What's new

Button Down Collar Shirts with a Suit

One reads various places including occasionally on B&B that one should not wear a button down shirt with a suit, unless one is going for some kind of informality. I have always countered that a button down shirt is considered entirely proper and serious in top corporate and government circles--that all one has to do is look at formal photos of CEOs and government officials. In this vein, I could not help but notice that Robert Mueller invariably wears a white button down shirt with a conservative suit, including for his recent testimony before Congress. Similarly, I notice that Attorney General William Barr nearly as often wears a button down shirt including for official government speeches. One could say this style of dress derives from the Ivy League. Mueller did go to Princeton undergrad and Barr to Columbia. Mueller went to the University of Virginia for law school, which might as well be Ivy League as far as style of attire goes.

IMHO unless one is trying to go with the "look at me, I'm so mod" look, one should always wear a button down shirt with a collar if one is wearing a suit jacket. Now, if you are talking about a button down shirt with button down collar tabs, I am kind of on the fence on that one. I think I would try to avoid them, but that is me. Also, if I have a jacket I always have a tie. It is just how I was raised. HEY! there is no school like the old school!

Another vote for button down shirts with a suit. I never considered doing anything else. Granted, I tend to be a bit old fashioned, even though I am only in my early 50s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I really didn't know it was a "thing" that one should not wear a button down collared shirt with a tie until I saw a gentleman on here go on a rant about it some time ago. I prefer a button down collared shirt, with or without a tie, and with or without a jacket.

I'm such a rebel!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Suspect we may be talking about different things. The kind OP was talking about the kind of shirt with the collar points that get buttoned down to the shirt. I usually call them "Oxford" shirts but technically those need the correct fabric to be worthy of the Oxford name.

A true OCBD (Oxford cloth button down) is a tad too informal for a suit IMHO, with an exception for regional variances.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think its a more conservative look. I like a smaller collar footprint so to speak so i usually go for no button down. In addition to also hearing ops rule ive also heard a button down is ok with a blazer jacket. These days i keep dress clothing at the office and wear a button down if that's all i have handy.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Suspect we may be talking about different things. The kind OP was talking about the kind of shirt with the collar points that get buttoned down to the shirt. I usually call them "Oxford" shirts but technically those need the correct fabric to be worthy of the Oxford name.

A true OCBD (Oxford cloth button down) is a tad too informal for a suit IMHO, with an exception for regional variances.
Sorry, duh! I was referring to oxfords.

Ah, I forgot about those. I agree with you, they are not a formal shirt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As long as the quality of the shirt and material is nice, I agree that a button down collar is fine with a suit. Anything goes with a blazer. I also agree with @Doc4. The Oxford cloth is more informal. Up to the wearer....

My understanding is that button down shirts started with polo players who were required to wear shirts with collars. Brooks Brothers took this idea to the US where their shirts became popular with Ivy Leaguers. In essence, when one wears a button down shirt with a suit, it is a statement that one comes from that sort of background. Just my $0.02!

I’ve been wearing shirts with button down collars to work for decades. Suit and tie every day to work. I gave up on the unbuttoned collars years back because the moment you unbutton the collar, it looks like wings! I’m not looking like that in front of people.

My understanding is that button down shirts started with polo players who were required to wear shirts with collars. Brooks Brothers took this idea to the US where their shirts became popular with Ivy Leaguers. In essence, when one wears a button down shirt with a suit, it is a statement that one comes from that sort of background. Just my $0.02!

+1. This is what I learned. Wearing button down collared shirts can be seen as a signal that you are a true, east coast, blue-blooded preppy. When I was just starting out in my career, an older friend, who was a CFO, advised me to be careful about this look. He said that you don’t want to wear a button down collar with a suit and tie in front of your boss if he started out in the mail room.

In practice, however, I’m not sure this means so much anymore. Although I prefer non-button down collars with a suit and tie, I would be perfectly fine wearing one with buttons. I also have to wear a suit for work almost every day.

Most CEOs are big dorks, don't take fashion advice from them. It's not a big faux pas for no reason, it's because it looks sloppy

an OCBD is emphatically NOT more conservative than a real dress shirt, it's a casual shirt

wearing one with a tie is even worse...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Cowboy boots with a suit? Of course not ... unless you are in Texas or Alberta. Brown shoes with a suit far better in Italy than England. Button down collar far better in New England than many other places.

Style doesn't change ... but the local traditions that add an extra layer of what is kosher and what isn't DO change from place to place.

In the sixties everybody wore oxford cloth button down shirts. I wore them then and I wear them now. I guess I'll be buried in one. No reason for it.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Frank Sinatra often wore button-down collared shirts with his suits. Hey, if the Chairman of the Board can do it, why not? Same for Gianni Agnelli, who was noted for deliberately leaving his Brooks Bros. collar buttons unbuttoned.

Then, again, you could always have your shirts made with button-down collars and french cuffs to give yourself a more formal look.

Top Bottom