What's new

BERKELEY CALIF. BANS MANHOLES

I remember during the women's lib movement of the early 70's, they were supposed to change the word man-hole to person-hole.
It never happened.
But actresses became actors and unmarried women went from "Miss" to Ms, along with countless laughable "gender-neutral" words that didn't need inventing.
The most recent one I noticed was a "Flag-man Ahead" sign that read "Flagger Ahead."

The strangest one that has caught on was changing the name of chairman to chair. Even chairperson would have sounded better. Tp me, a chair is something you sit on - not be in charge of a meeting.

I believe that the language is only for the purpose of written statutes. That's the way around this not being a blatant violation of the constitution.
Yeah, that's how it starts...how they get their "foot in the door."
It's just the "official" words that will be used by government, that's all. You can continue to say or write what you like.

Watch how quickly it will spread...like a cancer, helped along by all the well-intentioned millennials, so eager to signal their virtue by enthusiastic adoption of yet more "sensitive" and "inclusive" language into their every-day texts and tweets. It only remains to find suitable abbreviations or acronyms for them lest they be slowed down by their own Millennial-Speak, God forbid!

And how soon before eyebrows are raised if one thoughtlessly utters the word "man-hole" or "mankind." Will you be looked upon with the same abject scorn and derision nowadays reserved for those heinous individuals who have the unchecked audacity to blithely voice such out-dated and outrageous epithets as "Orientals!" or Esquimaux!"

Ah yes, the well-oiled machinery of political correctness will rear it's arrogant and oppressive head and demand compliance!
Soon they will come for you and tell you how to speak!
George Orwell you were right...just got the date wrong!

Anyway, not to worry. It's just for "official" government publications. You can still say or write whatever you like...

The strangest one that has caught on was changing the name of chairman to chair. Even chairperson would have sounded better. Tp me, a chair is something you sit on - not be in charge of a meeting.
Actually, "chair-person" was popularised in the early 70's as part of the feminist movement's effort to transition to gender-neutral words. Though still encountered occasionally to-day, it has fallen out of favour and been largely replaced by "chair," through a conscious design to find alternatives to words that sound awkward or contrived when the suffix "person" is substituted for the word "man."

I used the word "man-hole" earlier to describe just such a word. It was proposed to be changed to "person-hole" (I'm not kidding!) back then, but it never caught on, probably because it sounded too contrived. To-day the word "maintenance-hole" is being proposed as a better alternative, which avoids the awkwardness of "person-hole" in the same way that "chair" avoids the awkwardness of "chair-person."
Could you imagine if "fireman" was replaced by "fire-person." Sounds ridiculous, right? So "fire-fighter" was chosen instead. Same with "postman." Nobody's going to adopt "post-person" so "postal carrier" was chosen instead.

But "chairman" wasn't the only casualty. "Chairmanship" suffered the same fate. One who formerly held a committee "chairmanship" now holds a committee "chair." Before, the "chairmanship" was up for a vote, now the "chair" is up for a vote.

The most ridiculous thing about this to me is that it exposes the grammatical ignorance of the zealots. The suffix "man" in all of these words is a synonym for person anyway, meaning of either gender, in the same way as "mankind" refers to both genders collectively. Thus, a chairman can be a female, with no need whatsoever to change the word to chair-woman or chair-person. Same goes for line-man, brake-man, craftsman, postman, fisherman, fireman, dustman, journeyman, &etc.

I suppose next we'll have to change those (few) words that end in "woman," such as "washer-woman" or "charwoman," but to what? And what of "land-lord" and land-lady?" Are they now to become "land-persons?"

C'mon, this is ridiculous! Are we all going to cowtow to this oppressive and absurd political-correctness of language?
Do as you will, but I for one will continue to use the words of my choice.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Oh no. Now i have to remove Berkeley city codes off my bedtime reading list. How will i manage?

Steward and stewardess became flight attendants.

Great posts @razorbeing
They'll always be "
phpretty-in-pink-501.jpg
Stewardess " to me !

Oh no. Now i have to remove Berkeley city codes off my bedtime reading list. How will i manage?
Enjoy the respite.
The Berkeley City Code will soon become mandatory reading in the New Order that is to follow.

It will be taught in schools and examined in detail at university level.
It will be hailed as a bold and fearless step toward the gender-neutral utopia envisioned by its framers.

The original will be on display in the U.S. Capitol, where throngs of school-children will be taught that once there was a dark and ignorant time when objects, jobs, titles, salutations, and positions had a presumptive gender suffix attached to them. The unenlightened masses of the day, known then as millennials, even used these bigoted and hurtful words in their every-day speech. Counsellors will be on hand, checking for any signs of trauma among the fragile youths.

But then hope sprang eternal from the prophetic pens of the visionary "council-persons" of Berkeley California and a new era of true equality dawned, one which has given rise to the banishment, e-monitoring and criminal prosecution of the use of those words to-day.

All hail President Gloria Steinem!

Now you may give thanks, in private, to your non-defined personal deity (or not, as you see fit), that we have evolved so far from the bigoted and chauvinistic society of the early 21st century.

Yes Rhody, enjoy the respite while you can...

Last edited:
My recent experience with PC.
At a mates place over the weekend and he proudly showed off his new workshop/armature radio set up. I coined the phrase, nice man cave. I was immediately told this is a gender natural space therefor a 'the Sanctuary'. :001_unsur

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My recent experience with PC.
At a mates place over the weekend and he proudly showed off his new workshop/armature radio set up. I coined the phrase, nice man cave. I was immediately told this is a gender natural space therefor a 'the Sanctuary'. :001_unsur
That poor man. I hope he's married. I can't imagine my wife having a gender neutral place in this house. Vive la difference!

FarmerTan

Lol, I've been in meetings where I wish a chair was in charge of the mtg, as the person wasn't doing too well.

Whatever happened to "Robert's Rules of Order"?

Maybe we'll change it to "Roberta's"?

I am an actual Berkeley resident. I am apolitical, but the ordinance will be ignored in my household. I doubt anyone will really pay attention to it.

FarmerTan

I am an actual Berkeley resident. I am apolitical, but the ordinance will be ignored in my household. I doubt anyone will really pay attention to it.
You're right. Only folks that will really pay it any mind are the news outlets.

...At a mates place over the weekend and he proudly showed off his new workshop/armature radio set up. I coined the phrase, nice man cave. I was immediately told this is a gender natural space therefor a 'the Sanctuary'. :001_unsur
Poor bloke, must be married.
Anyway, next time use the compliment: "Nice person-cave!"

Top Bottom