What's new

Just like Grampa used to shave

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've been following a thread started by @FaceScraper about using used soaps. Yes, I'm aware that the end of that last sentence sounds awkward. And that got me to thinking about another thread in which someone was worried about getting anthrax from a used, all bent up brush. Which got me to thinking how big a sissy my old dad would think of me worrying about such things, and how stupid he'd think I was for thinking of shaving as a "hobby!" Can you imagine?

So, with all that in mind, and how at least once a day someone alludes to shaving like their grampa did, I remembered all those brushes that are a hundred years old that are bent that we bid each other up on at that auction house by the Bay. Well, I recently found a brush that was a shedder that I was too cheap to throw out, hidden in the other bathroom so the War Department wouldn't throw it out. I used it to lather a soap sample from @shavefan , and left it sitting in the bowl. The next day, it looked like it had been sitting there for a hundred years, and I thought "I should sell this as a genuine antique!" But, I couldn't bring myself to stoop so low, and decided on this: I'm gonna just use this brush and this bowl to whip up lather with, and never rinse either, and just add soaps and creams to it and see what grows in it. Oh, I'll dump out extra water, but that's it. Why?

BECAUSE THAT'S HOW GRAMPA DID IT!

Interesting experiment. If you don't care much about lather being a certain way I don't see a problem doing it. Brushes are cheap and even a shedder will serve you 5+ years worth of daily shaves.

Why not !!
If my grandpa was able to read on internet all the prepping, pampering rituals followed by expert postulations on cushion, glide, badger v/s boar, 2band v/s silver-tip, scritch v/s scrub, thater v/s $5 Omega, the neo pup sissy thingamajig will make him turn in his grave ...................... many time.

Why not !!
If my grandpa was able to read on internet all the prepping, pampering rituals followed by expert postulations on cushion, glide, badger v/s boar, 2band v/s silver-tip, scritch v/s scrub, thater v/s $5 Omega, the neo pup sissy thingamajig will make him turn in his grave ...................... many time.

He got that at the barber, who did all the reading. Disposable product culture eliminated barbershops from our lives, so we do what we can at home.

This will be an interesting experiment with your experience as an RN. I've worked maintenance in a nursing home and hospital before and know how much hand washing and cleaning in general is stressed in those environments. Granted, I know it has as much to do with the weakened/lowered immune systems of the residents/patients as anything but there must be something to it. I do often remember as a kid just putting the soap back in the dish after lathering my cloth without any kind of rinse to it. I know the slippery surface of the soap will aid in keeping bacteria from setting in on it even when it dries, but I have to wonder if this same principle would apply to a shaving brush used daily and not rinsed.

Hmmmmmm.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
My maternal granddad was an electric man for as long as I knew him. In the 40s and 50s he used Schick electrics (March 18, 1931: The Schick Hits the Fans). Later on, he switched to a Norelco. Mostly, I remember him for shaving for 30-45 minutes at a time to get a decent shave, then complaining that the razors got too hot to hold. Needless to say, his shavers required lots of factory service and plenty of replacement motors.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I've been following a thread started by @FaceScraper about using used soaps. Yes, I'm aware that the end of that last sentence sounds awkward. And that got me to thinking about another thread in which someone was worried about getting anthrax from a used, all bent up brush. Which got me to thinking how big a sissy my old dad would think of me worrying about such things, and how stupid he'd think I was for thinking of shaving as a "hobby!" Can you imagine?

So, with all that in mind, and how at least once a day someone alludes to shaving like their grampa did, I remembered all those brushes that are a hundred years old that are bent that we bid each other up on at that auction house by the Bay. Well, I recently found a brush that was a shedder that I was too cheap to throw out, hidden in the other bathroom so the War Department wouldn't throw it out. I used it to lather a soap sample from @shavefan , and left it sitting in the bowl. The next day, it looked like it had been sitting there for a hundred years, and I thought "I should sell this as a genuine antique!" But, I couldn't bring myself to stoop so low, and decided on this: I'm gonna just use this brush and this bowl to whip up lather with, and never rinse either, and just add soaps and creams to it and see what grows in it. Oh, I'll dump out extra water, but that's it. Why?

BECAUSE THAT'S HOW GRAMPA DID IT!

Careful, you've been spoiled by all your years of only using Arko! As you surely know by now, no live organism can grow on (or near) Arko soap. Now that you have some real soaps the results may be eye opening. Got your PPE?

Last edited:

FarmerTan

This will be an interesting experiment with your experience as an RN. I've worked maintenance in a nursing home and hospital before and know how much hand washing and cleaning in general is stressed in those environments. Granted, I know it has as much to do with the weakened/lowered immune systems of the residents/patients as anything but there must be something to it. I do often remember as a kid just putting the soap back in the dish after lathering my cloth without any kind of rinse to it. I know the slippery surface of the soap will aid in keeping bacteria from setting in on it even when it dries, but I have to wonder if this same principle would apply to a shaving brush used daily and not rinsed.

Hmmmmmm.
I have a working theory: as long as I'm the only one using my petri dish, it will be sterile to me. The only flora and fauna growing in it will have come off my own face.
Careful, you've been spoiled by all your years of only using Arko! As you surely know by now, no live organism can grow on (or near) Arko soap. Now that you have some real soaps the results may be eye opening. Got your PPE?
Well, it's basically your fault if my face rolls off my skull and lands in the sink.

FarmerTan

I can’t wait to see how this turns out.

@FarmerTan , which one of us will inherit yours razors? The brush can go with you.

:001_tongu
My razor "collection" such as it is, is really small, and I have a strong suspicion that it will be held as evidence in my wife's trial for killing me. But after the cops are finished with them, they are yours. I'll write it in my trust.

FarmerTan

Looking forward to reading this thread as the experiment progresses !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am hoping to shave tonight. Not sure of the soap. This petri dish on my face thing is getting me almost as excited as winning a PIF! .......

I have such a meaningless existence, lol.

:a14:That's how I remember my grandfather doing it too!

Kind of reminds me of picking out splinters with a needle, which I did today. People have asked me if I had sterilized the needle and I always respond 'No, but I didn't sterilize the splinter before I put it in either.'

FarmerTan

:a14:That's how I remember my grandfather doing it too!

Kind of reminds me of picking out splinters with a needle, which I did today. People have asked me if I had sterilized the needle and I always respond 'No, but I didn't sterilize the splinter before I put it in either.'
Exactly. How the heck have I lived this long?

Boy, this is bringing up memories.

My father had died when I was 5 and my mother's parents lived with us. As I remember, when I started shaving as a teen, I just lathered up grampa's soap with his brush. I don't remember any repercussions for doing this. Why would there be, we all used the same bar soap.

I am hoping to shave tonight. Not sure of the soap. This petri dish on my face thing is getting me almost as excited as winning a PIF! .......

I have such a meaningless existence, lol.
If you’re a real man you’ll use the same brush and soap to scrub the dishes, wash the dog, clean the grill, etc. etc. :001_302:

FarmerTan

If you’re a real man you’ll use the same brush and soap to scrub the dishes, wash the dog, clean the grill, etc. etc. :001_302:
I don't get drunk anymore, but if you catch me in the right mood I do teenager type stuff.

Top Bottom