What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Here is my group.
20190520_160351.jpg

Vintage Koma.

20190520_154441.jpg

Rest of my Nagura in there resting places.

20190514_002209.jpg
20190328_021901.jpg
20190328_021910.jpg

20190430_012304.jpg

IMG_1945.jpeg
IMG_1946.jpeg

My hardest stone - Ozuku Asagi 5+++ or how it was sold to me - but man it is hard AF. I count the hours to when I can use it again. This stone gets all my kamisori and western straight razors super sharp and finished.

Nice one Tom. I love Botan toishi. Such a useful stone coming from synthetics and they are becoming so rare to find. Bench stone I mean.

I tend to use it on special blades. Like ones from 1700's that don't need crazy work to set a bevel on conserving the original owners work to some degree.

If I am in the mood I take out the botan toishi and jump on it after 1k or 3k. Not every razor though.
Did set a bevel from scratch on a kamisori once.

Nice one Tom. I love Botan toishi. Such a useful stone coming from synthetics and they are becoming so rare to find. Bench stone I mean.
I bought one of those myself - I actually don’t use it as much as I thought I would. But I can see why people like them. I’ll have to give it another go here soon.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
My friend Steve56 sent me a few really nice Tomo today.
B6127607-2528-4C12-A5B4-B33082FF4298.jpeg
Pictures never do it justice but Steve you did a great job with the Cashew lacquer! Most of the time I see brush marks or drips but these look like the finish on a car! I had a few minutes to play with the chocolate Tomo and it seems really nice. The hardness is near perfect for a razor Tomo and it feels great under the blade. No time to finish a razor now but I’ll report back when I do. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
YW David, both cut from stones with problems so keep an eye on your bevels for a while. I tested pieces from the same stones and didn't see any issues, but as with any natural, YMMV. They’re probably both fine for knives regardless and both have razor grade grit in them

Top Bottom