What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was very good.

7-17-19.Tanifuji.white.back.Kit.640JPG.JPG

Before today's shave this Tanifuji blade, already very sharp, was taken to the finishing side of the DCA for about 120 round trips. Is it even sharper? Not that I can be sure of, that's for sure.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday my shave was very good.

7-18-19.H.Diamond.Kit.640.JPG

Not an E-2 shave but a very good SR shave. Very comfortable. Very much good enough. Still, I want my SR shaves to improve, and not just a little bit.

This is a wonderful razor, blade, and edge.

Good kit. Good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Thursday my shave was very good.

View attachment 999938

Not an E-2 shave but a very good SR shave. Very comfortable. Very much good enough. Still, I want my SR shaves to improve, and not just a little bit.

This is a wonderful razor, blade, and edge.

Good kit. Good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim
That is such a good looking blade Jim. Think you got lucky getting one in really nice condition.

Played around with that Scottish razor I bought a few weeks ago
scotraz.JPG

(Must make myself a small lightbox, can never seem to get the light right when taking pics of razors.)

Sanded it down a bit, but not to a high polish. Decided to leave some signs of aging, even reused the original scales - after a clean up.
Main issue with this razor is, it's my first wedge and it might be my last. What a PITA this was to hone!
I'm not convinced I got the bevel right either, although I just carried on with the progression in the end. Eventually it got somewhat sharp. But probably not sharp enough to get a comfortable shave.
It tree tops arm hair (just), I can tell though it's not as good as most of my other razors.
Spine wear is uneven, thicker near the heel end. Tried to remove some of the thickness with a diamond file at that point. Sort of worked.
Two layers of tape on the spine to hone it. No way this would hone without tape.

Might just keep it for show rather than use it. Or, maybe my honing will improve enough to tackle this kind of blade in the future.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's a very cool razor even if just for display or occasional admiration by you. I'd bet you'll get it pretty sharp down the road.

scotraz-jpg.1000094

It's a lovely razor. Great job of cleaning it up so nicely. It looks like someone took great care of it for a very long time (thanks to your restoration).

That is such a good looking blade Jim. Think you got lucky getting one in really nice condition.

Played around with that Scottish razor I bought a few weeks ago

(Must make myself a small lightbox, can never seem to get the light right when taking pics of razors.)

Sanded it down a bit, but not to a high polish. Decided to leave some signs of aging, even reused the original scales - after a clean up.
Main issue with this razor is, it's my first wedge and it might be my last. What a PITA this was to hone!
I'm not convinced I got the bevel right either, although I just carried on with the progression in the end. Eventually it got somewhat sharp. But probably not sharp enough to get a comfortable shave.
It tree tops arm hair (just), I can tell though it's not as good as most of my other razors.
Spine wear is uneven, thicker near the heel end. Tried to remove some of the thickness with a diamond file at that point. Sort of worked.
Two layers of tape on the spine to hone it. No way this would hone without tape.

Might just keep it for show rather than use it. Or, maybe my honing will improve enough to tackle this kind of blade in the future.

Lightbox and more of the same lightbox.

Photos of set up.

The lightbox I have has been very satisfactory especially set up like I have it.

Just a super cheap basic lightbox with half decent lights and a Y adapter does the trick for me. Anything less substantial and it would blow away. Setting it up permanently on the chest of drawers converted it from a flimsy, awkward to set up and use but still decent box to a handy and accessible tool I use at least every day.

I'm sure more lights might be better, but I like my pictures much better now that I'm using the box.

Would a lightbox assist with wedge honing? Well, let me ask you this..would a lightbox hurt your wedge honing?

Last edited:
Thanks for the lightbox tips Jim.
Ordered one from Amazon, to arrive tomorrow.
Don't know why I never thought of looking for a ready made one before now.

Just need to find me a signature figurine, or whatever, to go with my pics.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for the lightbox tips Jim.
Ordered one from Amazon, to arrive tomorrow.
Don't know why I never thought of looking for a ready made one before now.

Just need to find me a signature figurine, or whatever, to go with my pics.

Not that is hard!

The lightbox seems incredibly flimsy at first and the sides will cave in making it look a bit concave. Set it up in a permanent spot and it becomes not concave at all. It's still just a few pieces of plastic and some magnets but mine's very useful to me.

Now all I need is some talent and photography lessons and a Leica camera.

I'm sure I could borrow my wife's camera, but my phone's camera really does the trick. My pictures are never going to be works of art and I could care less.

Glad to help, sir.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday my shave was excellent.

7-19-19..ERN|ATOR.Kit.640JP.G.JPG

Honed 120 or thereabouts more laps yesterday on the DCA this already sharp edge is now even sharper.

What an edge! I really like this ATOR|ERN razor!

GD Preshave and Serum. Cremo Moisturizer. Oh, I really like this soap. The more I use it the better I like it.

Royall Lyme.640.4-18.Mine.JPG Beach.NewBottle.480.7-13-19.JPG

I mixed a bit of my Beach Splash with my favorite lime splash, and enjoyed the combination.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Decided to throw caution to the wind and shave with my newly restored Scottish razor.
It's sharper than I thought it would be, nice surprise!
Still needs more work, but at least I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Had to use more strokes than normal in some places and felt a little tugging in the dense spots on my neck. Alum didn't sting to badly though.

Is it as good as a Tanifuji? Of course not.
Probably won't shave with it that often, but at least it's useable.

Maybe try it on my Ark to see if I can get the edge up a notch or two. Or, one of my other finishing stones - I have a few options available.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Decided to throw caution to the wind and shave with my newly restored Scottish razor.
It's sharper than I thought it would be, nice surprise!
Still needs more work, but at least I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Had to use more strokes than normal in some places and felt a little tugging in the dense spots on my neck. Alum didn't sting to badly though.

Is it as good as a Tanifuji? Of course not.
Probably won't shave with it that often, but at least it's useable.

Maybe try it on my Ark to see if I can get the edge up a notch or two. Or, one of my other finishing stones - I have a few options available.

Most of us have a funny notion of what "a few" means. We're also terrified of making a list because SWMBO might find the list.

Not saying that's you. It is me.

I'm of the opinion based on my recent use of the DCA - trying to max out the edge of already sharp edges - that a hundred or so more round trips on the convex Ark will improve any edge. Will a flat Ark do the same? Maybe not exactly the same, but I will bet your Ark will really help.

That's assuming you have an Ark finishing stone like a Hard Black, and I'm 99.9% sure you do, Doug.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have 'a few' razors. You Jim, also have 'a few' razors lol.

It's a funny word, few.

Rave has a few Fatips, Mike.

Some gentlemen have a few jnats, brushes, soaps, strops, etc.

I once had a smart girlfriend who said a few was four or five. Maybe three. Definitely more than two. Certainly she wouldn't have thought I have a few razors. By her definition I have a few Fatip Grande razors though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Odd. The picture didnt open for me in your post, I just have the little red X, but it works in the reply.

I had to look him up. I didnt know the name.

Thanks, Mike. I missed the missing picture. So, I got my camera and took another photo of him.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike@Esox might need one?

I need nothing!

Its the want I fight with. Especially now that Connaught is carrying RR razors! I could actually buy a Hawk V2 and Prolines at the same store! Seems I missed the boat on the NSS Signature soaps though. He who hesitates...

So, I got my camera and took another photo of him.

Thats a hell of a camera ya got there Jim. Best be hanging on to that one lol. How did he fit in your light box though...

Top Bottom