What's new

Settled on the Hydro5 - a cut above the rest (or under)

After some experimenting between Proglides and Hydro5, I settled on the latter. Both were giving me very good shaves, both have pros and cons. The main cons of Hydro5 IMHO are a very bulky head and a trimmer that's useless when you change the angle to go ATG under the nose.

But - it's the only shaver (including DE) that shaves me at least nearly BBS but definitely DFS after which I don't feel and aftershave burn AT ALL. In my book, that kind of shave is healthy for the skin and will definitely help irritation and ingrowns.

Now, I just hope I can squeeze a month and a half of daily shaves out fo this cart and I can call it perfect.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
But - it's the only shaver (including DE) that shaves me at least nearly BBS but definitely DFS after which I don't feel and aftershave burn AT ALL. In my book, that kind of shave is healthy for the skin and will definitely help irritation and ingrowns.

It's hard to improve on that. Congrats

I haven't used the Hydro5 in a few years, but I remember getting pretty comfortable shaves from it. I wasn't a big fan of the excessive lubricant for the first couple of shaves, but after that it was quite good. Glad to hear you've found an effective and comfortable razor!

I switched to the hydro 5 after the Gillette fiasco, after trying Dorco and Harry’s. Quite comfortable and a nice shave. I think the trimmer thingy is a little gimmicky, and wish they had a separate blade on the back like all the others.

My only other gripe is that I wish there were aftermarket handles available. Maybe as they gain some market share from Gillette, some will start to show up.

Now, I just hope I can squeeze a month and a half of daily shaves out fo this cart and I can call it perfect.

If you still feel like experimenting, give the hydro 3 a shot. The head is a bit smaller, and there are a ton of store brands that sell this cart, so you can get them for a fraction of the price. Just be aware some of the store brand ones are designed to fit on a Mach 3 handle despite being a Hydro head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the Hydro5 Sense is the best cartridge, smoother than the regular 5 version (even though I haven't shaved with the regular version for years).

i cannot agree more with OP. Since i switched to DEs i have only two carts left, DSC and hydro5 sense. Both very close (for ME much better than Fusion overall and at a fraction of the cost) but the hydro is way more comfortable.

I switched to the hydro 5 after the Gillette fiasco, after trying Dorco and Harry’s. Quite comfortable and a nice shave. I think the trimmer thingy is a little gimmicky, and wish they had a separate blade on the back like all the others.

My only other gripe is that I wish there were aftermarket handles available. Maybe as they gain some market share from Gillette, some will start to show up.
yes also my only gripe. I partially "solved" this problem sending a hydro 5 to an artisan friend of mine who's an expert in using mechanical lathes. I asked him to create a custom handle for that hydro5 head. I'll let you know the outcome.

After some experimenting between Proglides and Hydro5, I settled on the latter. Both were giving me very good shaves, both have pros and cons. The main cons of Hydro5 IMHO are a very bulky head and a trimmer that's useless when you change the angle to go ATG under the nose.

I cannot agree more. But there's another reason i like my hydro 5 sense more than all others cart razors: If you backflip the (useless for me) "reservoir" strip you have the blades completely exposed and without pivoting, so you have an "almost-like" DE for the final touch-ups to get a real BBS. For me, a godsend since i found out that with a good lathering not only you don't need any useless "strip/guard/skinguard/reservoirs" but they are also detrimental if you want to get a real BBS because they just increase the actual distance between the blades and the skin.

Top Bottom