What's new

More aggressive DE razor (that doesn't break the bank)

So I don't have a lot of money (or dont feel like it) to spend on a DE but I want one that is more aggressive. What are some recommendations? I have heard the open comb old type Gillettes are good....

Schone in nickel will run you 24.95. Old Types are great, they are succeptable to damage so best bought from a forum member.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I assuming that by "aggressive", you're really looking for efficiency and possibly blade-feel -- that tends to be what draws me in. Definitely the Gillette Old Type; you may also want to check out a slant (RazoRock German 37) fits that bill, and it's relatively inexpensive. So is a PAA Bakelite Open Comb Slant. Somebody will probably toss out the Muhle 41 -- I'm mostly a vintage guy (unless it's a slant). I also really like the Gillette Short Combs and Long Combs.

R41 is close. Used it for years.
Parker Variant is surprisingly close. Nice thing about that is you can dial it up or down.

Don’t forget you can put an “aggressive” blade in a mild razor and get “better” results sometimes.

Fatip OC and Old Types are quite efficient and nice razors. But they're not "very efficient" and won't give you the closest shave you can get. For that you need a R41 or a Karve OC E or F plate. I have the E plate and it's around the same efficiency as the R41. I use fatter handles on both - titanium or aluminium, so just got the heads. Two superb and highly efficient razors. My daily drivers - one or the other - and very happy with both.

Where before I would recommend the R41 I now will recommend the Global Tribute R41+. Cost is $33(for the rose gold and chrome version) and free shipping in US.

marty

M

Member 113878

Get maggard’s V3A or Italian Barber Mentor head, same thing, and use your favorite handle.
Inexpensive, smooth, and quite efficient.

Schone in nickel will run you 24.95. Old Types are great, they are succeptable to damage so best bought from a forum member.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Try searching on “antique Gillette” or “brass razor”. Estate sale Gillette is also good search words/terms. If you find something, send the pictures to us so we can give some feedback.

I have two "never use" razors. A Gillette Old Type and a Cadet Open Comb. Either one is assured to draw blood. Enough so that the Amityville house would audibly ask, "Are you insane?" if I attempted to use one.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have two "never use" razors. A Gillette Old Type and a Cadet Open Comb. Either one is assured to draw blood. Enough so that the Amityville house would audibly ask, "Are you insane?" if I attempted to use one.

Have a look at your Old Type. They should be very smooth.

Before. Notice the 'feet' on the corners of the cap and how that lets the blade basically hover over the baseplate. Imagine how it might vibrate as you shave with it like that.
before (2).jpg

Those 'feet', for lack of a better word, stopped the cap from clamping the blade to the baseplate. 30 seconds with a steel nail file gave me this.

After.
after (2).JPG

Before I filed those feet off it was almost impossible to shave with that razor. Those 30 seconds spent turned that razor into a wonderfully smooth shaver.

Those razors can get bent over the span of 100 years but most are easily fixed.

My first suggestion would be the R41 which I found for around $25 (head only).

Back when I was just starting out on my DE adventure, I was having trouble with keeping a consistent amount of pressure and maintaining a proper shaving angle. My solution (at the time) was to purchase a Dorco PL602 and remove the safety bars. I just snipped the bars off using a pair of finger nail clippers. It was really easy because the razor is made of plastic.

I did use the razor and learned both proper pressure and angle. And I managed to do so without suffering any more nicks or cuts than I did with my more conventional DE and SE razors. As a bonus, it also helped get me past my initial fear of DE razors.

If you want inexpensive and aggressive, the Dorco PL602 without safety bars will definitely punch both tickets. But I would highly recommend the Muhle R41.

Top Bottom