What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday my shave was excellent I think.

7-29-19.Dorko.Kit.640.JPG

My Dorko was a real pleasure today. Factory honed. Stropped by me. Sharp and comfortable. An easy shave.

GD Preshave, GD Serum, Cremo Moisturizer, and a splash.

Beach.NewBottle.480.7-13-19.JPG

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave was excellent.

7-30-19.Kit.Wide.Torrey.640.JPG

This razor's edge is stellar. Perfect. Sharp without feeling sharp. It shaves great!

271.png

I'm still counting my shaves. I'm also aware that my Schick Type E-2 shaves are better than today's shave, but my best SR shaves are certainly moving closer to my E-2 shaves (not that I've used the Type E-2 or any safety razor in a long time).

The rest of my kit...
  • Grooming Dept Preshave.
  • Grooming Dept Serum.
  • Cremo Moisturizer.
  • PAA Beach.
Good shave. Good kit. Big fun.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's Kukri shave was very good.

7-31-19.Kit.Kukri.640.JPG

This edge was used just a few days ago, link. It was a nice edge then. It's always been (when sharp) a razor I've liked. My impression was it could be even sharper.

Today I took it to the Norton White Translucent Convex stone for about a hundred round trips. Then, it went to the hard finishing side of the DCA for another hundred. I'm really guessing about these numbers but I'm close enough on them.

Is it sharper? I think it is.

Is it max'd out. I don't think it it.

DiscoloredKukri.Face.640.7-31-19.JPG Kukri.Face.649.7-31-19.JPG

It is a very nice edge. More finishing, according to our current theory, on the Ark may be a good thing. I doubt this means edges can't be max'd out, but until the curve flattens out why not proceed.

The razor is not perfect in its looks, but I want it to be perfect in the shaving department. Besides, I like how it looks. Razors don't have to be art objects (to me). Not saying I don't enjoy the razor drool threads.

upload_2019-7-31_16-38-22.png

I enjoyed all of my kit. This brush is certainly not a bad brush. I always thought though that it was my least favorite of the Stirling brushes I own. Today I immensely enjoyed the brush. It seemed just perfect as did my soap and lather. Big fun.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was okay.

8-1-19.Solid Comfort.Kit.640..JPG

My Solid Comfort razor performed significantly better today than it did last time I used it. This was due to yesterday's work on the convexed Ark finishing stones.

However, the razor's edge is not where I want it yet. The shave really was okay, but not as good as the shave I'm getting from other razors. Can it be improved? We'll see.

The rest of my my kit?
  • GD Preshave.
  • GD Serum.
  • Cremo Moisturizer.
  • Splash.
Royall Lyme.640.4-18.Mine.JPG

This is a nice aftershave. It pairs well with today's soap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was excellent.
upload_2019-8-2_9-56-12.png

Still counting shaves as they improve.

8-2-19.Dorko.Kit.640.JPG

This factory honed (decades ago) Dorko has a very nice edge indeed. It's an impressive razor by all considerations.

My kit was excellent across the board.
  • GD Preshave.
  • GD Serum.
  • Cremo Moisturizer.
  • A splash.

Beach.NewBottle.480.7-13-19.JPG

Oh, happy days.

And, happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was just okay.

8-3-19.SolidComfort.Kit.640.JPG

Before today's shave I did about a hundred round trips on the white convexed Norton and another hundred on the finishing side of the DCA.

I believe the edge is making progress, but just barely. Today's shave was just okay. Not really close. Not really good at all, but still it was at least barely okay. This edge is just not up to my standard. I think perhaps it can get there but do I want to hone it a lot more? I'll think about it.

upload_2019-8-3_13-4-18.png

Other than the edge not being where I want it I like this razor but that's like saying other than it won't run I like this car.

Counting shaves.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Saturday's shave was just okay.

View attachment 1004677

Before today's shave I did about a hundred round trips on the white convexed Norton and another hundred on the finishing side of the DCA.

I believe the edge is making progress, but just barely. Today's shave was just okay. Not really close. Not really good at all, but still it was at least barely okay. This edge is just not up to my standard. I think perhaps it can get there but do I want to hone it a lot more? I'll think about it.

Other than the edge not being where I want it I like this razor but that's like saying other than it won't run I like this car.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Sometimes I have put the problem child aside and come back later. While this is not representative of my parenting, it does work at times with razors.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sometimes I have put the problem child aside and come back later. While this is not representative of my parenting, it does work at times with razors.

Yes, it does. Even if it doesn't actually lead the razors to improve their character who cares. Out of sight out of mind.

These are my two Kinfolks razors. The one on the right is Kinfolks #2.

Kinfollks#1.640.8-3-19..JPG Kinfolks#2.8-3-19.640.JPG

I'm not abandoning the long term effort to max out all of my razors, and hopefully to have that max be at a level of sharpness and comfort allowing a great shave, but there's no reason to assume every razor I bought on eBay from someone anxious to dispose of it should be comparable to my best straight razors.

Robeson.8-1-19.New.640.JPG

I have today honed two other razors, my Kinfolks #1 and my Kinfolks #2, so I have some shave testing to do. I have a number of razors needing attention on the stones. Two or three of those are waiting patiently in the dining room should I decide to hone tomorrow. One is a favorite I want back in service. Another is a new Robeson with a decent looking bevel just begging to be sharpened on a convex Ark.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was near excellent.

8-4-19.Kinfolks#2.Kit.640JPG.JPG

Today's razor? My Kinfolks #2 also known as my ugly Blue Steel Special with great scales.

Kinfollks#1.640.8-3-19..JPG

My other Kinfolks is pictured in the thumbnail.

The edge today was very sharp, but I believe it can become even sharper and also significantly more comfortable. Not that it was uncomfortable but I believe it had just a smidgeon of removable harshness to it.

My two Kinfolks were finished in similar but different ways on purpose to allow comparison.

Top-Shelf.jpg

The brush was as always stellar. Actually the whole kit - including GD Preshave and Serum - was top drawer.

I like this "ugly" little razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was the opposite of Sunday's.

8-5-19.Kinfolks#1.NotSharp.640.Kit.JPG

This razor is my Kinfolks #1. Its edge was very comfortable. Very smooth. Not very sharp!

My shave? Marginal at best. Socially acceptable for going to work, but just barely. There's food for thought, etc. in this, so all is good.

My kit was otherwise excellent: GD Preshave and Serum, Cremo Moisturizer, PAA Beach splash.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It has become obvious this morning that today's shave was actually rather terrible. It was very comfortable. I'll give it that, but it was not even close to being a good shave. What the edge had in comfort it lacked in sharpness.

Already I look like I could shave again. This is only about two or three hours after my morning shave. Terrible.

8-5-19.Kinfolks#1.NotSharp.640.Kit.JPG

Today's razor was my Kinfolks #1. Here's a link to its most recent honing.

Yesterday's razor was my very sharp Kinfolks #2.

Kinfolks#2.8-3-19.640.JPG

Here is the link to the honing of the Kinfolks #2.

As I examine these posts and what I remember of the history of the Kinfolks #1 (the problem child in this group of two almost identical vintage razors) and compare it with the Kinfolks #2 (the clear winner in a two razor heat) I'm not sure what or why or how. I am sure however that I can take the Kinfolks #1 back to the stones (maybe even to the Shapton 320) in an effort to duplicate the edge of the Kinfolks #2.

upload_2019-8-5_12-41-36.png

It's more complicated though. The Kinfolks #2 edge is very sharp. No doubt about that. However the edge is just a smidgeon harsh so I'm not entirely thrilled by the #2's edge either, but at least it shaves close.

It could be argued that these are both rehabilitation projects rather than simple honing. I wouldn't argue with that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well Jim, you are using the burr method so I expect your bevel is set. I don’t see a reason to go back to 320. Maybe you missed a bit later in your progression. When I miss, it is generally the 5k. Maybe rework your mid-range stone. I have had only one razor I could not beat - a Dovo Special and it is in the mail back to its origin to be swapped for a Henckels. Sometimes the bear eats you I suppose.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well Jim, you are using the burr method so I expect your bevel is set. I don’t see a reason to go back to 320. Maybe you missed a bit later in your progression. When I miss, it is generally the 5k. Maybe rework your mid-range stone. I have had only one razor I could not beat - a Dovo Special and it is in the mail back to its origin to be swapped for a Henckels. Sometimes the bear eats you I suppose.

I don't think I used the burr method with the Kinfolks #1. I didn't use it with the Kinfolks #2 either.

I do think maybe it would be a good idea to go back to the bevel setting stage again. With the #1 I mean. Something's way off. It had enough time on the finishing stones to be sharp were the bevel right.

Thanks, Steve, for the helpful comment reminding me of the basics.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don't think I used the burr method with the Kinfolks #1. I didn't use it with the Kinfolks #2 either.

I do think maybe it would be a good idea to go back to the bevel setting stage again. With the #1 I mean. Something's way off. It had enough time on the finishing stones to be sharp were the bevel right.

Thanks, Steve, for the helpful comment reminding me of the basics.
Yep, certainty is a comfort. I would review the bevel in those circumstances as well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was excellent.

8-6-19.WideTorrey.Sharp.Kit.640.JPG

If an edge can be better than the edge on my Wide Torrey I've yet to experience it. This razor doesn't feel anything but comfortable, but the first pass practically gets the job done.

I really nailed the edge!

Beach.Cremo.Serum.PreShave.480.8-6-19.JPG

Notice the PreShave upgrade. Still Grooming Dept of course, but a new version. It's not excessively cooling. Very subtle in that department (which is good I think).

Excellent kit. Excellent shave.

You should be so fortunate,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was good.

8-7-19.Kinfolks#1.BevelSet.Kit.640.Stirling..JPG

This is my Kinfolks #1. The other day I had a lousy shave with it and concluded there must be a bevel problem needing correction.

Today I spent simply forever on the Shapton 320 and the Chosera 1K trying to get a bevel. I was using the burr method. I kept asking myself, "Where's the burr?" I mean hundreds and hundreds of round trips, a significant portion of them on the super coarse 320 stone, and no burr. But, I persisted...

proxy.php

Finally, a burr appeared. I've done the burr method enough times to know what a burr in its most subtle manifestations feels like so I didn't have to push it too far. I'd already pushed it and pushed it and pushed it and pushed it.

It was a bear!

The razor then spent a little time on the SS 3K before heading for both sides of the Washita.

After that it was on to the soft side of the DCA and then to the white translucent convex Norton.

upload_2019-8-7_15-43-5.jpeg

The edge passed the shave test. It was a good shave. However, I think the edge can become both sharper and more comfortable with more time on the finishing stone. I may shave with it some more before doing anything, or not. It's certainly in the category of shave ready, just not gloriously perfect.

I really like this Stirling brush. It's a really soft badger but has plenty of backbone. It's a lather monster. It's not a new brush, but it's a brush which I've always liked okay, but now I like it more. It continues to grow on me and impress me more and more.

Beach.Cremo.Serum.PreShave.480.8-6-19.JPG

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Wednesday's shave was good.

View attachment 1005800

This is my Kinfolks #1. The other day I had a lousy shave with it and concluded there must be a bevel problem needing correction.

Today I spent simply forever on the Shapton 320 and the Chosera 1K trying to get a bevel. I was using the burr method. I kept asking myself, "Where's the burr?" I mean hundreds and hundreds of round trips, a significant portion of them on the super coarse 320 stone, and no burr. But, I persisted...

proxy.php

Finally, a burr appeared. I've done the burr method enough times to know what a burr in its most subtle manifestations feels like so I didn't have to push it too far. I'd already pushed it and pushed it and pushed it and pushed it.

It was a bear!

The razor then spent a little time on the SS 3K before heading for both sides of the Washita.

After that it was on to the soft side of the DCA and then to the white translucent convex Norton.

View attachment 1005803

The edge passed the shave test. It was a good shave. However, I think the edge can become both sharper and more comfortable with more time on the finishing stone. I may shave with it some more before doing anything, or not. It's certainly in the category of shave ready, just not gloriously perfect.

I really like this Stirling brush. It's a really soft badger but has plenty of backbone. It's a lather monster. It's not a new brush, but it's a brush which I've always liked okay, but now I like it more. It continues to grow on me and impress me more and more.

View attachment 1005804

Happy shaves to you,

Jim
Good job

Top Bottom