What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Kinfolks.

Kinfolks.Vendor's Photo.480.7-13-19.jpg

Vendor's photo. In transit.

First straights I’ve purchased, semi-wild from a vintage store with a small rack stocked by a barber.

I’m getting started on learning something about honing, beginning with lapping films. Should a newbie be trusted to practice honing with either/both of these razors?

JR Torrey I’ve heard of.
719BC081-33D3-46CD-9022-7F2675C7EF0A.jpeg

Cattaraugus Cutlery Co is a complete unknown to me.
9A61E48E-0614-46C1-AC90-A2AB3A463F3B.jpeg
69E7DC4F-B14F-4DE2-81EC-22768A5F42FE.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
First straights I’ve purchased, semi-wild from a vintage store with a small rack stocked by a barber.

I’m getting started on learning something about honing, beginning with lapping films. Should a newbie be trusted to practice honing with either/both of these razors?

JR Torrey I’ve heard of.
View attachment 999106

View attachment 999107 View attachment 999108

Nice razors.

I've recently heard good things about the steel of the Cattaraugus Cutlery Co razors.

I’m getting started on learning som
View attachment 999318
Boker...just something about that curly birch.
ething about honing, beginning with lapping films. Should a newbie be trusted to practice honing with either/both of these razors?

JR Torrey I’ve heard of.
View attachment 999106

I really like the look of that Torrey, congratulations on both finds.

View attachment 999107 View attachment 999108

That's a sweet looking razor. Congrats.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think a razor like this one just about ruins This Drool Thread, but maybe it can be rehabilitated.

It's a Kinfolks which is why I took a chance on it.

Blue Steel Special.Vendol's photo..jpg

$3 + shipping = either a bargain or junk. I bet $6.74 on bargain, but it could go either way.

View attachment 999318
Boker...just something about that curly birch.

You dont say, that is beautiful Sir!!! :001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

I think a razor like this one just about ruins This Drool Thread, but maybe it can be rehabilitated.

It's a Kinfolks which is why I took a chance on it.

View attachment 999445

$3 + shipping = either a bargain or junk. I bet $6.74 on bargain, but it could go either way.

Good luck Jim!!! I think your going to need it.... But a very cool looking razor all the same I hope it can be restored...

Atlas blade came in last week but this ribbon razor came in today. Very similar blade shape and size.

View attachment 999463 View attachment 999464

Not one but 2 stunning razors they are beautiful :001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

Stunning 14 Sir!!! your going to love it :001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

Catching up with The Drool Thread is always fun. I'm all caught up, and drooling.

Two more Japanese razors have arrived.

View attachment 998311

This is a nice Spalding (made by Tanifuji). It's supposed to be shave ready (and might be). It's my third razor made by Tanifuji; nice little collection I have now, and they're all great.

View attachment 998312

Here's my first and only H. Diamond. I know the edge is a great one because of who the vendor is. This one wasn't cheap by my standards, but it may have been a bargain. Boy, do I like it or what!

I'm sure you noticed it's shoulder-less.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I've never met a Tanifuji that I didn't like. I have the twin to the Spalding, the Maxfligold, one of my favorite Japanes razors. I have three H.Diamond razors, but I have never seen one with that grind. They are more like the Spalding. However, they are also very fine shavers and I'm sure that you'll love it. Congratulations.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I don’t buy many razors these days, but I snagged this old 7/8 hollow ground John Barber on the cheap! I do need a restoration project to keep me busy here and there. The scales need a little cosmetic surgery and there is a little bit of rust and staining to clean up, but it should be an easy one.

Nice scores gentlemen, yours make mine look like an old toothbrush...

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I don’t buy many razors these days, but I snagged this old 7/8 hollow ground John Barber on the cheap! I do need a restoration project to keep me busy here and there. The scales need a little cosmetic surgery and there is a little bit of rust and staining to clean up, but it should be an easy one.

Matt

Looking forward to seeing this one cleaned up. Love the anchor on the tang.
What do you think the age is?

Looking forward to seeing this one cleaned up. Love the anchor on the tang.
What do you think the age is?

Thanks, I’ll start on it soon!

John Barber was in production in Sheffield from 1820-1834. My intuition makes me think it was later in their production because of the quality of the hollow grind and because of how light the striking of the logos are. It is also much more modern than their earlier offerings. So I’d say it was made from 1830-1834.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Matt

That old toothbrush will turn out to be a beautiful swan when you have finished with it. I have seen your restores Matt.

Top Bottom