What's new

Arko August 2019

1565150948413250276774462060543.jpg

Hmmm.
It's been a while since I Arkoed. Still have 11 of the 12 pack I bought a few years ago.
Looks like this is the bump I need.

Hmmm.
It's been a while since I Arkoed. Still have 11 of the 12 pack I bought a few years ago.

That is what I'm doing. Bought a 12pk of Arko and when I was new to wet shaving and had a reaction and dry skin issues. I realized that the reaction was due to the Pears soap I used in the shower before I shaved with Arko stick. Traded a few sticks and just used it occasionally when I needed a shave at work and travel.

I never really dialed it in until I recently. Now Arko Augest is here. I'm using it consistantly and I'm really liking the shaves I'm getting too.

Give another stick a try:001_005:

Arko August 7th

So today makes the first full week of Arko! My stick is about gone but I have two in the drawer. Starting to plan how I'm going to get that bit in the "elevator" of the twist-up out for use...

Crown & Sword 1166
Arko stick
Omega 636
IMG_20190807_054959-01.jpeg

Hmmm.
Sounds like you have about 8 years' worth. Better get started! :D

Arko Gung-ho (all Arko, all August)
FoolishMortal
FarmerTan
mawashi
Cphobes
SpudWrench
James Darmody
bluesman 7
bjm
jj_sharp
Gaznix
fast shaver
meanpr
Brian C.
Billy T.
ajkel64
PeteVK
Squirrel
RumpleBearskin
MrMoJoe

Arko on the down-low (some Arko, sometimes)
Wtd1911
ksblazer
ftrez
Rosseforp
Whilliam
shave/brush
Ted A
Namkcakram
EB Newfarm
cyclingsteveb
psfred
ftrez
Sideways Tremolo
Haggises

Arko is a no-go (no Arko, no way)
HarryAU570
RayClem

Arko in Limbo (maybe?)
Goatlips
BudgetShaverGuy

Fantastic Arko shave today!

I finally found the "right" blade for my 1959 Fatboy - a Gillette Nacet. That made all the difference in the world. All of my previous efforts with this razor have resulted in at least mild irritation and sometimes significant. Today was silky smooth.

I also did a better job getting the right amount of water in the brush. Today's lather was much richer and fuller and I had plenty left for my second pass and final cleanup.

So the rest of the rundown:
Silvertip Badger Brush
Thayers Medicated Witch Hazel
Old Spice Classic Aftershave Splash

That is what I'm doing. Bought a 12pk of Arko and when I was new to wet shaving and had a reaction and dry skin issues. I realized that the reaction was due to the Pears soap I used in the shower before I shaved with Arko stick. Traded a few sticks and just used it occasionally when I needed a shave at work and travel.

I never really dialed it in until I recently. Now Arko Augest is here. I'm using it consistantly and I'm really liking the shaves I'm getting too.

Give another stick a try:001_005:
I loved Arko when I first had one stick, then bought a box for Christmas. Then I went Mystic Waters for a year, creams for a year and have spent the last couple years trying to use them up.
Part of the reason I left Arko behind was because it was a little drying. Now that I'm shaving the head, I can't stand the moisturizing effects of Mystic Water - What is a good post shave feel on the face is now a layer of gunk on the head.
Arko might be just the ticket.

Assuming I can find that box. Hope it still smells.

Loving Arko August, although I’ve only used my stick once, I’ve been hitting my Arko creams, damn they’re good, I love the post face feel off the creams, I don’t even have to moisturise, seriously!!

Another day another "git it done n git it off" shave lol.

A 13s loading with a 2 band made enough lather for 4 passes or more.
IMG_20190808_084902.jpg

I initially found the Yaqi 2 band to be a tad skirtchy and Nav soaks his overnight but I was worried about over soaking the knot so I did some tests to find the min amount of time I need to soak it and found that 15 to 20 mins is enough to hydrate the tips till they have almost zero skirtch.

A small plastic container filled to 3/4 the height of the knot for 20 mins while I do my morning routine works perfectly.
IMG_20190808_083645.jpg

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

8 Aug 19
Razor:
Gillette E4 1959 Fatboy
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (0)
Brush: 22mm RR faux horn Plissoft Disruptor
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Arko stick – face lather
Aftershave: Oleo Jacmel Vetiveria AS Balm
Additional Care: Jack Shave spritz
IMG_20190807_131948.jpg

Had my 8th shave with Arko this Arko August and it was as good as ever. Great soap just kind of a repetitive scent. Guess that’s what after shave is for.

I have too many other soaps that I want to use. (I'm new at this.) So I did my 7th Arko shave this morning. Out of 8 days.

Arko August 8th

No pics today.
Wade and Butcher Frameback
Arko (started the new stick this morning)
Semogue 2040 HD Silvertip

Great shave from a great razor and a great soap.

Can I get you thoughts on the Omega badger

I really like the Omega 636 as a mid-priced Silvertip. It's nice and soft. The knot is a little less dense, but that's probably why it's mid-priced. It's a little more floppy that I'd prefer, but enough backbone to face lather without issue. "Painting" lather is a dream, and the knot holds lather well for multiple passes.

I marginally prefer it over the Semogue 2040 HD and would buy it again.

Another great Arko shave unsing Omega Excelsior boar, Gillette Fatboy, a Gillette Nacet blade, and Old Spice aftershave.

Top Bottom