What's new

What happened to de Vergulde?

I love de Vergulde Hand and wanted to replenish my stock. I'm unable to find any in stock anywhere. Does anyone know what the deal is with this venerable brand?

just did a quick look and some products are available on German Amazon. Also their website is online and does not look abandoned (Home) but I do not understand Dutch...

just did a quick look and some products are available on German Amazon. Also their website is online and does not look abandoned (Home) but I do not understand Dutch...
Their links on where to get product all points to .nl URLs. They might just not list foreign places though.

Do you have some reference or proof of this? Please post it.

It's something I read posted on forums and reddit. Example here. I thought it's common knowledge by now. Companies like Fine, RR, T&H, GFT, TOBS, AOS, Boellis etc. are lifestyle/marketing companies that outsource manufacturing to large commercial soap makers, fragrance makers, packaging designers etc. A US company has soap made in Netherlands, bowls made in Thailand, fragrances idk...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It's something I read posted on forums and reddit.

No evidence then .... internet lore and not common knowledge. I don't think it's made in the same place judging by the differences in the soap, shape, ingredients and would like to see some proof.
I understand how outsourcing works, thanks.

I surely don't believe everything I read on reddit and shaving forums. :001_rolle

No evidence then .... internet lore and not common knowledge. I don't think it's made in the same place judging by the differences in the soap, shape, ingredients and would like to see some proof.
I understand how outsourcing works, thanks.

I surely don't believe everything I read on reddit and shaving forums. :001_rolle

You've jumped the gun.

Made by De Vergulde Hand. No one claimed its the same soap they sell. I consider having a product made by one of the better European soap makers a positive. No big deal if it's not, no big deal if it is.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm just saying the products are so vastly different in looks and feel, plus de Vergulde Hand is tallow free, I doubted that they come out of the same factory.

I think I'm searching for the truth and not jumping the gun as you say. Over and out.

I'm just saying the products are so vastly different in looks and feel, plus de Vergulde Hand is tallow free, I doubted that they come out of the same factory.

It has to be a soap maker that has machinery for triple-milling and embossing logos, with production capacity large enough to steadily meet demand worldwide in multiple scent profiles. And it has to be a soap maker based in the Netherlands.

Such large commercial soap maker shouldn't have a problem making different soap bases and scent profiles as long as you order enough and consistently. We can only guess, but De Vergulde Hand is a soap factory in Amsterdam, founded in 1554. Good candidate IMO. :)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It has to be a soap maker that has machinery for triple-milling and embossing logos, with production capacity large enough to steadily meet demand worldwide in multiple scent profiles. And it has to be a soap maker based in the Netherlands.

Such large commercial soap maker shouldn't have a problem making different soap bases and scent profiles as long as you order enough and consistently. We can only guess, but De Vergulde Hand is a soap factory in Amsterdam, founded in 1554. Good candidate IMO. :)
You may be right. Fine is a Dutch soap made in the Netherlands. How many Dutch soap manufacturers are there with the ability to mass produce triple milled soaps and emboss logos. Maybe Dille en Kamille? Then there are artisans like Scheermonnik, but he's small batch soft soap operation. I don't know of another soap manufacturer that has the capacity of De Vergulde in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Regardless, Fine is often overlooked today in the latest artisan flavor of the month deluge. That's too bad as it is great shave soap!!

Although being Dutch and having used this soap for the first time almost 40 years ago I never liked it.
It dries very fast.Shaving isn't smooth at all.
I've been using Speick creme for a real long time.
Costs almost nothing (less than 3 $ over in Germany) and gives the smoothest blade ride ever.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Although being Dutch and having used this soap for the first time almost 40 years ago I never liked it.
It dries very fast.Shaving isn't smooth at all.
I've been using Speick creme for a real long time.
Costs almost nothing (less than 3 $ over in Germany) and gives the smoothest blade ride ever.
It is a cheap soap. There is a way to dial to where the performance is on par with Proraso.

How to dial De Vergulde Hand in face lathering: 1. Load it like you hate it. 2. Work up the lather on your face for a couple of minutes. 3. Dip the tips in water work in and repeat until the lather is wet enough (3x for me). 4. Reload from the tub again for about 35 seconds then work that into the lather to build cushion. 5. Good to go.

It really is not that bad then. It does take a lot of work, and like you say there are a lot of better soaps out there like Speick.

What I'm hoping for is that the Scheermonnik guy develops a artisan soap that smells as good as dropjes taste.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Scheermonnik.
I'm cheap.First rule for me is it has to be inexpensive.I can shave really well with simple hair shampoo.
17,50 for some shaving soap??:07:

You may be right. Fine is a Dutch soap made in the Netherlands. How many Dutch soap manufacturers are there with the ability to mass produce triple milled soaps and emboss logos. Maybe Dille en Kamille? Then there are artisans like Scheermonnik, but he's small batch soft soap operation. I don't know of another soap manufacturer that has the capacity of De Vergulde in the Netherlands.
Ok.
I don't know of a dutch soapmaker with the name Dille or Kamille.
Dille means dill and kamille means chamomile.
Fine also doesn't ring a bell.

Top Bottom