What's new

Face Lathering: how long does it take (you)?

When I face-lather, it takes...

• Under 3 minutes

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • 3 to 7 minutes

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • 8 to 10 minutes

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • It take as long as it takes

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
Lot of good advice here. Not much to add except a +1 on the shave stick when you’re in a hurry. I almost exclusively puck lather but when i travel, it’s an Arko stick and face lathering. Between rubbing the stick on my face and ready to shave it’s under 3 minutes. It’s very effective as a time saver if you’re 100% for face lathering. If not there’s always a proraso can! If i didn’t like building a lather and using a brush so much i’d go the can route. Can’t beat it for speed; though i know many abhor the idea. But in a rush it can be great! And good canned stuff really does stack up if you get over the stigma.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lot of good advice here. Not much to add except a +1 on the shave stick when you’re in a hurry. I almost exclusively puck lather but when i travel, it’s an Arko stick and face lathering. Between rubbing the stick on my face and ready to shave it’s under 3 minutes. It’s very effective as a time saver if you’re 100% for face lathering. If not there’s always a proraso can! If i didn’t like building a lather and using a brush so much i’d go the can route. Can’t beat it for speed; though i know many abhor the idea. But in a rush it can be great! And good canned stuff really does stack up if you get over the stigma.
Yes. "Stigma" was a good choice of a word right there. Some folks can't shave without an artisan soap that's made with goats milk.

Whatever works is what works. My old nose only deserves Arko, but I admit, some of these samples I got in PIF's smell amazing. If I was rich or could sneak it past the War Department I'd be in need of an intervention!

I have sensitive skin. I get irritation from the brush if I face lather, so I bowl lather and then paint it on my face. With my best soaps, I can load the brush in 15 seconds and develop a luxurious lather in the bowl 60 seconds after that. Another 15 seconds to paint it on my face and I am good to go. In 90 seconds, I am ready to shave. Of course, with some soaps, it may take 2-3 times that long.

Face lathering + 2-pass shave takes 4-5 minutes using a DE. Obviously, I can do an OK one-pass shave with a cartridge if I'm in a hurry in 2-3 minutes. Add 2 minutes for shavette or straight razor.

Just face lathering using Proraso (red) soap and Parker Badger brush like I did this morning... I'm not 100% sure; I could do it in a minute most likely, if I was pressed for time.

Chaps,

I'm trying to cut down on the time it takes me to shave. This isn't because I want to hurry the experience, but because I find myself skipping the shave on days when I'm running late. I'd rather not do that.

Face-lathering works really well for me for a variety of reasons; I don't need to go into that here and now. Just know that I'm not going to change that part of my routine. However, I'd like to speed up the process. I find that building a good, slick, well-hydrated lather takes around 10 minutes, and that feels excessive.

I typically use a synthetic brush, as they're foolproof, and I don't load too heavily. My water might be hard, adding to the time, but I do manage to get nice lather that doesn't dry too quickly. I load the brush with ~10 seconds of swirling, then take that to my moist face and have at it. Most motion is swirling, but there's some painting in there, too. Every few seconds, I add a small amount of water to the brush where the bristles have opened up.

How long does your face-lathering for the first pass take? And do you have any tips for how to be efficient about the process?

Cheers!
:a8:
With the PAA Atomic Rocket it might take 30-45 seconds to wet the brush and face lather. This brush always works regardless of the soap type.

Probably 15 sec to load my brush, then another minute or two to build my lather. That is once I have figured out a particular soap.

Chaps,

I'm trying to cut down on the time it takes me to shave. This isn't because I want to hurry the experience, but because I find myself skipping the shave on days when I'm running late. I'd rather not do that.

Face-lathering works really well for me for a variety of reasons; I don't need to go into that here and now. Just know that I'm not going to change that part of my routine. However, I'd like to speed up the process. I find that building a good, slick, well-hydrated lather takes around 10 minutes, and that feels excessive.

I typically use a synthetic brush, as they're foolproof, and I don't load too heavily. My water might be hard, adding to the time, but I do manage to get nice lather that doesn't dry too quickly. I load the brush with ~10 seconds of swirling, then take that to my moist face and have at it. Most motion is swirling, but there's some painting in there, too. Every few seconds, I add a small amount of water to the brush where the bristles have opened up.

How long does your face-lathering for the first pass take? And do you have any tips for how to be efficient about the process?

Cheers!
:a8:

10 minutes? What are you using? A toothbrush and chalk by the sounds of it!

If time is an issue, don't use soaps which you would normally bloom (!?). A synthetic brush and a cream or croap and it will be instantaneous lather.

Hmm, not sure how long it specifically takes to face lather (I voted as long as it takes). My work is flexible for timing (as long as I don't have a meeting, which I typically don't schedule before 9 AM), so I take the time I need. I am the first one up in the house, so my routine is get up, start a pot of coffee, fill the sink to soak my brush I choose that morning and splash water on my face, hang out with the cats and wait for coffee, take a coffee to the bathroom and face lather and shave while having coffee. Then I get dressed and, depending if the wife and son are up, head out the door or hang out for 10-15 minutes.

You don’t shower in the morning? :117:

I load my brush for about 20-30 seconds or if I'm using a stick rub it over my face. Start lathering and add water as needed and get a nice lather in well under 3 minutes. I use that routine with my boars, horse, badger and synth brushes and it works for me.

Nope! Evening shower'er here. Fun fact (not that you asked for it), showering when I first get up gives me an upset stomach and makes me queasy.

haha, love it!

In the heat of summer a shower last thing and crawling into bed with a wet head of hair is a wonderful thing.
dave

Barbasol work's great too, especially with a brush.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Just a minute or 2 from loading to the razor touching my face. The 3 days a week I work, I am very pressed for time with the length of my shift and commute time. My total time in the mornings before I go to bed, from waking in the bedroom still fully dressed to head hitting the pillow is 15-20 mins tops. I can still take a shower like a drill Sargent is screaming at me and then one ATG pass each face and head and I’m done. This gets me acceptable by work standards.

The rest of the week when I’m off, it takes about an hour total, regardless of whether I shower and shave before bed or after I get up. And that just depends on what I have going on.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Barbasol work's great too, especially with a brush.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Barbasol Aloe was my go to for shaving cream for the better part of a decade. You’ll never hear me say a bad word about it. As i’ve said before, if i didn’t like the process of brush and soap so much i’d never have switched from the cans. I do however understand the complaints some have about it being “drier” than some of the high end soaps and creams. To me it was never an issue but i do get the criticism. To get more on topic, any of the suggestions work for you @FoolishMortal?

To get more on topic, any of the suggestions work for you @FoolishMortal?
I've shaved twice since starting the thread. I used a wetter brush, loaded less and got good, slick lather in less than three minutes.

I think that, in the past, I was getting so much soap that I had to add a ton of water and ended up with great lather - just too much of it and too much time spent in getting it. I'll keep playing with the ratios, but I've learned that I can get just-thick-enough lather quickly.

I think I might also have been going past that initial stage of wet lather, overworking the lather to the point of needing to build way too much. Not sure if that makes much sense as written, but the important thing is that I've got a new way to work.

Top Bottom