What's new

This is why I change my own oil...

Good Lord. Let me represent the clear minority view here. I don't and wont change my own oil. The last time i did was about 1990.
Even reading about the ordeal here was too much of a time commitment. even if i had to pay for oil changes which i dont because they are included in the car maintenance its just not worth my time.
plus i don'want to ruin my manicure. (Kidding)
Fair enough, just be absolutely sure that the technicians are doing everything they’re supposed to be doing. Otherwise it could end up costing you a lot of money. Incompetence runs rampant in the auto service industry.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to do my own oil/filter changes before cars got so damned computerised and the engine bay so full of plastic housings and hoses running everywhere. Now I cannot even get my hand anywhere near where the oil filter in situated. Lucky my cousin is a mechanic and when I take my utility in for a service where he works he does most of my car repairs and “looks after me”.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Fair enough, just be absolutely sure that the technicians are doing everything they’re supposed to be doing. Otherwise it could end up costing you a lot of money. Incompetence runs rampant in the auto service industry.
Yep. I pop the hood and check the oil after they finish. I'm like @Rhody. My days of climbing under a car are through. But I am working on training my son. I saved a BUNCH of money when the War Department and I were poor, basically the first 5 years of marriage. Now we are rich. This shack and all my cars and trucks are payed off!

I used to do my own oil/filter changes before cars got so damned computerised and the engine bay so full of plastic housings and hoses running everywhere. Now I cannot even get my hand anywhere near where the oil filter in situated. Lucky my cousin is a mechanic and when I take my utility in for a service where he works he does most of my car repairs and “looks after me”.
I know, it sucks. Some of the new cars don’t even have oil dipsticks anymore. You have to take it to the dealer or use a bi-directional scan tool to check the oil:a52:

Good Lord. Let me represent the clear minority view here. I don't and wont change my own oil. The last time i did was about 1990.
Even reading about the ordeal here was too much of a time commitment. even if i had to pay for oil changes which i dont because they are included in the car maintenance its just not worth my time.
plus i don'want to ruin my manicure. (Kidding)
I don't change my oil, although I do all the work necessary on my motorcycle. However, if the manufacturers didn't make it so difficult to reach everything, I would probably do the car maintenance as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Back then with those old engines you could get away with it! I miss the old cars
I found 3 old truck magazines at the doctor's office the other day. The only time I remember enjoying the long wait. My wife thinks I'm crazy because I found an old unibody Ford on the Bay in Iowa for 8 grand.

I don't change my oil, although I do all the work necessary on my motorcycle. However, if the manufacturers didn't make it so difficult to reach everything, I would probably do the car maintenance as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The manufacturers don’t want people working on their own cars!

I found 3 old truck magazines at the doctor's office the other day. The only time I remember enjoying the long wait. My wife thinks I'm crazy because I found an old unibody Ford on the Bay in Iowa for 8 grand.
I like the older vehicles too. They just seem to have more character for some reason. I guess they remind me of my dad.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oil changes at a shop can be convenient, or not. Idiots everywhere. After my truck dash "screen" was yelling at me that it was time for an oil change for a few months (I guess the computer goes by time as it didn't have the miles on it for a change) I finally took it in for the steering assist recall and had the oil changed. Did I mention I hate the computer stuff on cars now? What the heck is steering assist, just get a big steering wheal...lots of leverage.

I do prefer to change my own oil. I can make sure it's drained properly (the shops do it too quick), the gasket on the filter is lightly oiled with the finger, every thing is greased good and all fluids are checked, and it's not hard to do. Just get one of the large capacity oil containers that seal and when it gets full take it to the auto parts store and dump the contents in the recycle barrel. There is an AutoZone and O'Reilly store in town. It's an hour round trip to town but my plastic Wallyworld container holds several quarts and I take it in when I need to go to town anyway.

My two pickups, a '15 Silverado and Dad's old '90 F150...no problem, just crawl underneath. My low slung '84 Camaro is floor jack and sturdy jack stands. Wife's new Nissan is still new enough she gets free oil changes at the dealership.

Oil changes at a shop can be convenient, or not. Idiots everywhere. After my truck dash "screen" was yelling at me that it was time for an oil change for a few months (I guess the computer goes by time as it didn't have the miles on it for a change) I finally took it in for the steering assist recall and had the oil changed. Did I mention I hate the computer stuff on cars now? What the heck is steering assist, just get a big steering wheal...lots of leverage.

I do prefer to change my own oil. I can make sure it's drained properly (the shops do it too quick), the gasket on the filter is lightly oiled with the finger, every thing is greased good and all fluids are checked, and it's not hard to do. Just get one of the large capacity oil containers that seal and when it gets full take it to the auto parts store and dump the contents in the recycle barrel. There is an AutoZone and O'Reilly store in town. It's an hour round trip to town but my plastic Wallyworld container holds several quarts and I take it in when I need to go to town anyway.

My two pickups, a '15 Silverado and Dad's old '90 F150...no problem, just crawl underneath. My low slung '84 Camaro is floor jack and sturdy jack stands. Wife's new Nissan is still new enough she gets free oil changes at the dealership.
I ignore the “change oil now” lights and the other maintenance lights. They’re never accurate, they’re just used to freak people out who don’t know anything about cars and get them to the dealership. Every time I change a fluid or do maintenance I just write it down in a small notebook that I keep in the glovebox; helps keep track of things.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I took my car in for some new tires and when I went to pay they told me I was due a oil change. You see they have a ex mechanic working for them......in a tire shop? I told the guy that I hope they are not paying a lot for his extra help if all he's doing is looking at the sticker on the window to give that advise. I change the oil just a Month earlier and had not removed the sticker from the previous owner. When I asked how he had come to the conclusion he had no answer.

So for you guys that don't like the new computer stuff, I do and had reset the cars service light when I last changing the oil. If he had gone into the Engineering Mode, it would have shown the percent of oil life left, which was 75% IIRC.
When I decide to change the oil is always before the service light goes on but not by much, so it's cycle seems right for me.

I took my car in for some new tires and when I went to pay they told me I was due a oil change. You see they have a ex mechanic working for them......in a tire shop? I told the guy that I hope they are not paying a lot for his extra help if all he's doing is looking at the sticker on the window to give that advise. I change the oil just a Month earlier and had not removed the sticker from the previous owner. When I asked how he had come to the conclusion he had no answer.

So for you guys that don't like the new computer stuff, I do and had reset the cars service light when I last changing the oil. If he had gone into the Engineering Mode, it would have shown the percent of oil life left, which was 75% IIRC.
When I decide to change the oil is always before the service light goes on but not by much, so it's cycle seems right for me.
The problem is that the manufacturers recommended service intervals regarding oil changes are insane in these new cars. 10,000-15,000 miles between oil changes? Even with the highest quality synthetic oils you should change your oil every 5,000 miles. Oil is cheap, replacement engines aren’t. You have to keep in mind that what’s best for you as a consumer and what’s best for them as a manufacturer are complete opposites. They don’t want your car and it’s components to last for 300,000 miles. They don’t make money that way.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The problem is that the manufacturers recommended service intervals regarding oil changes are insane in these new cars. 10,000-15,000 miles between oil changes? Even with the highest quality synthetic oils you should change your oil every 5,000 miles. Oil is cheap, replacement engines aren’t. You have to keep in mind that what’s best for you as a consumer and what’s best for them as a manufacturer are complete opposites. They don’t want your car and it’s components to last for 300,000 miles. They don’t make money that way.

Agree, I do mine every 6 months regardless of the k's but that's around 5000miles/8000km so works for me.

When I bought the car a few years ago I found no dipstick for the automatic transmission. Say what, they don't want me to be able to check the state of the oil or volume. So online I go and find that they say you don't need to change the oil it's a sealed box. No way am I taking that advise.
Now the only oil change I don't do myself is for the auto. The machinic I use to take my car to told me they flush the oil. When I asked if he also dropped the sump and replaced the oil filter he said no. That would add extra oil and the cost goes up so does one or the other. That's when I found the place I now use. They rebuild them not just change the oil and do nothing else but gearboxes. This place drops the sump, flushes the remain oil in the system, inspects and changes the filter. They done the oil change no worries and I have peace of mind.

Agree, I do mine every 6 months regardless of the k's but that's around 5000miles/8000km so works for me.

When I bought the car a few years ago I found no dipstick for the automatic transmission. Say what, they don't want me to be able to check the state of the oil or volume. So online I go and find that they say you don't need to change the oil it's a sealed box. No way am I taking that advise.
Now the only oil change I don't do myself is for the auto. The machinic I use to take my car to told me they flush the oil. When I asked if he also dropped the sump and replaced the oil filter he said no. That would add extra oil and the cost goes up so does one or the other. That's when I found the place I now use. They rebuild them not just change the oil and do nothing else but gearboxes. This place drops the sump, flushes the remain oil in the system, inspects and changes the filter. They done the oil change no worries and I have peace of mind.
Yeah, that lifetime fluid stuff is BS. I’m glad you’re smart enough to realize it. I feel bad for other people falling for that crap and getting ripped off and needlessly wearing out major components of their cars.

That is a great looking tool of last resort.

You would think Ford knows better but my brand new 2000 F-150 oil filter was screwed on too tight at the factory. I could not budge it with one of those swivel grip oil filter wrenches, partly due to the tight space and the filter started deforming before moving. So I drove a screwdriver through it only to find the thin metal tearing out. Before it became a total disaster I went and bought the largest set of tongue and groove pliers that I could find. That did the trick.

Hilarious, that the pillock thought you were were a mug that could be fooled into an oil change! Priceless!

Top Bottom