What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

just finished this one a Salamander 111 that was in my box, here is the before and after shots...

Before

1_InPixio.jpg 3_InPixio.jpg

After Restore

20190810_184543.jpg 20190810_184543.jpg 20190810_184610.jpg 20190810_184718.jpg 20190810_184751.jpg 20190810_184806.jpg

How many coats of CA did you put on, and a light sanding in between coats is good but try very fine wet and dry sandpaper with water. Then polish that should bring a shine, but I do 12 coats of CA to get a deep finish.....
Yup it will have many coats scuffed between each with 0000 steelwool then sanded with 2k at the end and polished with white rouge (only cause it's what I have atm) @3k rpm still far from done but figured I'd show progress..
Also I have to avoid the superglue flu (allergic reaction to cyanoacrylate) I developed it a few years ago during my knife-making it's flu like symptoms after having utilized super glue or CA. Yes I did use a well-ventilated area!

The next resto is this Torrey I have no idea what model she is but she came to me in pretty good shape! Well that's what my eyes say! What say you all? IMG_20190810_192832.jpg IMG_20190810_192837.jpg IMG_20190810_192842.jpg IMG_20190810_192918.jpg IMG_20190810_192903.jpg IMG_20190810_192931.jpgI think a careful unpinning/re pinning and cleaning along with buffing like the Noleka I am currently working is all she needs besides re honing! No custom scales as planned the celluloid is looking to be in good shape but I won't know until I get them off. The wedge looks chipped so there's that she may get some non ferrous jewlry there.. Oh if anyone can tell me the model please feel free!

these are just about ready to glue and fit to the dubl duck wonderedge as the inlays are just sitting on top

View attachment 1006973
Beautiful scales Sir!!!!
I finally finished the Noleka and gave her a test run! She shaves beautifully! My first resto of an old razor is complete!
IMG_20190811_155348.jpg

And I can honestly say the next set of custom scales will be more user friendly the"banana" shape looks cool but it's a PITA to strop with....

Last edited:
Beautiful scales Sir!!!!
I finally finished the Noleka and gave her a test run! She shaves beautifully! My first resto of an old razor is complete! View attachment 1007019
And I can honestly say the next set of custom scales will be more user friendly the"banana" shape looks cool but it's a PITA to strop with....

Now that looks fantastic a beautiful restore, now looking at it finished was it worth it I bet you say yes. It's going to be nice seeing you post more restores as you go along, and if you get stuck please ask questions we dont bite.
More than happy to guide you along this new journey with the little I have learned so far....

Now that looks fantastic a beautiful restore, now looking at it finished was it worth it I bet you say yes. It's going to be nice seeing you post more restores as you go along, and if you get stuck please ask questions we dont bite.
More than happy to guide you along this new journey with the little I have learned so far....
Thank you for the kind words! I do quite enjoy the restoration process the end results are as I envisioned! So I call a win on the Noleka!
I've already started on the Torrey, the scales had a hairline crack near the Tang pin so they gave up the ghost during unpinning! oh well that's ok I've already cut the blank out and it's under vacuum at the moment soaking up stabilizer... The tang has some ugly surface oxidation and there was one fairly deep pit on the hollow of the blade I've worked it out for the most part. The new scales will be what I believe is either Wenge or African Black wood. I can't remember which it is. I do remember the cautionary word the gentleman gave me when he sent it to me! DON'T GET ANY SPLINTERS THEY WILL GO SEPTIC! also stabilize it it, is safer to work! Funny thing is it smells burned as though it's charred but it's not.... anyhow got to get back after the rust demon... I will update on the blade etc etc as I progress.

Old W. Greaves & Sons I bought back in January and am just getting to rescaling. Original scales were horribly warped and wouldn't straighten. Cracks along the length and at both pins.
s-l1600-2-01.jpeg

Initial cleanup of the blade.
IMG_20190811_181524-01.jpeg

And my first attempt at shaping scales. Based on a template from the original scales.
IMG_20190811_181426-01.jpeg

The blanks I bought didn't have the right curve and were way too thick. I did a rough reshape with a Dremel and sanding drum, then thinned then down with low grit sandpaper and a lapping tile. Beveled the edges with a file.

I think they are about "there". Some final sanding/smoothing, drilling, pinning, and honing and I may find myself with a useable razor.

Suggestions and comments welcome...

Old W. Greaves & Sons I bought back in January and am just getting to rescaling. Original scales were horribly warped and wouldn't straighten. Cracks along the length and at both pins.
View attachment 1007081

View attachment 1007083
And my first attempt at shaping scales. Based on a template from the original scales.
View attachment 1007084
The blanks I bought didn't have the right curve and were way too thick. I did a rough reshape with a Dremel and sanding drum, then thinned then down with low grit sandpaper and a lapping tile. Beveled the edges with a file.

I think they are about "there". Some final sanding/smoothing, drilling, pinning, and honing and I may find myself with a useable razor.

Loving that blade! The white of those scales will look great on it! What are you gonna use for pins brass or NS? I say NS with SS washers bullseye style! Also I don't know if it was your intention but your scales look a little wider then the original ones? Maybe slim the waist down just a little! I think it will accentuate the blade much better and that's my .02 cents! She's looking great man keep us posted!

View attachment 1007081

View attachment 1007083
View attachment 1007084

You could use the old scales as a template, put it on top and draw around it along with marking the pin holes.
But it is going to look good when its done.....

New shoes on the Shumate Barber Deluxe. Very nice US made razor

That has turned out fantastic :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Finally pinned and just needs honing good bad indifferent here she is my Torrey resto is done. The scales look aged but it's purely by accidental.
IMG_20190817_210822.jpg
IMG_20190817_210750__01.jpg
IMG_20190817_210910.jpg
IMG_20190817_211000.jpg
IMG_20190817_210920__01.jpg

I must admit over this last week I have been restoring a brass shaving brush this is how it came to me

1.jpg 2.jpg

Now after a good polish and a new 2 band knot pre bloom

20190817_173249.jpg 20190817_173306.jpg

This is how it ends up

20190817_175044.jpg 20190817_175055.jpg 20190817_175028.jpg

I must admit over this last week I have been restoring a brass shaving brush this is how it came to me

View attachment 1009000 View attachment 1009001

Now after a good polish and a new 2 band knot pre bloom

View attachment 1009002 View attachment 1009003

This is how it ends up

View attachment 1009004 View attachment 1009005 View attachment 1009006
The brush looks fantastic!! I've found that I have become more and more partial to my boar brushes even though I have one synth, and 4 badgers! Great work on the re-knot and polish!! Gonna have to get a couple more sacrificial Omegas!! Glad you think the Torrey came out good the scales did seem to do her some justice.

View attachment 1007081

View attachment 1007083
View attachment 1007084

So after several evenings sanding and fitting and sanding and fitting and ... Here's where I ended up.
IMG_20190821_192307-01.jpeg
IMG_20190821_192250-01.jpeg

Not totally satisfied with the shape of the scales, but the balance when open is great. To the stones this weekend and then I may really have something useable.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and encouragement.

So after several evenings sanding and fitting and sanding and fitting and ... Here's where I ended up.
View attachment 1010116 View attachment 1010117
Not totally satisfied with the shape of the scales, but the balance when open is great. To the stones this weekend and then I may really have something useable.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and encouragement.

Alan that looks fantastic.... Nice to see another Sheffield back into action....

Top Bottom