What's new

Brush cutter engine options

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm looking at buying a brush cutter and was not expecting to see a 4 stroke engine as a option.
Husqvarna only have 1 x 4 stroke in their line up and from what I can tell they use a Honda engine with their branded trim over it. The engine gets a lot of praise for power and reliability. They also have one electric brush cutter but I'm not keen on that myself.

Stihl are running a 4-mix engine. That's also new to me, it's a 4 stroke but you use 2 stoke fuel in it.

I'm intrigued by the Husky 4 stroke. It does weigh in a bit more than a 2 stoke but I won't be using it long enough each time to bother me, plus a harness should help with that.
Being able to run on standard fuel is a plus, as is the lower noise level.
The higher retail price does need to be justified.

Does anyone have a 4 stroke or 4-mix brush cutter and what is your view on them.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Using regular oil in one is a lot easier than mixing 2 stroke oil that you have to put in the fuel. All I have in string trimmers is 2 stroke...every spring it takes forever to get it started.

The Husky garden tiller I have with a Honda engine has been great for the last several years. My edgers, hedge trimmers, and chain saw are Echo though. They have also been good. A lot of the lawn services use the Stihl edgers and chain saws, but they are expensive.

A friend brought over a DR brush mower one time to go around the edge of my pond and it worked well.

DR Field and Brush Mower

Unless what you are calling a brush cutter is what we call a string trimmer, edger, or weed eater here.

proxy.php

Here's my manual brush cutter...starts every time. :biggrin1:

DSC_0010 (2).JPG

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Unless what you are calling a brush cutter is what we call a string trimmer, edger, or weed eater here.

Yeah....maybe. We do have weed eaters / line trimmers and brush cutters.
I have a regular weed eater, a 25 year old Homelite. It still runs strong but there's times I wish I could put a blade on it for some heavier stuff.

My current one manpower cutter.

20190403_170503.jpg

This is one I'm eyeing up.

Capture.JPG

There's a few blades you can swap onto it and the bull handles with a harness looks better for control and comfort.
Grass blades for the thicker stuff, this and the string line should take care of business for me.
Capture2.JPG
This blade could be handy
Capture1.JPG

The shredder attachment looks like a bush killer.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yeah....maybe. We do have weed eaters / line trimmers and brush cutters.
I have a regular weed eater, a 25 year old Homelite. It still runs strong but there's times I wish I could put a blade on it for some heavier stuff.

My current one manpower cutter.

View attachment 994922

This is one I'm eyeing up.

View attachment 994900

There's a few blades you can swap onto it and the bull handles with a harness looks better for control and comfort.
Grass blades for the thicker stuff, this and the string line should take care of business for me.
View attachment 994913
This blade could be handy
View attachment 994914

The shredder attachment looks like a bush killer.

Now I unnerstand. That looks like a pretty heavy duty one. I have one of your manpower ones, but it is for the big stuff..that or I use a chainsaw. Mine doesn't look as sharp as yours though. Need to get the file out.

As far as the engines go, a 4 stroke is easier to take care of but a 2 stroke has good, quick power. I would not get an electric. Although I've not used one as big as what you are talking about. With two handles that looks like a two man, gas powered post hole digger.

The Husky looks good. One handle higher for a two handed hold. I haven't gotten any blades for the weed eater to replace the string head as I haven't needed to. Roundup works well.

This is what I use for the big stuff.

proxy.php

Last edited:
i have the same but use string. The power is amazing.

I use string as well. I bought mine primarily as a string trimmer for a rough piece of property that was too tough for smaller homeowner trimmers. I picked up Stihls brush knife. It is fantastic. I cut a lot of brush in the winter with it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Something I looked up, Chris. Just because I was curious about the 4 mix thing. The only 2 stroke I have that you don't have to mix the oil and gas with is a '72 Yamaha 2 stroke motorcycle that you gas it up and make sure the oil tank has oil in it. It mixes itself as it runs. Never heard about the 4 mix 4 strokes using 2 stroke oil until now.

I'm sure you have already looked at this type of thing and know more about it than I do.

Someone please explain a 4 stroke engine needing 2 stroke oil mix?

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Something I looked up, Chris. Just because I was curious about the 4 mix thing. The only 2 stroke I have that you don't have to mix the oil and gas with is a '72 Yamaha 2 stroke motorcycle that you gas it up and make sure the oil tank has oil in it. It mixes itself as it runs. Never heard about the 4 mix 4 strokes using 2 stroke oil until now.

I'm sure you have already looked at this type of thing and know more about it than I do.

Someone please explain a 4 stroke engine needing 2 stroke oil mix?

The 4-mix engine is a four stroke with a bypass on the intake to send fuel to the crankcase. Thus the 2 stroke mixed fuel keeps it all oiled. Therefore not needing a oil sump.
What I have read is you must use a good grade of oil and that the values need adjusting sometimes.
Hey that's no biggie, I've got a feeler gauge and like playing with engines.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for this post, Chris. I've been thinking about getting another motorcycle and was waffling between a 4 stroke 450 and a 2 stroke 250 to play with out in the pasture. I have a nice place to ride...has humps in the ground for jumps.

I had about settled on a 4 stroke Honda 450. But I think I've decided to get the Yamaha 250 2 stroke.
I've been to the local motocross races. I think the 4 strokes had their mufflers "tuned" to sound like 2 strokes. The one 2 stroke caught up with the 4 strokes real quick though.

Hope you hear from me again...I'll hurt myself now on one of those.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have a Stilh 4 Mix FS90 that I use a brush blade on. I love the power it has. I have had it about 5 years. Never had a problem .

i have the same but use string. The power is amazing.

The Stilh is sounding promising. I'll have a closer look at their ones.

They made some funny adverts for their chainsaws a few years back but never really promoted their weed eaters or brush cutters much.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks for this post, Chris. I've been thinking about getting another motorcycle and was waffling between a 4 stroke 450 and a 2 stroke 250 to play with out in the pasture. I have a nice place to ride...has humps in the ground for jumps.

I had about settled on a 4 stroke Honda 450. But I think I've decided to get the Yamaha 250 2 stroke.
I've been to the local motocross races. I think the 4 strokes had their mufflers "tuned" to sound like 2 strokes. The one 2 stroke caught up with the 4 strokes real quick though.

Hope you hear from me again...I'll hurt myself now on one of those.

That sounds like a lot of fun. Try and stay on it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The Stilh is sounding promising. I'll have a closer look at their ones.

They made some funny adverts for their chainsaws a few years back but never really promoted their weed eaters or brush cutters much.

Funny i didn't know where that was going

I bought mine at a stilh dealer who kept trying to talk me out of it. Too much power for my needs. Ha ha

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I use string as well. I bought mine primarily as a string trimmer for a rough piece of property that was too tough for smaller homeowner trimmers. I picked up Stihls brush knife. It is fantastic. I cut a lot of brush in the winter with it.
i primarily used mine to cut a small lawn
just had to use the shoulder strap and be very careful not to go deep. Now i use it just to trim. Every few years i clear some rougher areas with it.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'd like to find one of these in a garage sale...
proxy.php

... a bush scythe with something like a 20" blade.
That's what I use.....20" brush blade on an aluminum handle. I wish you luck finding one in a garage sale -- or anywhere but an online specialty retailer (which is where I got mine)....I started out trying to find a vintage one for restoration, but every one I found was in really rough shape and more expensive than the new one I ultimately purchased. They are great tools!!!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
That's what I use.....20" brush blade on an aluminum handle. I wish you luck finding one in a garage sale -- or anywhere but an online specialty retailer (which is where I got mine)....I started out trying to find a vintage one for restoration, but every one I found was in really rough shape and more expensive than the new one I ultimately purchased. They are great tools!!!
The widow maker
I need power tools but ymmv as always

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The 4-mix engine is a four stroke with a bypass on the intake to send fuel to the crankcase. Thus the 2 stroke mixed fuel keeps it all oiled. Therefore not needing a oil sump.
What I have read is you must use a good grade of oil and that the values need adjusting sometimes.
Hey that's no biggie, I've got a feeler gauge and like playing with engines.

im using the synthetic fuel thats pre mixed with oil and gas additives
its expensive but i dont use much. Has anyone tried that?

Using regular oil in one is a lot easier than mixing 2 stroke oil that you have to put in the fuel. All I have in string trimmers is 2 stroke...every spring it takes forever to get it started.

The Husky garden tiller I have with a Honda engine has been great for the last several years. My edgers, hedge trimmers, and chain saw are Echo though. They have also been good. A lot of the lawn services use the Stihl edgers and chain saws, but they are expensive.

A friend brought over a DR brush mower one time to go around the edge of my pond and it worked well.

DR Field and Brush Mower

proxy.php

Here's my manual brush cutter...starts every time. :biggrin1:

How does it work? Do you still use this cutter?

Top Bottom