What's new

How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Mike Shults is in Newport and recently got a kuromaku set and a Naniwa 12k. Might shake him loose too.

Mike Shults is in Newport and recently got a kuromaku set and a Naniwa 12k. Might shake him loose too.

I have a friend in Newport who sources red spruce and is a guitar builder....world renowned vintage Martin source and repair. One of my fiddles has a top from a tree that fell in 1995 near Alum Cave, over 400 years old. He was able to get it when Blalock removed it from the park boundary. He met Steve in Cataloochee.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When you’re not a noob? Send your edges to Slash, Bill, Alex, Seraphim, and when they tell you that you’re good, you probably are.
I have a friend in Newport who sources red spruce and is a guitar builder....world renowned vintage Martin source and repair. One of my fiddles has a top from a tree that fell in 1995 near Alum Cave, over 400 years old. He was able to get it when Blalock removed it from the park boundary. He met Steve in Cataloochee.
Wish you guys were closer. Sounds like s great breakfast being worked up.

Steve56

Interesting music connections. I’m not a musician myself, but we have a fine luthier over in Maryville, Lynn Dudenbostel. I know his brother Don well from a photography hobby, Don is a world-class fine art and commercial photographer. We went by Lynn’s one time a few years ago and his shop is impressive to say the least. Both gentlemen are immensely talented. Don said that Lynn had something like a 5-year waiting list!

Interesting music connections. I’m not a musician myself, but we have a fine luthier over in Maryville, Lynn Dudenbostel. I know his brother Don well from a photography hobby, Don is a world-class fine art and commercial photographer. We went by Lynn’s one time a few years ago and his shop is impressive to say the least. Both gentlemen are immensely talented. Don said that Lynn had something like a 5-year waiting list!

I remember Lynn from when he got started making instruments in the mid '80's. His red spruce wood source is my friend in Newport. He's also used Carpathian spruce. The musical/wood community is well connected here.

Don was featured in the local PBS production of the Ken Burns Vietnam series as a UT student photographer.

Chris Thilie ,and his group at the time Nickle Creek, made Lynn famous. Chris liked Lynn's necks as I remember. He plays a mid '20's Lloyd Loar now.

My friend said it takes him 50 hours to make a guitar. He told me he as a Japanese Natural stone he got from another maker.

Steve56

That UT photo Don did is rather famous. He always laughs about it, said that it was pure chance. He was hunkered down during the protest, and when he raised up he saw it and just tripped the shutter! There’s a nice video of Lynn too, touring his shop and he talks about the wood and how it ages in an instrument.

Jnats are popular with woodworkers. Alex Gilmore sent me a video of a planing contest, they shave off the thinnest wood they can then transport it to the judges table. Art of the evaluation is to see how long it takes the shaving to float to the floor, it’s like one cell thick. He said the jnat hones they use travel in their own fitted cases! He also said that the surface of the temple timbers was so smooth that they shed water.

Steve56

Hope so. I am looking forward to learning something.

I think that we’ll all learn a lot. David and I talked in the past about getting several of us together somewhere between Knoxville and Nashville, maybe get Bob Keys from Keys razors in Nashville to join us. Maybe some day.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Sounds like the last line in “Casablanca”:

Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Congratulations!

a box cutter. hold something with a flat edge on the balsa and run the box cutter along that. keep giving it cuts and it goes deeper until you're done.

Top Bottom