What's new

Considering the ATT SE1 vs the Blackland Vector...

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
How many of you have both? Currently my only AC type razor is a Brass General that I’ve enjoyed since it was new. It’s been one of my most used razors and my most used SE for sure. I have been curious about these other 2 options for a while but didn’t want to splurge on both so I waited until there was more time for people to get a feel for both so I could compare reviews. Obviously one would be a lot lighter and slimmer but for those who have used both what were the pros and cons of each and which stood out more for you?

I had both and got rid of SE1. If you buy the SE1 instead of the Vector you’ll regret it. Maybe not today or tomorrow but soon... and for the rest of your life. I’m no good at being noble but it doesn’t take a lot to see that the problems of a couple of shavers doesn’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world... someday you’ll understand that. Here’s looking at you kid... buy the Vector.

I have an aluminium SE1 and a Vector, and wouldn't sell either. I bought the SE1 in aluminium rather than stainless steel primarily because I like lighter weight SE razors, and it delivers on that score, being very nimble. Also, I like the look of the finish, and it was cheaper than the SS version. I find the Vector delivers a very similar (excellent) shave, and its narrow head makes it a touch easier to use in restricted spaces. However, this is a tiny advantage, since I find the SE1 really is a joy to use. On the other hand, I slightly prefer the appearance of the aluminium SE1. So, my advice is to buy both.

What about the level of aggression/efficiency between the two?
I would say the SE1 is a bit more aggressive than the Vector, but I still find it very much in the mid range in that respect and don't have to be highly cautious when using it. I'm never sure how to answer when the question of efficiency arises, because I can get a very close shave with a wide variety of SE and DE razors, although some require a bit more time and care than others. Having said that, both the SE1 and Vector do a very good job, are nice to handle and easy to use. If there's a difference in the results I get from them then I can't detect it.

The maneuverability of the Vector is what sold me on it. I have 2 because I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to get another one if something happened to my primary one. It just feels good in the hand. There is no comparison between the two for me. The SE1 was a good shave and if it was all that was available I could be happy. The design of the Vector is outstanding. The shave is very smooth and I never worry about it biting me. If I only had money for one I would definitely get the Vector. If for some reason you didn’t like it I think it would be an easy resell for you.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I was already leaning toward the Vector for the reasons listed. I just wanted to make sure the reviews stayed glowing because the more established SE1 has such a great following and has for a while. I’ll probably order the Vector this payday.

I have the stainless SE1 and the Vector as well as the General in stainless. The SE1 was my go to razor then the General which became my primary razor. The Vector has now dethroned the General. For me I get a closer and more comfortable shave than any other razor I’ve tried. It’s very intuitive and the correct angle is very easy to find.

I have both and a Hawk. The Vector wins. It's the smoothest and as efficient as the SE1 plus more maneuverable. It's funny, most threads like this say "get both" No need for that silliness with the Vector.

I had both. Kept the Vector. The SE1 is a good razor shaves similar to the Windsor H plate. Check out
My Journey with a Blackland Vector for my review of why I prefer the Vector.

I have both. For me, it's the Vector and it's not close. I've thought about letting the SE1 go. The Vector could be my only razor.

One of my first AC acquisitions was the SS ATT SE1 and it blew me away, just awesome. It has a very satisfying heft and balance. Yet the only razor I now use is the Vector.
I am not sure if this is significant or whether I am just stuck in a rut. They are both superb in function and beauty in craftsmanship. Good luck with the decision, a nice quandary to be faced with.

Top Bottom