What's new

Need a Jnat expert.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Didn't he agree to a return? Why'd you keep it?
Yes he did but eBay told him to send me a return shipping label, which he never did. I asked him twice and he never sent it, then he opened a case on me. eBay stepped in, saw that he refused to send the shipping label, ruled the case in my favor and refunded my money. That’s not how I meant for it to turn out, but the guy is so shady I wasn’t going to risk putting up the cash for return shipping.

Good for you David. I am surprised he didn't offer to send a replacement when you bought another stone. That is the kind of crap he tries.

Yes he did but eBay told him to send me a return shipping label, which he never did. I asked him twice and he never sent it, then he opened a case on me. eBay stepped in, saw that he refused to send the shipping label, ruled the case in my favor and refunded my money. That’s not how I meant for it to turn out, but the guy is so shady I wasn’t going to risk putting up the cash for return shipping.

What a scumbag.

It’s somewhere down in the basement. I thought about lapping the bottom of it to see if it was any good but I honestly just don’t feel like fooling with it. I’ll either give it away or smash it with a sledge hammer in slow motion and put it on YouTube. :001_302:

How thick is it? I have a sic lap marathon coming up soon anyway.

He is unbelievable. I see he covers the identity of the bidders now but still the good old tricks.
I won't lie, some of the stones look good but I would never bid on his auctions. If nothing else then somebody else can get it cheaper and I am not running the price up.
the stones look great! That's the whole point. He knows what people want. They are mostly Nakayama, level 5 and Kiita or Maruichi. He has even had the nerve to put fake Hatanaka stamps on the damn things. I've been working with a few people at eBay trying to get them to understand exactly what is going on. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that they know but don't really care enough to do something about it. I guess the only way this would stop is if there was a class action suit (which won't happen) against eBay (who insures against fraud anyway) among all the whetstone purchasers who were damaged by this guy (what, less than 50? lol), so he is probably here to stay. I just wish eBay had a function where the BUYER could block SELLERS from the search results.

Well unfortunately we all could see it. Guy was buying the fake stamped Russian stones and then he was selling them on eBay. We know the stamps were fake, the proof was provided on one of the threads here on BB.

One funny thing to note about the Russian fraudster is that he does NOT sell to Russia. I guess he doesn't want someone showing up at his door to beat him with his own fake stones.

One funny thing to note about the Russian fraudster is that he does NOT sell to Russia. I guess he doesn't want someone showing up at his door to beat him with his own fake stones.
Yes he doesn't sell in Russia and the local honing community doesn't know him. I have been in touch with couple Jnat sellers from Russia, they mainly sell on their honing forum and nobody has a clue who this guy is. Weird.

Yes he doesn't sell in Russia and the local honing community doesn't know him. I have been in touch with couple Jnat sellers from Russia, they mainly sell on their honing forum and nobody has a clue who this guy is. Weird.
That is weird. He has me blocked from buying. He goes under a few names. One of the most recent names is "Honing_Guide" or something like that.

I just won an auction for my first Jnat, which i've got fairly cheap and i'm not sure what exacly I bought since I know very little about them. According to the seller, the stone is - Nakayama Asagi lvl 5+. I know a few pictures won't tell for sure what it is and from where it came from, but even a little info is better than none. I still haven't paid in case is a fake/junk stone.

View attachment 955835 View attachment 955836 View attachment 955837 View attachment 955839 View attachment 955840

I don't care if someone else calls a stone Nakayama, Shobu or Oozuku and I don't care about stamps. I just take a stone and hone, test and re-test it, that's all.
I appreciate those few reputable JNS sellers being around online. I bought ONE stone from one of them 'cause price was astronomical and the stone works neither worse nor better, maybe sliiiightly better than the other 3 purchased at fracture of its price. I also don't care that this distributor comes from Russia. I get that you can fake stamps, but how to fake natural japaneese stone with its obvious geological structure and characteristics, I have really no idea. Definitely stones I bought come from Japan and this is where they are originated, not from some kind of underground lab run by gangsters.
The truth is that all vendors try to make few $$$, but something tells me that reputable once make just much, much more and this is where the truth is placed... Just right in the middle ....as always.

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
This particular vendor, lists items for what they are not. In this case, is it a nakayama? No one can tell but its NOT an asagi. No Jnats are totally alike that's true. But how can you trust a seller who chills bids, fraudulent behavior and just slaps a name on a stone for what they are not? May aswell sell stones only good for door stops at that point.
After what everyone have said, why would you just be interested in THAT stone?
Abit fishy.

Yes , I agree maybe he is not saint and has his own "technics" to put bread on the table like many other people. Is he worse than reputable vendors asking for sky high money, pocketing mega profit? I think he is not. The only thing I gather after buying 3 stones from him is:
-they are definitely not door stops
-they meet my expectations (hot knife through butter shave), need nothing else ( I guess 300 something other people are happy on ebay as well)
-they make me happy especially with the money I paid for them.

I take stones for what they are, what they do and how they let me "read" them to get satisfying result, not for their names or colors so gladly pronounced in Japanese here.
Just "common sense" -lost art in the internet world.

yes yes yes what he/she is doing is far worse. And I must say its fishy that you have two posts in somewhat broken english to defend a fraudulent ebayer overseas. Maybe you have never used a truly great JNAT. Show us some of your collection.
I think the mods should step in.

Don't buy counterfeit hones fellow members please!
Dont feel the trolls.

yes yes yes what he/she is doing is far worse. And I must say its fishy that you have two posts in somewhat broken english to defend a fraudulent ebayer overseas. Maybe you have never used a truly great JNAT. Show us some of your collection.

Dont feel the trolls.

Why the F you want to shut people up when they are speaking from experience, and then you question their background and broken English! And then you call mods in to do what? ban this guy for speaking his mind and and sharing his experience. Perhaps, he just opened his account to just share his experience. Regardless, you are in no position to question anyone's post/motives. if you do that's fine but keep to your self please.

I also have used these so called "counterfeit hones" they are not counter fit I can tell you that. And the one I got to try/test was an Oozuku supposedly, it performed better than my good vendor Oozuku hone. 1 stone hone from bevel set. Fine, fast cutter and very very hard.

Would I buy form this guy, sure. Only if he has a good return policy.

Last edited:
Well I always suspected that the Russian seller was reading the post on the forums. When we started posting openly about his schilling and names of his fake accounts he immediately switched his eBay to "private listings". When it was mentioned that his hatanaka fake stamps were just too perfect we could see a quick change to less perfect stamps. Coincidence? Absolutely not. Dude is reading and now he is responding.
Welcome to the forum.

Dont feel the trolls.
yes, yes now my english is broken as if it had something to do with JNS quality and I know nothing now and I have no right to say on the forum that I am actually happy with the stones I bought from this vendor like 300 other people who are clearly offended by you as well now. You have your collections and know everything, so the mods please step in and shutter me into pieces.
This is the reason why I signed off all SR forums years ago. Please stick to your stones where names are proper 'cause you like to believe that they are proper and it makes you feel more in nakayama club owners or oozuku club owners etc, but sometimes let other people say what they think too. Best Regards and bye bye

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Well, I think that there are some things that should be remembered about both the stones and the sellers.

As far as the stones go, you can certainly get cheap ones that are good. I’ve bought stones from many of the mainstream sellers and from the cheap guys like 330Mate (remember him, he’s still around under different names) but never the Russian guy, who seems to have a large presence on Yahoo.jp.

Cheap stones are cheap for a reason, otherwise they’d be more. 330Mate used to (and probably still does) get stones from the rubbish pile of closed mines. Can they hone well? Maybe, but they’ve been exposed to weather for decades, have large layer cracks in the body of the stone and other defects like toxic features. They may be fine for decades of light use but the ore was rejected for a reason. These cheap goods usually have no warranty or exchange option if you have a problem or don’t like the stone, and they’re usually not well described as far as fineness, hardness, etc goes. It’s also of course dishonest to stamp stones with fraudulent stamps to increase the price, and you should not assume that this dishonesty stops anywhere!

People like Alex, Takeshi, and Max spend time making sure the stones are tested, lapped and chamfered (usually), and ready for use and if you don’t like it or it isn’t what you thought, just send it back for an exchange or refund. They can tell you if a stone is a knife hone or a razor hone, or a midgrit vs finisher. You can email them or call them and talk about a stone if you want. This level of knowledge and service adds to the price. I suspect that they also reject a lot of stone from lots and not putting that stone up for sale costs too. Here’s a tip, mainstream sellers usually have a lot of stone that they just can’t list. If you want a cheaper razor hone, shoot them an email and ask. You might be very surprised how close they can get to the folks that play fast and loose.

So the choice we’re talking about here is a cheap stone which may or may not be good for your use, that may have and probably does have significant defects but may be fine for a time, but once you click ‘buy’ it’s all yours, versus a more expensive, better quality (at least physically), better prepared, and better described stone with a ‘warranty’ of sorts. I’ve done it both ways and still do, and both ways are OK if you understand why a stone is expensive or cheap.

Well I always suspected that the Russian seller was reading the post on the forums. When we started posting openly about his schilling and names of his fake accounts he immediately switched his eBay to "private listings". When it was mentioned that his hatanaka fake stamps were just too perfect we could see a quick change to less perfect stamps. Coincidence? Absolutely not. Dude is reading and now he is responding.
Welcome to the forum.
FOR GOD'S SAKE PEOPLE YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY MAAAAAAD!!! THIS IS WORSE THAN MATRIX ...

Top Bottom