What's new

Moon Mission Techmatic Tribute!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right!

With all (shaving) systems in order, the mission commences!

For me, just another great Techmatic shave, though I did advance the band-blade from 3 to 2 … PdP63, a Yaqi black marble brush and Avon Blend 7 were good for launch!

AA

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I took the occasion of the launch anniversary to try my first Techmatic shave in almost as many years ..

This is an O-3, and is used a band that had been received with the razor as it apparently had 7 shaves left after advancing one. I forwent the hand lather, used a brush and some Schapenmelk to lather up. The shave was underwhelming - the band felt dull and left me with but a socially acceptable shave after my normal 4 & 1/2 passes. The alum gave me more feedback than I am used to. I will try it again tomorrow, but will swap out the band if it starts the same .. maybe takes some getting used to

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I took the occasion of the launch anniversary to try my first Techmatic shave in almost as many years ..

This is an O-3, and is used a band that had been received with the razor as it apparently had 7 shaves left after advancing one. I forwent the hand lather, used a brush and some Schapenmelk to lather up. The shave was underwhelming - the band felt dull and left me with but a socially acceptable shave after my normal 4 & 1/2 passes. The alum gave me more feedback than I am used to. I will try it again tomorrow, but will swap out the band if it starts the same .. maybe takes some getting used to

Absolutely, give it a spin!

I also shave the Techmatic on "HI," it's fairly mild, in my opinion.

Listening to the mission live stream; very very cool.

They are going for third stage burn for the moon (TLI) shortly.

AA

garyg

Ok, will open up an Adjustable next - it did feel pretty mild in exposure, and I do tend towards more aggressive razors.

Listened to a rebroadcast of the launch, then lost the connection, will try and find it again

Just did a quick Techmatic shave (on HI) with barbasol, kind of a 1.5 pass before work. Went great, very comfortable as before. I'll do a proper brush/lather next time if time permits.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I'm about to "advance" my Techmatic from 4 to 3. Fifth shave with the Techmatic today. Last four have been totally fine shaves. I was going to go brushless cream but I think I will leave that to later on in the mission.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm about to "advance" my Techmatic from 4 to 3. Fifth shave with the Techmatic today. Last four have been totally fine shaves. I was going to go brushless cream but I think I will leave that to later on in the mission.

Now THAT requires bravery! The clogging must have been legendary, even in space annals!

The Techmatic doesn't have lather ejection ports, like a Timeless, Tech, etc. The goop must just pile up on the front. Wipe and wipe, I guess, in the absence of running water.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just did a quick Techmatic shave (on HI) with barbasol, kind of a 1.5 pass before work. Went great, very comfortable as before. I'll do a proper brush/lather next time if time permits.

Yes; these things are great shavers. Went to the moon for a reason!

AA

Regret the experience, but it must be due to the cartridge being exposed to an unfavourable environment in the past which has allowed oxidation to build up on the blade surface. The blade bands are super-stainless and under sealed, proper storage conditions will perform as new. The blades as new are sharp and should exhibit no tugging whatsoever.
The system shouldn't need "getting used to." I get a BBS shave with 1-2 passes and the blades last approx. seven shaves. Simply rinse the cartridge head under running water to clean.
You could advance the band, but it may not improve. Best to find a sealed N.O.S. cartridge.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great shaves continue with Techmatic as "Neil and them" head for the moon ...

Really enjoyed the live stream / "real time" rebroadcast yesterday … lots of minutia there for space nerds.

Today was Techmatic O-3 with Lisa's Naturals lavender/peppermint, same Yaqi brush … Avon Leather for a finish. Which seems odd, but the soap was long gone by then.

Moon looks a little larger in the window … "pass me that Tang, Buzz."

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
As the Command Service Module (CSM) speeds toward the moon ...

Another great shave, with WSP Fougere Noir, Techmatic turned all the way up, an Omega Hi Brush (barberpole) and Avon (what else) Tai Winds ...

AA

garyg

Discarded the partially used band I had launched with, and locked in a nos Adjustable 5 edge version. This resulted in a much better shave (wide open) than before. Seems a bit prone to clogging up, as someone else mentioned previously) but managed a DFS this time around with less irritation. The new band had a noticeably sharper edge, and the Adjustable feature allowed some increase in gap, resulting in a better experience for me.

It will be interesting to see how well that virgin band holds an edge after being soaped & wetted & rinsed (I did do a non-original alcohol dip).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Discarded the partially used band I had launched with, and locked in a nos Adjustable 5 edge version. This resulted in a much better shave (wide open) than before. Seems a bit prone to clogging up, as someone else mentioned previously) but managed a DFS this time around with less irritation. The new band had a noticeably sharper edge, and the Adjustable feature allowed some increase in gap, resulting in a better experience for me.

It will be interesting to see how well that virgin band holds an edge after being soaped & wetted & rinsed (I did do a non-original alcohol dip).

It should be fine. I've been treating mine like any other DE; rinse, and put back on the stand.

AA

Discarded the partially used band I had launched with, and locked in a nos Adjustable 5 edge version. This resulted in a much better shave (wide open) than before...
Roger...glad to hear you jettisoned that old cartridge. Probably a Gemini model anyway.
Not to worry, it's orbit will decay and it will completely burn up upon re-entry, over...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Roger...glad to hear you jettisoned that old cartridge. Probably a Gemini model anyway.
Not to worry, it's orbit will decay and it will completely burn up upon re-entry, over...

... Over the Schick factory, right!

Pretty sure crews grew beards on the way to the moon, cleaning up on the way back. Why, Collins is sporting a mustache when he talks to Nixon onboard the recovery ship.

AA

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Seventh shave down with the Gillette Techmatic. Four passes today using Nivea Sensitive Cream. A little bit more sting with the Alum Block than usual but I did do an extra pass. The Shave is excellent, I don’t mind the extra bit of sting with the Alum Block when the Shave finishes up as good as it did. I’m still baffled why these razors didn’t take off. I am really enjoying the experience of using this piece of history. Glad that I signed up.

I was saving this unopened Techmatic for my SpaceX one-week flight around the moon with Elon Musk (still waiting for my invite).

But after reading all this, I may have to just crack it open and try it!!!

3EAFED56-7C82-4C6F-92E0-37D24FB83EBF.jpeg

Top Bottom