What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Wow that is beautiful Arne!!! :001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1: you do realise that has made the top of the list :behead:
Thank you for your great kindness Ian. It feels good to tell you that my nephew Björn is coming to visit us. He called and told me that he was on his way. He had just stopped to have a quick snack by the roadside.
bjornAlg.jpg

There are quite a few Scandinavian web shops for shaving gear, but one of them stand out in every way so I go there to have a look every now and then. I once tried to go to their store in northern Sweden while passing by, but unfortunately they were closed at the time. However the last time I checked their web store they had their summer sale and saw that they had a 30 percent discount on a Thiers Issard razor that I have ogled for years. I gave it some serious thought. With a 30 percent discount the price was about the same as a top of the line Aust or Wacker and about as expensive as a basic Koraat. Then again rationally I didn’t need it, but I had been watching it for so long. I bought it. It was in my mailbox when I got home yesterday after a few days roundtrip to see old friends.

This morning I opened the box and scrutinised the razor. It was totally flawless. The bone scales are perfect with beautiful lines and the festooned spine is gorgeous. I stropped it and shaved with it. I couldn’t have honed it better myself. This isn’t my first Thiers Issard and the experience have always been the same. The price is high, but so is the quality.

View attachment 1003977
I can see why you've been wanting it for years, as it's a real beauty. Congratulations, Arne.

There are quite a few Scandinavian web shops for shaving gear, but one of them stand out in every way so I go there to have a look every now and then. I once tried to go to their store in northern Sweden while passing by, but unfortunately they were closed at the time. However the last time I checked their web store they had their summer sale and saw that they had a 30 percent discount on a Thiers Issard razor that I have ogled for years. I gave it some serious thought. With a 30 percent discount the price was about the same as a top of the line Aust or Wacker and about as expensive as a basic Koraat. Then again rationally I didn’t need it, but I had been watching it for so long. I bought it. It was in my mailbox when I got home yesterday after a few days roundtrip to see old friends.

This morning I opened the box and scrutinised the razor. It was totally flawless. The bone scales are perfect with beautiful lines and the festooned spine is gorgeous. I stropped it and shaved with it. I couldn’t have honed it better myself. This isn’t my first Thiers Issard and the experience have always been the same. The price is high, but so is the quality.

View attachment 1003977
Beautiful! What store was it from?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Arrived today.

Robeson.8-1-19.New.640.JPG

Not even a little bit sharp, but the edge looks good to my naked eye. My first Robeson razor. It is labeled (on the shank) as Premier. I see no numbers anywhere.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

View attachment 1003977

Arne, I need to stop reading your posts. You've been giving high marks to T.I.'s lately, and after drooling over your beautiful new razor, I decided that I needed to try one. I couldn't find something that I liked from U.S. dealers, and just ordered this Durandal from France, and at a significantly lower price than available here. I do have one T.I., a very plain Le Grelot that I enjoy, and am looking forward to shaving with this one. I've decided that anytime my wife comments, "Another razor?", I'll just say, "Arne made me do it."

durandalrasoir-z.jpg

Arne, I need to stop reading your posts. You've been giving high marks to T.I.'s lately, and after drooling over your beautiful new razor, I decided that I needed to try one. I couldn't find something that I liked from U.S. dealers, and just ordered this Durandal from France, and at a significantly lower price than available here. I do have one T.I., a very plain Le Grelot that I enjoy, and am looking forward to shaving with this one. I've decided that anytime my wife comments, "Another razor?", I'll just say, "Arne made me do it."

Richard, when I was a younger man "Arne made me do it" was used by my so called friends to explain unfortunate events to their girl friends/fiancees/wives. Strangely enough it didn't seem to reduce my standing among the better halves. It's nice to know that I still am usable as a scapegoat.:001_smile

I've been admiring the very same razor you bought for quite some time. It's extremely beautiful. The faux tortoise scales are fantastic, I've got them on one of my TI razors, and so is the festooned spine. Congratulations!

View attachment 1003977

Wow Arne! You really scored big with this one! Though I thought you owned a Spartacus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been awhile since I've had time to check out the local flea markets. Today my wife and I didn't have much to do so we went to a couple. I was happy to find this Klas Tornblom. It's not perfect but I didn't pay a perfect price either. The blade has some shallow pitting that I think I can get out but I'm going to lose the etching. The ivory scales are perfect.
20190803_180623.jpg

And it looks good next to his little brother. :001_smile
20190803_180851.jpg

I also found this Sheffield axe. I'm not sure if the wood scales are original but they look pretty nice.
20190803_201655.jpg

I've ran across a few of these large wedge blades that are very uneven but this one is pretty straight.
Screenshot_20190803-202831_Gallery.jpg

It's usually a bust to ask for information but the stamp is so light, all I can make out is Sheffield with a frame around it which is somewhat unique.
Screenshot_20190803-201323_Gallery.jpg

And here's a comparison picture of how large it is.
20190803_202249.jpg

Wow Arne! You really scored big with this one! Though I thought you owned a Spartacus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt I'm ashamed to confess that I had to check, but yes I do have another TI with the Spartacus etching:blushing:. The etching on Thiers Issard razors has very little to do with the blade type though. The etching is just a decoration freely used on any blade.

It's been awhile since I've had time to check out the local flea markets. Today my wife and I didn't have much to do so we went to a couple. I was happy to find this Klas Tornblom. It's not perfect but I didn't pay a perfect price either. The blade has some shallow pitting that I think I can get out but I'm going to lose the etching. The ivory scales are perfect.
View attachment 1004843

And it looks good next to his little brother. :001_smile
View attachment 1004844
In my opinion that are two very fine specimen of two of the very best Swedish razors ever made.

Forgot to post this acquisition. Found it in very rough shape and decided to see what I could do with it. Here it is after cleaning off the rust and making new scales. It's a Zaliel Razor Works No. 20. Information on this one is appreciated. I left some "patina" on the blade to show its hard earned age. The scales are walnut. The steel takes a great edge and the shave is very smooth.
DSC_6058-Zaliel Razor Works No 20.jpg

I like the rounded, wavy lines, accentuated by the rounded scales. An interesting find.

I thought it was an interesting razor also, that's why I wish I knew the maker. The blade looks to be well made and has the common line at the heal. The scales also look well made and fit very well. If they're not original, I believe they're pretty old.

Top Bottom