What's new

Post Office Parking Lot

So re-entering my car in front of the post office, I contorted to re-holster my pistol. It’s a pain, but taking off the entire inside the waistband holster is a heck of a lot safer than just pulling the gun. But it had me wondering, how many accidental discharges do you figure occur in front of United States Post Offices?

I have an under the dash holster for mine. It usually rides there when I driving and then I put it in my IWB when I get out if I’m in a place I can.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I have an under the dash holster for mine. It usually rides there when I driving and then I put it in my IWB when I get out if I’m in a place I can.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019
I got to tell you, I have a shoulder holster that makes driving a breeze. I love my shoulder holster!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's what I do when I go to the post office or courthouse (although you can carry in the courthouse if you don't go into a courtroom or the district clerk's office)...a lot easier than taking the holster off. Just keep your booger picker off the trigger and pay attention that nothing gets into the trigger guard.

One time another investigator and I went to the Dallas FBI office on a murder case and there was a sign on the gate that said no firearms allowed on any of the property. What are you supposed to do when you're 100 miles from home? We just left them in the car and no problems.

That's what I do when I go to the post office or courthouse (although you can carry in the courthouse if you don't go into a courtroom or the district clerk's office)...a lot easier than taking the holster off. Just keep your booger picker off the trigger and pay attention that nothing gets into the trigger guard.

One time another investigator and I went to the Dallas FBI office on a murder case and there was a sign on the gate that said no firearms allowed on any of the property. What are you supposed to do when you're 100 miles from home? We just left them in the car and no problems.
Exactly. Banks here in KS have removed their no gun signs. I don’t go into banks much anymore, but when I do, it’s nice.

Heck anymore, just about anywhere in KS lets you conceal. The Uni’s do even. No open carry though.

As for pulling the gun sans holster, I get it, shouldn’t be a problem. But now that I think about it, what if someone breaks into my car and grabs it and it goes off. I wonder if I’d be responsible?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
But now that I think about it, what if someone breaks into my car and grabs it and it goes off. I wonder if I’d be responsible?

That depends on how Kansas laws are, haven't lived there in years. Here, if you have taken reasonable measures to secure it you should be fine. If someone breaks into your locked car and takes it it's a felony...on them. In California though....

Good thing that you are thinking about that. Shows responsibility. Car gun safe?

proxy.php

I don't have to worry about it much if I leave it in a locked vehicle. I have a regular gun safe at home, but if it makes you feel better they are not that expensive.

Car Gun Safes - The Best 10 Vehicle Gun Locks [Updated July 2019]

My home safe is a 12 gun Liberty...great quality and very reasonable prices.

Liberty HD-100 | Portable Gun Safe | Mini Gun Vault

Last edited:
That depends on how Kansas laws are, haven't lived there in years. Here, if you have taken reasonable measures to secure it you should be fine. If someone breaks into your locked car and takes it it's a felony...on them. In California though....

Good thing that you are thinking about that. Shows responsibility. Car gun safe?

proxy.php

I don't have to worry about it much if I leave it in a locked vehicle. I have a regular gun safe at home, but if it makes you feel better they are not that expensive.

Car Gun Safes - The Best 10 Vehicle Gun Locks [Updated July 2019]

My home safe is a 12 gun Liberty...great quality and very reasonable prices.

Liberty HD-100 | Portable Gun Safe | Mini Gun Vault
Great post. Thanks!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Great post. Thanks!

You should be able to find the Liberty portable safe a bit cheaper than the MSRP at another store rather than ordering one from their website. I got my 12 gun Liberty, that MSRP is about $500, at the Atwoods farm and ranch place here on sale for $400. You may be able to find one for a bit under $100 instead of the $120 on their site.

That is something to consider...being as I usually carry vintage firearms. Those ain't cheap. Wish I still had my peace officer cert. then I wouldn't have to worry about civilian carry laws.

No offense to anyone, but why would you unholster and leave your gun in the car just because you're going into the post office, bank, any store ridiculous enough to have a "gun free/no guns" sign. If it's concealed the only reason for it to become visible is if you're forced to protect your/someone else's life. The risk of possibly catching that charge vs. dying with a gun locked in the car feet away is negligible.

I'd also guess you're at higher risk of either shooting yourself trying to subtlety reholster while sitting in your car or more likely having someone see you pulling your gun and calling the police or freaking out.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
No offense to anyone, but why would you unholster and leave your gun in the car just because you're going into the post office, bank, any store ridiculous enough to have a "gun free/no guns" sign. If it's concealed the only reason for it to become visible is if you're forced to protect your/someone else's life. The risk of possibly catching that charge vs. dying with a gun locked in the car feet away is negligible.

I'd also guess you're at higher risk of either shooting yourself trying to subtlety reholster while sitting in your car or more likely having someone see you pulling your gun and calling the police or freaking out.
Because I am not a barbarian, try not to be a criminal and believe in common courtesy.

[My understanding of the federal law governing firearms and the post office include the parking lot as prohibited also.
Consequently I park on the street and leave my carry in the car.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
[My understanding of the federal law governing firearms and the post office include the parking lot as prohibited also.
Consequently I park on the street and leave my carry in the car.

I did not know that...good info. There is only a sign on the door when you go in. I'll bet a lot of people are not aware of it. I did see where a Federal Judge in Colorado ruled that the parking lot was okay, but that was overturned on appeal.

I don't go to the Post Office anymore since I closed down my business and don't have a P.O. Box anymore. I don't even go there to buy stamps. The one they had on the east side of town had a shared parking lot, so apparently the parking lot was okay, but they closed that one down and only have one Post Office here.

I get stamps and mail packages at a little place that does U.S. Mail, Fed Ex, ect. and it is private property and is also a shared parking lot. I only spend about 5 minutes there getting stamps as opposed to 30 minutes at the regular Post Office. I have been done with the regular Post Office for quite some time.

The County Courthouse is fine, you can even carry inside unless you go to a courtroom or one of the court clerk's offices, and they have to have the specified sign, both in English and Spanish, outside the office or courtroom door.

Top Bottom