What's new

Arko August 2019

9th straight Arko shave (pun intended)
View attachment 1007052
Universal Lama Intera
Astra SP (x4)
Arko stick
Semogue 2040HD

Great shave today. (Shavettes are just plain fun.) And Arko provided all the protection I could ever want. No signs of drying skin so far (but I'm a firm believer in post-shave oil and balm/lotion).

Alan, I've always been curious about shavettes but I've so many straights n DEs that I may never even get the chance to use em.

I'm would like to try a good SE though but that's another story lol.

I really should stop looking around for more stuff. I think I've enough gear to last at least 100 years or more rofl.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Had excellent shave with arko today planning on using it the next few days. Most definitely will use lot more times this with something different in between.

9611D26B-D014-4116-8E1A-20A4C95A87F5.jpeg
First ever use of Arko yesterday - much slicker than I expected; used a balm as well to make sure I tried to avoid the “dry” feeing some mention. I’ll definitely be adding this to a frequent rotation for the remainder of the month.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Still using Arko soap, thinking of getting a tube of Arko Cream. Is anyone using Arko Creams at the moment for Arko August?

Alan, I've always been curious about shavettes but I've so many straights n DEs that I may never even get the chance to use em.

I'm would like to try a good SE though but that's another story lol.

I really should stop looking around for more stuff. I think I've enough gear to last at least 100 years or more rofl.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
@mawashi, I have an Equinox shavette that I'm not using. If you're interested, send me your mailing address via PM and I will get it out to you.

I had what thought was minor reaction to Arko the first few times I tried it, but inspired by this thread and lured by the retro packaging I had to give Arko another go last night. No reaction this time, and after giving it a little less water than usual I got a really great shave out of it. I don't think it's going to replace the Palmolive stick as my main soap, but I'm certainly going to get more use out of it in August and beyond.

Funny that, I have to drown it in water or I get a bit of a reaction and a dry post shave. Funny how we’re all different and in shaving etc there’s no one size fits all

Funny that, I have to drown it in water or I get a bit of a reaction and a dry post shave. Funny how we’re all different and in shaving etc there’s no one size fits all

I think I was really over doing it with the water exactly because of Arko's reputation for being a bit drying. But last night I treated it more like Palmolive with just a few small water top-ups and it worked really well.

Also when I first tried it I was using the classic shower-then-shave pattern, but lately I've switched to a shower-shave-shower "sandwich" approach. That could explain my lack of reaction as any soap residue is definitely 100% purged by that final blast from the shower.

Used my tub of arko for the 2nd time yesterday. I like it just as well as proraso and tabac and Williams. That's pretty much my new rotation right there ^^

Todays Arko shave with my R89 and a Wilkinson blade was followed by Bulldog AS Balm.
Nice, clean summer treatment after work

Karl

Man - the gang keeps growing!

Arko Gung-ho
(all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
FarmerTan
mawashi
Cphobes
SpudWrench
James Darmody
bluesman 7
bjm
jj_sharp
Gaznix
fast shaver
meanpr
Brian C.
Billy T.
ajkel64
PeteVK
Squirrel
RumpleBearskin
MrMoJoe
ksblazer
helistone

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Wtd1911
ftrez
Rosseforp
Whilliam
shave/brush
Ted A
Namkcakram
EB Newfarm
cyclingsteveb
psfred
ftrez
Sideways Tremolo
Haggises
BudgetShaverGuy
JayFromBrooklyn
Kealon7
Legacoid
Rustynail

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
HarryAU570
RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
Goatlips

Used Arko this morning. I have two sticks mashed into an Old Spice mug and scented with some Stetson cologne.

Brush: Omega S-brush
Razor: Schick injector (the one that looks like a stick shift)
Blade: Generic injector blade (I think it's a Personna)
Aftershave: Stetson aftershave lotion

Like others have said, I find Arko to be a bit harsh for my skin. However, it is super easy to lather and it provides a great shave. The aftershave lotion makes up for the soap's drying nature.

Continuing with “some Arko, sometimes”... quick 1.3 pass shave today. It was much more about testing a new edge on the old beat up Filarmonica, which was outstanding.

The one property of Arko I appreciate that I never see mentioned is that is seem to clean my brushes out. I really appreciate it because I only have one badger and one boar, and I love using a lot of aloe and lanolin loaded soaps. Not only does Arko seem to clean out the brushes but it leaves them with that traditional European clean laundry scent!
7E7B502C-CA60-488B-BAE2-1570418FDA2F.jpeg

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
FarmerTan
mawashi
Cphobes
SpudWrench
James Darmody
bluesman 7
bjm
jj_sharp
Gaznix
fast shaver
meanpr
Brian C.
Billy T.
ajkel64
PeteVK
Squirrel
RumpleBearskin
MrMoJoe
ksblazer
helistone

Wtd1911
ftrez
Rosseforp
Whilliam
shave/brush
Ted A
Namkcakram
EB Newfarm
cyclingsteveb
psfred
ftrez
Sideways Tremolo
Haggises
BudgetShaverGuy
JayFromBrooklyn
Kealon7
Legacoid
Rustynail
Deacon Frank

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
HarryAU570
RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
Goatlips

12th Arko August Shave
IMG_20190729_065823-01.jpeg

"Bumpless" GEM Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC) for Micromatic Monday
Persona Super Stainless GEM PTFE (x4)
Arko stick for Arko August
Omega 636 (not the Maggard's Black and White that is pictured)

@FoolishMortal - might as well throw me in “on the down low,” I’ll certainly be using it during (At least) August!
You got it!

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
FarmerTan
mawashi
Cphobes
SpudWrench
James Darmody
bluesman 7
bjm
jj_sharp
Gaznix
fast shaver
meanpr
Brian C.
Billy T.
ajkel64
PeteVK
Squirrel
RumpleBearskin
MrMoJoe
ksblazer
helistone

Wtd1911
ftrez
Rosseforp
Whilliam
shave/brush
Ted A
Namkcakram
EB Newfarm
cyclingsteveb
psfred
ftrez
Sideways Tremolo