What's new

Anyone here make their own shaving soap? What kind of recipes (fragrances/oils) do you use?

Anyone here make their own shaving soap? What kind of recipes (fragrances/oils) do you use/recommend? I recently tried my, mostly coconut oil general purpose soap and it worked pretty well. I just heated it up in the microwave in my mug and then formed it to the bottom after it got soft.

I've been making my own shaving soap for a while now. Usually stearic acid/tallow/coconut/shea/cocoa butter. For scents, I've done a couple more or less (usually less) good mixtures but normally just use fragrance oils from Bulk Apothecary. I'm fond of their sandalwood and Bay Rum fragrances, and have made a mix of Amber, Yuzu, and Frankenscense and Myrrh that is nice. Works well for bath soap too.

You need at least 60% KOH in the lye though if you expect decent lather.

I've been making my own shaving soap for a while now. Usually stearic acid/tallow/coconut/shea/cocoa butter. For scents, I've done a couple more or less (usually less) good mixtures but normally just use fragrance oils from Bulk Apothecary. I'm fond of their sandalwood and Bay Rum fragrances, and have made a mix of Amber, Yuzu, and Frankenscense and Myrrh that is nice. Works well for bath soap too.

You need at least 60% KOH in the lye though if you expect decent lather.

This was 100 NaOH, which probably explains why the lather wasn't as good. It was still quite slick tho. Probably because it is a rather strong soap. Good thing I don't have sensitive skin. I will look into getting a little bit of KOH. Thanks.

Top Bottom