What's new

Shampoo bar suggestions

@MaxG while I cannot answer your specific question, I have started using an apple cider vinegar rinse every other day as it resets the ph of your scalp, which I believe cures dandruff.

I used to get dandruff unless I used head and shoulders and ever since I switched to good quality natural shampoos and incorporated the rinse I haven’t had any issues and much better feeling/looking hair.

I’m no scientist, it’s just what I’ve read both here and abroad.

I've been a Head & Shoulders guy for the better part of my life, (58), because I had a problem with dandruff and recently in the past few months have been using a shampoo bar from Stirling and have yet to have a bout with dandruff. As to any kind of special rinse there's nothing I do any different than when I used H&S... Straight shampoo and water rinse has worked great.

I just found this thread. I too have been a H&S user for as many years as I can remember. I recently, about a month ago, was able to get my hands on some Mike's shampoo bars. They are great! The H&S may never find it's way into my shower again. I had not thought about other makers for them but will be placing an order for some Chagrin Valley to try. I can't recommend Mike's highly enough if you can get them when in stock.

If you have dandruff, I highly recommend that you try Listerine brand mouthwash. Apply the liquid to your hair/scalp and let it soak for a few minutes before you shower/shampoo as normal. It can be messy to apply but I found that it works much better than any of the widely available dandruff shampoos. Long ago it was marketed for this purpose and some speculate that the eucalyptus oil is a key reason. You may need to use it for a few weeks to "eliminate" your dandruff and then maybe once every month or two to keep it away. Also frequent cleaning of combs, pillow cases, etc, to help eliminate all the yeast/organisms that are lurking in your environment and feeding on your scalp can help.

Last edited:
A few months ago I ordered some Stirling and JR Liggett shampoo bars.

At this point I have not tried the Liggett shampoo bar so I cannot comment on its performance but it smells nice (peppermint) and looks to be a denser soap bar than the Stirling. So it may or may not last longer.

The Stirling shampoo bar has been pleasant surprise. The bar is firm to the touch, a solid squeeze will cause it to slightly depress but it is a harder soap than a Stirling bath bar. The scent is present but not overpowering, not as strong as my Stirling shave soap* which is a good thing, though it is also further from my nose :) I find that the Stirling shampoo bar lathers quickly, it is as quick to use a liquid shampoo. The bar appears to be lasting long enough to be a good value, it will be consumed faster than a hard milled soap but again it is not as soft as their bath bar. The performance has been top notch so far it terms of how it leaves the hair feeling. I have not used any other rinse in combination with the bar. After the very first use my hair looked fuller and felt lighter. I thought maybe that feeling was due to something else, but it continued after the 2nd, 3rd, etc use. Before if I focused I could feel the weight of my hair laying on my head (at least that was the sensation) but after using the bar it was a different feeling of lightness on my scalp.

*(I have a Stirling shave soap which I had felt was too strongly scented, but it seems better now)

Any suggestions for someone like me that hasn't ever tried one? I like the idea of one product for the entire body.
On January 18, I converted to Kirk's Gentle Castile (bar) Soap. :001_wub:
It's now the only thing I use for my skin, body & hair care, nothing else (barring water, potassium alum stick deodorant, and some shaving luxuries).
upload_2019-4-18_6-45-41.png

@MaxG while I cannot answer your specific question, I have started using an apple cider vinegar rinse every other day as it resets the ph of your scalp, which I believe cures dandruff.

I used to get dandruff unless I used head and shoulders and ever since I switched to good quality natural shampoos and incorporated the rinse I haven’t had any issues and much better feeling/looking hair.

I’m no scientist, it’s just what I’ve read both here and abroad.
My experience is the same as Pete above. I've been using natural shampoo bars with a weekly apple cider vinegar rinse for three years now, and it is the best my hair has been for decades; maybe ever.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
If you have dandruff, I highly recommend that you try Listerine brand mouthwash. Apply the liquid to your hair/scalp and let it soak for a few minutes before you shower/shampoo as normal. It can be messy to apply but I found that it works much better than any of the widely available dandruff shampoos. Long ago it was marketed for this purpose and some speculate that the eucalyptus oil is a key reason. You may need to use it for a few weeks to "eliminate" your dandruff and then maybe once every month or two to keep it away. Also frequent cleaning of combs, pillow cases, etc, to help eliminate all the yeast/organisms that are lurking in your environment and feeding on your scalp can help.
Forgot all about using Listerine to control dandruff. My granddad used it that way daily for years. Don't recall ever seeing a flake on him.

I've been using Stirling (barbershop) for the first for a few weeks and it's pretty good.

I've used PAA shampoo pucks and Queen Charlotte which was my favorite but they stopped making soaps

Russian birch tar soap. I only use it on my hair/scalp, not on my body, and I condition after I use it, but it's wonderful stuff if you are used to using a conditioner.

soap.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Sudsy Soapery makes an incredible all natural shampoo bar and conditioning bar. It’s been a game-changer for me. It has amazing lather, great scent and my hair has never been healthier. Great value and very long-lasting.

I'm planning on picking up some Chagrin Valley shampoo bars in the next weeks or so. But I've washed twice with Kirk's Castile soap and it's worked very well. I have used conditioner those times, as in the shower my hair felt a little dry even under the water, but that could just be the effect of the soap repelling the water? I've heard Chagrin Valley bars don't need conditioner, which is why I've been looking into them because I figure one product might over time be better and cheaper than having to use two.

I'll report back on how Kirk's goes, without conditioner, and how I would compare to Chagrin Valley!

I have one from PAA, one from Stirling and one from a farmers' market.

The farmers market is my favourite, lightly scented with cedar and fir essential oils, and it came with a matching conditioner bar that works brilliantly. It was also relatively expensive.

PAA bar makes my hair look and smell very nice (scent is Atmotic which is lovely), but feel coarser than the other two. Note that the ingredients list is less "natural" than the others- contains Propylene Glycol and Polyquaternium 7.

Stirling (unscented) is very close to the farmers market bar, lathers the easiest of the 3. Once I am running lower on supplies I'm eyeballing a couple of those Chagrin Valley flavours.

I have used my Chagrin Valley bar a few times now. It is amazing on how easy the bar is to lather my hair, I do not press it into my skull I just comb my hair with it for a few passes and I am good to go. I was initially worried the bar wouldn't last long, as anyone using a bar of soap can attest to it seeming smaller at the start and end of each bath. But since I use so little to produce a lather, I'm only stripping bits of the surface each time. I easily think the bar will last me a month, meaning the gigantic full sized ones (5.8oz) will probably last me 2-4 months. That's incredible considering the cost of keeping your hair nice and clean is $2 a month.

No need for conditioner. My hair felt like straw the first time I used it, same as Kirk's but I let it dry and wow it didn't feel like that at all after!

Interesting thread. I'm currently using a tobacco shampoo bar by WSP. But I don't think I'll buy again, since getting it to Canada is cost prohibitive. I have used a PAA but found the scent weak and the bar too soft. Didn't last very long. Will try Stirling next. I've been using both their hand soaps and shaving soaps. I find them to be good value and performers.

Top Bottom