula #1
2/3 Men's Lubricating Post Shave Balm + 1/3 Gillette Cool Wave Aftershave

Shavist Formula #2
2/3 Dermasil Original Formula + 1/3 Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Shavist Mini Cooper JCW Clubman Formula X
2/3 Men's Lubricating Post Shave Balm + Pinaud Clubman

Shavist Mini Cooper JCW Clubman Formula Z
2/3 Dermasil Original Formula + Pinaud Clubman

The basic formula is 2/3 by volume a face balm or hand cream plus 1/3 by volume the alcohol-based stinkum of your choice.
I have some Georgio VIP After Shave my Dad once gave me. Mom made him use it outdoors & wouldn't let him wear it around the house, and she put up with his Brut. It smells great, but can clear a room.

Once I get an order of 20 ml bottles delivered, I'll do the mix using it. It'll be called Shavist Special Reserve and I haven't decided on the choice of Dermasil or The other stuff just yet.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Gotta admit, I read pages 1 - 7 and didn't find anything like my blend. Everyone is blending exotic, alcohol-based elixirs to yield a new scent. I'm doing something a tad different. I've been using Nivea Mens Post Shave Balm for a while. It's like a hand Cream - no alcohol bite. Acquired some Aqua Velva Ice Sport, Gillette Cool Wave, and Pinaud Clubman after shaves - all have the required alcohol bite, but were pretty harshly scented, and according to the Trophy GF, smelled like "Old Man", and made her eyes burn. Can't let that spoil the mood ...
I have several blends that remedied all complaints, I've got sensitive skin, and I like them all:
Shavist Formula #1
2/3 Men's Lubricating Post Shave Balm + 1/3 Gillette Cool Wave Aftershave

Shavist Formula #2
2/3 Dermasil Original Formula + 1/3 Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Shavist Mini Cooper JCW Clubman Formula X
2/3 Men's Lubricating Post Shave Balm + Pinaud Clubman

Shavist Mini Cooper JCW Clubman Formula Z
2/3 Dermasil Original Formula + Pinaud Clubman

The basic formula is 2/3 by volume a face balm or hand cream plus 1/3 by volume the alcohol-based stinkum of your choice.
I have some Georgio VIP After Shave my Dad once gave me. Mom made him use it outdoors & wouldn't let him wear it around the house, and she put up with his Brut. It smells great, but can clear a room.

Once I get an order of 20 ml bottles delivered, I'll do the mix using it. It'll be called Shavist Special Reserve and I haven't decided on the choice of Dermasil or The other stuff just yet.
Sounds smart.

Not sure if anyone has a wife that uses Sea Breeze astringent, but it's very handy for taking overly fragrant aftershaves down a peg. My barber dabs it on as aftershave when he does my neck. It has a little bit of fragrance at first, but it's very fleeting, so after the initial odd scent mix, the Sea Breeze smell disappears and you have just the softened smell of your aftershave.

I just mixed half and half with Aqua Velva (ice blue) for that very reason. Aqua Breeze?

Not sure if anyone has a wife that uses Sea Breeze astringent, but it's very handy for taking overly fragrant aftershaves down a peg. My barber dabs it on as aftershave when he does my neck. It has a little bit of fragrance at first, but it's very fleeting, so after the initial odd scent mix, the Sea Breeze smell disappears and you have just the softened smell of your aftershave.

I just mixed half and half with Aqua Velva (ice blue) for that very reason. Aqua Breeze?
I do dilute some stronger AS with Dickinson's witch hazel.

I mix equal parts Aqua Velva, Gillette Cool Wave and Vodka. I add some menthol crystals & shake to dissolve. I then mix 3 parts Dermasil to 1 part of the Aqua Velva/Cool Wave/Vodka mix and shake to blend. This is an updated recipe for my Shavist Formula 1.

Been slowly making may way through this great thread. I am based in the UK and was wondering where people in the UK buy their aftershaves from? I'm interested in starting this but not sure if there is a seller I should be buying from.

I stumbled across the first three while combing various threads on the site. I take credit only for the names of the mixes, and my comments are <bracketed>.. If any of these blends are already posted in an official list, please excuse.

From member Redzone:
Tabac Vanilla
"Clubman Vanilla 50/50 Tabac, this is the first mix I can honestly say created its own fragrance when combined."
Aftershave Cocktails. What are you mixing? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/aftershave-cocktails-what-are-you-mixing.351826/page-2
<in my own mix, Tabac was overpowering at first. It's been calming down day by day.>

From member emwolf
Vanilla Woods
"today i mixed whiskey woods with classic vanilla. Great combination that highlighted both scents very well."
New Pinaud Clubman Scents - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/new-pinaud-clubman-scents.530940/page-8
<I used a straight 50/50 blend, and it's become one of my favorites.>

From member Sharpstar90
High Karate
"I put 2/3rds modern Canoe into a bottle and 1/3 modern Jade East, both available on the internet. Then I smelled the mixture side by side with Vintage HK. I had matched the scent somewhere in the neighborhood of 90%, the only difference being a slightly less potent drydown."
Making Hai Karate - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/making-hai-karate.551177/
<Not sure this qualifies; it seeks to ape a commercial blend.>

Poster named Bill Russell “You’ll need a bat to keep the ladies away !!!
I found this last one in comments to a video review of various ***.
English Clubman or Leather Club
1 part English Leather
3 parts Clubman
$25 and Under: Clubman, English Leather, Stetson, British Sterling | Perfume Stream: Every Fragrance Reviewed - https://perfume.stream/leather-perfume-review/25-and-under-clubman-english-leather-stetson-british-sterling/
<Kind if 'meh' to me, even after aging the mix for several months.>

Been slowly making may way through this great thread. I am based in the UK and was wondering where people in the UK buy their aftershaves from? I'm interested in starting this but not sure if there is a seller I should be buying from.

Top Bottom