What's new

Critter Pics.

Oh those are good dragonfly pics., Troy. We have some but I haven't seen any yet this year and I've not had one light on my finger. They should be around by the pond anytime now.

There are some Monarch butterflies hitting the wife's flowers but I haven't went out and got any pics. yet. I'm also waiting on the praying mantises to show up, but haven't seen any yet this year. I used to pick them up and play with them as a kid. Horned toads seem to be rare now days. I had some pet ones that lived under the hedge in the back yard.
I've been seeing dragonflies for a few weeks now, but the numbers are really starting to increase over the last few days. The secret to getting them on your finger is to find one at rest. If they let you get close enough to snap some closeup pics, just put four finger in front of them and they will usually climb right on. Still haven't seen any Monarchs or mantises yet. Can't wait for the mantises they're usually pretty curious, not to afraid, and easy to work with.

View attachment 991892 Ha! My brother just got stationed at a USAF base in NM. He sent me this last night. Found it in his new garage.
We're right on the edge of the Widow territory, never seen any myself though, and I've looked for them.

20190516_181421.jpg

This cutie was in my wheelbarrow..
About half a dime sized.

Hover fly on Toothache plant bloom.
69F662A4-9A8D-43FD-A5B2-00C7A6441144.jpeg

These stingless hover flies are real thick here currently...especially in the buffalo grass in bloom, which is full of other fliers as well. I was weeding stray grasses out of the stand, and got stung three times by other bees/wasps yesterday.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looked out the window a few minutes ago and saw these little monsters walk across the yard and into the weeds at the edge of the pond, then swim across. The .41 mag. was in the safe unloaded, but the camera was handy.

DSC_0013 (2).JPG

Wonder where Momma was? Pretty close, I'm sure. That is one thing I DON'T want to run in to while fishing: a 400 pound Momma sow with piglets. The .41 is now loaded with a 230 gr. bear load and real handy. Glad I got the new crossdraw holster a few months ago.

DSC_0022 (2).JPG

DSC_0024 (2).JPG

DSC_0027 (2).JPG

dsc_0003-2-jpg.962352

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Zoie dropped by again for a bit..in the front yard. Didn't see the rugrat...she must have put it down for a nap in the grass. I'm sure it's close.

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Zoie is in the back yard right now, grazing on the honeysuckle about 40 yards away. Camera battery is in the charger right now and don't want to bore people with pictures of a common deer. Maybe she'll stay around for awhile...she doesn't seem too disturbed by seeing us. I want her to stay wild though.

Wife said a wild turkey ran across the road in front of her a few miles down the road from here when she was on the way home tonight.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Great pictures, @simon1.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks, they are around here all the time but this one seems pretty tame. She even came up and checked out the back porch. She hasn't even put up the white warning flag, even when we are within about 20 yards from her. She doesn't need to become habituated to humans, and I'm definitely not feeding her. She can eat the honeysuckle to get energy for her baby. Honeysuckle is good for them.

I've been seeing dragonflies for a few weeks now, but the numbers are really starting to increase over the last few days. The secret to getting them on your finger is to find one at rest. If they let you get close enough to snap some closeup pics, just put four finger in front of them and they will usually climb right on. Still haven't seen any Monarchs or mantises yet. Can't wait for the mantises they're usually pretty curious, not to afraid, and easy to work with.

We're right on the edge of the Widow territory, never seen any myself though, and I've looked for them.

The dragonflies have shown up now, but I haven't seen one light long enough to get a pic. though. They'll be around for awhile.

There is a cinnamon phase Black bear about 2 years old prowling the neighborhood..cell phone is not up to getting a good photo of it tho.
Thankfully it is very wild and takes off with any disturbance.
Lots of big bear are completely unconcerned with humans in my area unfortunately.

I didn't go outside as I didn't want to spook ours, but we've had what looks like a family of deer - a buck, a doe and a fawn - in our back yard every day for the last week. They are eating the mulberries. Took this with all my available digital zoom, so it's not the best quality.
20190715_233306.jpg

Juvenile hoary marmot up a little over 6000’ in Goat Rocks Wilderness. Bold as brass, about 10’ away before it strolled off. It has climbed to the highest point above home in a steep jumble of boulders. I couldn’t convince it to donate a small patch of hair for an experimental brush knot. The old adult males definitely have a ‘high mountain white’ mantle over their shoulders.
F37D2721-2BD4-40C7-8135-E9E6EC31C561.png

Top Bottom