What's new

Wilkinson Sword Classic vs German vs Chinese vs Indian

I have some German made Wilkinson Sword Classic blades (Edgewell) and some Chinese made Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades.

I find that the German blades are mid-sharp on the first shave, but become extremely sharp as the coating wears off. If you are not expecting this change, you might well experience nicks and weepers after the first shave, especially if your technique is not good.

The Chinese made blades are more consistent from the first shave to the second. However, they are not as sharp overall as the German blades. I find them similar to the Gillette Silver Blue and 7 O'Clock Super Stainless Green.

German Wilkinson Classic are very good blades indeed. Keen , super smooth and long lasting.
If you have a microscope have a look at the various blades. You will see some alarming things.

Acetone wipe on DE's takes care of the coatings.
Meaningless??? I don't think so. If I see small chips and irregularity in a blade there's a really good chance its going to shave like crap.
What you see is proven with a shave.
From your avatar I would think you like Wilkinsons. There are three distinct grinds on them each at a successively steeper angle.
They are very well ground!

Acetone wipe on DE's takes care of the coatings.
Meaningless??? I don't think so. If I see small chips and irregularity in a blade there's a really good chance its going to shave like crap.
What you see is proven with a shave.
From your avatar I would think you like Wilkinsons. There are three distinct grinds on them each at a successively steeper angle.
They are very well ground!

The grind is not as important as the edge hardening via sputtering and coating. Sharpness is of little importance, it's the edge hardening and coatings that impart the smoothness and not the sharpness. Gillette figured this out in the late 1950's and said as such.

I think if somebody is offering the 100s in hanging display of 20 5-blade tucks those might be Chinese and the saloon packs might be MII. But I am not sure. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

That is incorrect. I bought 100 Gillette Wilkinsons that came in the standard blue pack and they say made in India on the back of each tuck. So it is NOT just the Saloon packs that are made in India. The blue packs are made in both India and China.

Yes. I had some 200 Chinese made. And then recently I received a razor that had a pack of Wilkies with it. The regular 5-pack, and it says Made in India Mfg. date 09/18

The grind is not as important as the edge hardening via sputtering and coating. Sharpness is of little importance,

So its not important to have good grinding? Chips and wavy edges are ok so long as the edge is hard?
Sharpness is of little importance?

Happy shaves.

So its not important to have good grinding? Chips and wavy edges are ok so long as the edge is hard?
Sharpness is of little importance?

Happy shaves.

No, just that anyone can grind a blade nowadays. It's not "cold fusion". You are not understanding that what you sense as "sharpness" is not.

...After discovering in his test lab that shavers could not tell the difference in blade sharpness, he (MIT Chemical Engineering graduate Meyer J. "Mike" Shnitzler, Vice President & Director of Research and Development working at Gillette from 1933 till 1967 and for 10 years thereafter as a consultant) was responsible for break-thru research that determined that blade sharpness was not a critical factor in receiving a good shave; rather a reduction in drag, of hair protein molecules clinging to the steel blade causing pulling, was needed. This Drag Theory lead to the development of coated razor blades and specifically the Organosiloxane Gel coated Super Blue Blade (1959). Following Mr. Shnitzler's lead, PTFE or Teflon type coatings are now used universally on blades to reduce drag (that pull felt when shaving).

http://gilletteadjustable.com/misc-2/important-employees/

The Wilkinson Brazil blades are excellent, I never liked the German production.. The original UK blades were superb ....

Is there a vendor of the Brazilian blades that sells to the US? I know the blades exist but no idea how to acquire them.

No Brazilian vendor will ship to America...... I got mine in a trade years ago.... LÂMINAS DE BARBEAR ATACADO

Well if no one will ship them to me then I guess it doesn't matter how good they are. :) I'll just keep using what I have. I get along fine with the German blades though, and for Brazilian blades I have a quantity of Gillette Platinum Plus made there. They're excellent.

Top Bottom