What's new

Gillette Platinum DE Blades

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Hi, folks
I saw these blades being sold by one of the shaving supplies stores, with a premium price.
Does anyone have an experience with them? Are they worth the price? How do they shave?

proxy.php

Ha. We've had a few arguments here in the blade forum about that as to whether or not they're better than the previous Gillette Platinum blades in the white and navy-blue boxes. Some say they're better, some say they're the same blade. But in any case they're PPI's top of the line flagship blade so I'd expect them to be a bit more expensive than their competition. I've had good luck with them; they're one of my preferred blades.

Good blades, smooth, forgiving, not very sharp, but not dull. Wouldn't say they are worth the premium over Astra SS/SP IMO.

Very Sharp Very Smooth Very Good!
Almost as good as the one's in the
White package with blue printing.

Very Sharp Very Smooth Very Good!
Almost as good as the one's in the
White package with blue printing.

What makes you think that they are a different blade? This is a change in the colour of the box. The whites turned blue. They are no longer being produced in the white box. It's the same product (ie the same EAN/UPC number on the back).

Hi, folks
I saw these blades being sold by one of the shaving supplies stores, with a premium price.
Does anyone have an experience with them? Are they worth the price? How do they shave?

proxy.php

They are really good blades. About as good as Gillette's other offerings, imo. I would check online for better prices before I bought them from a brick and mortar, though.

What makes you think that they are a different blade? This is a change in the colour of the box. The whites turned blue. They are no longer being produced in the white box. It's the same product (ie the same EAN/UPC number on the back).
What makes me think they're different?
That's An easy one!
They shave different and feel different
On the face IMHO.
And I'm not alone when it comes to
That experience.

What makes me think they're different?
That's An easy one!
They shave different and feel different
On the face IMHO.
And I'm not alone when it comes to
That experience.
+1.
During the last year I've been saying at least 3 times they are different. But there are members here who can't feel the difference.

haha Ya gotta love another thread arguing about white vs blue box Plats.

My two cents, as a Gillette Platinum lover with 400 white box and 300 blue box Plats in the den: exactly the same. Or at least so dang similar my face can't tell the difference. I believe it's just marketing. White box to countries A, B, C; blue box to countries D, E, F.

The blue box is newer but did not replace the white box; they are both current production. I can attest to this because I have very recent issue white box as well as blue box which are older!!

Extremely nice blades which I would be happy to have as my desert island blade, if it came to that.

Very similar to GSBs, to use a familiar point of reference for most gents. A tiny bit less sharp and equally tiny bit more forgiving than GSBs but otherwise verrrrrrry similar. Quite possibly the same blade with a slightly different coating.

Last edited:
...My two cents, as a Gillette Platinum lover with 400 white box and 300 blue box Plats in the den: exactly the same. Or at least so dang similar my face can't tell the difference. I believe it's just marketing. White box to countries A, B, C; blue box to countries D, E, F.

The blue box is newer but did not replace the white box; they are both current production. I can attest to this because I have very recent issue white box as well as blue box which are older!!...

The "smoking gun" so to speak. ;)

...Very similar to GSBs, to use a familiar point of reference for most gents. A tiny bit less sharp and equally tiny bit more forgiving than GSBs but otherwise verrrrrrry similar. Quite possibly the same blade with a slightly different coating.

Or a slightly different hone angle.

Or a slightly different hone angle.

Indeed.

To the OP: there is no reason to pay a premium price for Plats. You can get 100 of them on eBay for $15-16, depending on whether you want white or blue box. A 100 card will last quite a while.

Top Bottom