What's new

Factory sharpness when NIB

I have a new DOVO Master's 6/8. I did a hair test on my arm and I don't think this Razor is finished even at the 8000 grit point. I'm going to give it 20 laps on my 12000 stone and a strop and see how it shaves. Surely a factory like DOVO can sharpen a razor to the 8000 point before shipping it out the door. A Shapton 12000 is my only stone. I'll take a close look at the blade using a 12x loupe before and after the 20 laps. This better work. If not I may need to go shopping for an 8000 stone.

If it a factory edge, it may not have been honed properly. It would be nice if you could be more confident in factory edges from makers like DOVO.

If it a factory edge, it may not have been honed properly. It would be nice if you could be more confident in factory edges from makers like DOVO.
You would think a company that can make such a precise device would be able to finish it properly for the end user to at least be able to use it as it was intended. It's like Gibson guitar not taking the final step to tune each string before shipping a $6K instrument. It seems to be the least they can do for the customer.

You would think a company that can make such a precise device would be able to finish it properly for the end user to at least be able to use it as it was intended. It's like Gibson guitar not taking the final step to tune each string before shipping a $6K instrument. It seems to be the least they can do for the customer.
Seems like there are way too many "you would think" situations in this world.
You would think all parents would behave themselves at their children's little league games! :a13:

I've also heard of Dovo razors leaving the factory with slight frowns which I thought was unfortunate. Hope you got it straightened out and it doesn't need any/much more work.

New guitar strings aren't going to stay in tune long anyway. ;)
You would think the necks on USA made Gibsons would be less prone to breaking than Epiphones!:a5:

My first new Dovo did not come shave ready when I got it and it was not the cheap one either. In my case, I was able to get it to shave just by stropping on CrOx.

My first new Dovo did not come shave ready when I got it and it was not the cheap one either. In my case, I was able to get it to shave just by stropping on CrOx.
I'll give it 20-30 laps on my Shapton 12000 finishing stone and then strop it. It should be fine.

Interestingly, I've acquired a NIB Puma and a NIB Morris Red Imp. Both are at a minimum 40-50 years old if not older and each of them only required a good stropping before my initial use. The Puma's edge is still very good even after 30+ shaves.

My Dovo Bismarck and Bergischer only needed stropping and came with nice edges. My BQ 6/8 required some laps on CBN before shaving.

I also picked up a second hand barely used BQ 6/8 that needed correction on the spine. In General Dovo IMO produce quality razors with great fit and finish, some might not have keen edges straight from factory, but so do many other manufacturers.

I will buy more Dovo’s in the future.

Last edited:
My Dovo Bismarck and Bergischer only needed stropping and came with nice edges. My BQ 6/8 required some laps on CBN before shaving.

I also picked up a second hand barely used BQ 6/8 that needed correction on the spine. In General Dovo IMO produce quality razors with great fit and finish, some might not have keen edges straight from factory, but so do many other manufacturers.

I will buy more Dovo’s in the future.
That is great you had a such good experiences with yours. Others haven't been so lucky.
They make good razors, but they seem to have issues with QC. I don't know how many threads I've read about Dovos that had frowns, warped spines, uneven hone wear, or needed rehoning.
If I was buying a Dovo, I would try getting one from a seller that inspects and hones them as necessary before shipping.

I hope it's at least honed to 8K. I have a Shapton 12K finishing stone so I can take from 8K to shave ready. It's my only stone and I don't want to spend money on an 8K or 3k/8k combo if I don't need to. I haven't had time to look at the edge under my 12x loupe and I'm currently busy making a glass lapping plate for my 12K so it'll be a while before I get to it. My old Thiers-Issard Frameback still has a nice edge so I'm using that for now.

I absolutely agree with you about getting a new razor which should come shave ready from being properly honed by the experts at the factory.
However being a performing musician playing a string instrument there is probably no way a Gibson guitar or any other string instrument would stay in tune coming out of a factory or directly from the maker before reaching the purchaser.
Strings are greatly effected by climate as well as the body of the instrument. Keeping any string instrument in tune always requires constant attention.

I absolutely agree with you about getting a new razor which should come shave ready from being properly honed by the experts at the factory.
However being a performing musician playing a string instrument there is probably no way a Gibson guitar or any other string instrument would stay in tune coming out of a factory or directly from the maker before reaching the purchaser.
Strings are greatly effected by climate as well as the body of the instrument. Keeping any string instrument in tune always requires constant attention.
Yeah, maybe a Gibson wasn't the best analogy. I play a Gibson Granada 5 String Banjo. I have recorded a CD of my music, if you would like a copy PM me. Having a 'shave ready' edge on a razor will not be impacted by the environment like an instrument and for the level of craftsmanship that goes into building a quality razor why can't they make sure the razor is at the very least honed to 8k. I have a 12K stone I can take it from there but if you were giving this razor as a gift it would not be shave ready, cost the receiver of the gift money and time sending it away to get honed..I mean that's ridiculous for a Company to sell a product like that. IMHO

Yeah, maybe a Gibson wasn't the best analogy. I play a Gibson Granada 5 String Banjo. I have recorded a CD of my music, if you would like a copy PM me. Having a 'shave ready' edge on a razor will not be impacted by the environment like an instrument and for the level of craftsmanship that goes into building a quality razor why can't they make sure the razor is at the very least honed to 8k. I have a 12K stone I can take it from there but if you were giving this razor as a gift it would not be shave ready, cost the receiver of the gift money and time sending it away to get honed..I mean that's ridiculous for a Company to sell a product like that. IMHO
I agree as easy relatively speaking how quickly a craftsman can make a straight razor the least they could do is make it shave ready. Compare that to the man hours required to hand craft any string instrument and stain and varnish ... no comparison. Obviously banjos are constructed differently!

That is great you had a such good experiences with yours. Others haven't been so lucky.
They make good razors, but they seem to have issues with QC. I don't know how many threads I've read about Dovos that had frowns, warped spines, uneven hone wear, or needed rehoning.
If I was buying a Dovo, I would try getting one from a seller that inspects and hones them as necessary before shipping.
Stop living in others experiences and maybe share your own, not someone else’s story. If you are so convinced please cite some responses with evidence. If Dovo QC is such a big problem this task should be straight forward.
Buying from reputable resellers is always a good idea.

Stop living in others experiences and maybe share your own, not someone else’s story. If you are so convinced please cite some responses with evidence. If Dovo QC is such a big problem this task should be straight forward.
Buying from reputable resellers is always a good idea.
I learn from my own experience so don't concern yourself there. I also try to learn from others when I can. If you really want to read examples I will suggest doing a search and leave it at that. Regards

I hope it's at least honed to 8K. I have a Shapton 12K finishing stone so I can take from 8K to shave ready. It's my only stone and I don't want to spend money on an 8K or 3k/8k combo if I don't need to. I haven't had time to look at the edge under my 12x loupe and I'm currently busy making a glass lapping plate for my 12K so it'll be a while before I get to it. My old Thiers-Issard Frameback still has a nice edge so I'm using that for now.
Please give an update on your findings. I'm sure Dovo uses a quality finishing stone, but if the bevel wasn't set properly across then the length of the blade, it may need more work at a lower grit. A trip to a professional would be a good investment if you aren't sure about working on it yourself. I know it stinks paying for the work (especially on a brand new razor) but sometimes it is less hassle in the long run. It's also a good way to try new finishes without buying the hones.

I learn from my own experience so don't concern yourself there. I also try to learn from others when I can. If you really want to read examples I will suggest doing a search and leave it at that. Regards
i have searched and therefore the reason I cant leave it, no evidence just talk like yours. Regards

Let's throw something else into the mix.
Is it not because we are spoilt by films, pasted edges and billion grid super synthetic stones that the factory standard is not good enough anymore?
When I look at some of the vintage hones that were good enough for our forefathers, I would't even put my kitchen knife on them, never mind something that I am going to shave with. Yet somehow they made it work. Is it because they were better at the actual shaving?

Every NIB Dovo I’ve purchased has been shave ready with stropping. I think a lot of stories come from newer shavers that don’t have good technique and require a higher degree of keenness to make up for the lack in technique.

You have to look at the audience. A lot of straight shavers may have a beard, not shave daily, not be proficient with a strop etc. Most of this is unknown when they post their opinion on factory edges of most modern production straights. There is also an inherent bias on their first impression when it is shouted on a daily basis that factory edges suck. You need at least a 20k finish, JNat is the true way, etc, etc.

It’s a chorus of confusion that overwhelms.

I just shaved with a 6/8 BQ Dovo that has 200+ shaves on the factory edge.

The art is straight shaving is in the strop....as always YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom