What's new

Love of Modern GEM razors

I always liked the GEM razors. I used a few different models such as the 1912, MMOC, Bullet Tip and many others. It was not until I got a modern one, the ATT G1 that I really fell in love with it.
It gives such a nice smooth and solid shave. I like the weight behind the head. I can get a close shave with the G1 and still smooth.
If you have a modern GEM style razor you really like, post here about it and why you like it. Pictures would be nice also. Here is a picture of my baby.

ATT G1_Fine.JPG

My expectations that none of the three modern versions I tried would beat out the MMOC were right. Just not interested in throwing any more $ at a fix for something ASR got so right in 1930.

My expectations that none of the three modern versions I tried would beat out the MMOC were right. Just not interested in throwing any more $ at a fix for something ASR got so right in 1930.

I like the idea of the nice solid head on the new models. Some of the vintage ones you can't be sure if they are bent out of shape from what it was suppose to be. I had an Every-Ready 1914 that was bent. It still shaved okay but I like them to be in near perfect shape.

I like the idea of the nice solid head on the new models. Some of the vintage ones you can't be sure if they are bent out of shape from what it was suppose to be. I had an Every-Ready 1914 that was bent. It still shaved okay but I like them to be in near perfect shape.

The spring on the 1914 is particularly prone to bending. Finding an MMOC or Clog-Pruf in near new condition is not hard.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm glad you've found some moderns that you really like. My issue is threefold: I'm VERY cheap, I like diversity and I have a vintage bias for most things in life. I did try the PAA Starling (V2) which price-wise was perfectly acceptable, and I know it has it's fans, but after trying a loaner for a couple of weeks I wasn't enamored and took it off my "acquisition list". There are so many SE (and injector models) that I have -- and more to be had -- that I just can't get excited by the short list of moderns. That said, I do get interested in the moderns from time to time, but nothing has lured me in yet.

Enjoy your shaves -- your razor is beautiful and sounds like it really works for you!!!

I'm glad you've found some moderns that you really like. My issue is threefold: I'm VERY cheap, I like diversity and I have a vintage bias for most things in life. I did try the PAA Starling (V2) which price-wise was perfectly acceptable, and I know it has it's fans, but after trying a loaner for a couple of weeks I wasn't enamored and took it off my "acquisition list". There are so many SE (and injector models) that I have -- and more to be had -- that I just can't get excited by the short list of moderns. That said, I do get interested in the moderns from time to time, but nothing has lured me in yet.
Enjoy your shaves -- your razor is beautiful and sounds like it really works for you!!!

Vintage razors are nice. I've had many and enjoyed using them. Right now my only one is a Gillette NEW LC that I had nickel plated. A nice piece of history from 1929.

I really like my vintage Gem style razors, some of the most reliable razors I own. I have yet to try a modern one. Someday I will, but there's so much out there to try.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have a couple of the "moderns:" ATT G1 and PAA Starling V2. I also have vintage: a Damaskeene, a 1912, an ER 1914, a Clog-Pruf, and an MMOC.

I have been using the Starling again, for the last couple of weeks. It's a shaving appliance, which is to say that I don't have to diddle with it, adjust, shim, or anything else. Load 'er up and go. That's a beautiful thing when I need comfort and reassurance.

But not tea. I hate tea.

This morning I loaded up the Little Lather Catcher, which didn't seem to show well earlier. Great little shaver this time, probably reflecting evolution in technique but who knows?

I really do like the vintage gear. It's cool to have a century-old tool that still works the way it was intended. I also like the new interpretations. Sometimes they're better than the vintage stuff for some reason that boils down to YMMV. It's a lot easier to get rid of scads of excess money with the new ones, I'll say that.

My main...well, "quirk" is probably the best word...is that if nobody supports the efforts of the folks who are making new versions, then they're gonna quit and concentrate on what sells. Personally, I would hate to look at a shave market that only included DE shavers. (OR considering what sells around here, canned slime and five-blade wonders...) If at least a few of us are buying the new ones, then there's at least some incentive to keep making them.

And make no mistake, ALL of the custom folks who are making SE razors understand that maybe only five per cent of the overall market would even consider SE in the first place. Dice up that five per cent into the Gem folks, the lather catcher folks, the injector folks, the AC folks, and so forth and you can see we got a lotta squeaky wheels and not much grease.

I'm attracted by niches. Unfortunately they're usually REALLY niche-y. SEs and slants are that in spades.

O.H.

Yeah we are a small part of the market share. Right now we have a huge choice. Keep our fingers crossed it stays that way.

It's a lot easier to get rid of scads of excess money with the new ones, I'll say that.

The reason I doubt I'll ever try a new one. My most expensive modern razor was my least like one. It worked fine, but every razor I've bought for less I've enjoyed more. My Slim, Fatboy, 1912, New LC. All were much better than my expensive VDH TTO. :)

The reason I doubt I'll ever try a new one. My most expensive modern razor was my least like one. It worked fine, but every razor I've bought for less I've enjoyed more. My Slim, Fatboy, 1912, New LC. All were much better than my expensive VDH TTO. :)

That's because you haven't tried a new GEM style razor.

That's because you haven't tried a new GEM style razor.
Phoenix Starling V2 Single Edge Bottom Plates cost more than I have spent on any razor and more than twice as much as the ones I like. I probably would enjoy one of the modern ones. The buy in is too high for me considering I don't think I would like it more, and especially well enough to justify the cost difference.

Nice idea for a thread!

I have a Blackland Sabre level 2, and it’s a fantastic razor. I’ve had it now for a little over a year, and it was the second three piece machined stainless steel razor I bought. I enjoy the solid feeling of that type of razor, so it’s nice to have that option in the GEM format. I think it’s cool and futuristic looking. I guess it’s very expensive in comparison to buying a vintage razor, but obviously I felt the price point was fair (I am not someone who makes a lot of money btw, I work at an art museum).

Nice idea for a thread!

I have a Blackland Sabre level 2, and it’s a fantastic razor. I’ve had it now for a little over a year, and it was the second three piece machined stainless steel razor I bought. I enjoy the solid feeling of that type of razor, so it’s nice to have that option in the GEM format. I think it’s cool and futuristic looking. I guess it’s very expensive in comparison to buying a vintage razor, but obviously I felt the price point was fair (I am not someone who makes a lot of money btw, I work at an art museum).

Sometimes you have to give yourself a treat. That is a beautiful razor you can have your whole life. To me razors like the Sabre L2 and the ATT G1 are worth the extra money because they are top shelf workmanship. Worth every penny.
Enjoy it.

Top Bottom