What's new

Nicks Builder Pro Boots Break-in Log

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Sounds like good advice. Better to get the process going and then keep an open mind to what they recommend based on the fit sheet, purpose of the boots etc.

Nothing wrong with wanting them to look good as well as be practical. I agree about liking the look of a higher heeled boot over the flat sole.

With fit I've always had the opposite problem with width. My feet are always too wide for my boots. So once they are broken in the outside edge of my foot bulges out over the edge of the sole. Not the best. Thats where I always start to feel it first after a long day. So if this problem alone is solved for the first time by a custom boot, then I'll be very happy.

I think you will be pleased with a pair of boots that actually fit correctly.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
End of week three of full time work in these beauties.

Here they are, oiled last weekend, fresh off the truck, and still dirty.
6CC46797-1F3C-4AFD-B9CB-5F77F4C75BE1.jpeg

4C222E96-F9E0-42A4-98D1-24A3835BB03B.jpeg

102F3B50-FA40-4BB6-A48F-80002356FA39.jpeg

1EFD6A18-473B-4C4F-B04E-6E572BEFA73F.jpeg

EB01651B-A8DE-46B8-A3E1-4490870C603A.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Had a near ankle twisting moment today, but was spared the agony by my sturdy 10” Nicks boots.
217F1A42-D5AD-4D5E-BE49-03484A4B560B.jpeg
6AF191E1-E4B5-4530-9A65-01AA75245545.jpeg
I stepped down from the higher section of lumber to the lower and there was a gap in the boards that I couldn’t see due to being covered by the tarp. I stepped on it just right to have twisted my ankle had it not been for the snug fit of the Nicks boots.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Had a near ankle twisting moment today, but was spared the agony by my sturdy 10” Nicks boots.
View attachment 991745
View attachment 991746
I stepped down from the higher section of lumber to the lower and there was a gap in the boards that I couldn’t see due to being covered by the tarp. I stepped on it just right to have twisted my ankle had it not been for the snug fit of the Nicks boots.
Wow. Your new boots have just paid for themselves!

Even for dress casual boots I will be purchasing minimum 8" height.

The height of my 8" Nicks Rangers along with the heavier leather weight provide much better ankle support than the 6" boots I used to wear.

My next pair will be dressier dut I am going 10".

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

Maybe I can use safety as a justification to the War Department as to why I need, NEED such nice boots.....

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Even for dress casual boots I will be purchasing minimum 8" height.

The height of my 8" Nicks Rangers along with the heavier leather weight provide much better ankle support than the 6" boots I used to wear.

My next pair will be dressier dut I am going 10".

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Definitely glad I went with the 10” boot. The last time I sprained my ankle was about 15 years ago and I think I was wearing 6” boots which offer practically zero ankle support. In addition to twisting or spraining there is the compounded factor of doing it 11-13 feet off the ground. A fall from that height could kill or paralyze.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Maybe I can use safety as a justification to the War Department as to why I need, NEED such nice boots.....

If your job requires them, then there you go.

It became easier for me to justify when I decided to be self employed. My income is slightly better and the tax deductions are much better. So for me that $600 pair of boots was only about $400 out of my pocket.

It’s also much more economical for me to be working than laying at home with injuries. So I’m glad I bought them and only wish I had done so sooner.

FarmerTan

If your job requires them, then there you go.

It became easier for me to justify when I decided to be self employed. My income is slightly better and the tax deductions are much better. So for me that $600 pair of boots was only about $400 out of my pocket.

It’s also much more economical for me to be working than laying at home with injuries. So I’m glad I bought them and only wish I had done so sooner.
So how are your feet holding up?

EDDE53FE-40A5-4DF2-BB0A-B2F45BEA1333.jpeg
I’ve been following this thread religiously—well done, @OldSaw! I’m a White’s guy myself, but these look like great boots. I sit in an office all day, but try to do as much “urban hiking” as I can. Here’s my most recent pair of White’s boots.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
View attachment 992554 I’ve been following this thread religiously—well done, @OldSaw! I’m a White’s guy myself, but these look like great boots. I sit in an office all day, but try to do as much “urban hiking” as I can. Here’s my most recent pair of White’s boots.

Very nice.

As far as I can tell the Whites and Nicks are very similar. I can’t even remember anymore how I decided to go with the Nicks. It might have had something to do with Wranglerstar video reviews.

Very nice.

As far as I can tell the Whites and Nicks are very similar. I can’t even remember anymore how I decided to go with the Nicks. It might have had something to do with Wranglerstar video reviews.

Given your good experience with Nick's, I might go that direction next time. The problem, of course, is that I know that my three pair of White's will outlive me (note the cane in the photo), so it's hard to justify another pair of boots. On the other hand, I've got enough shaving gear to last me for 50 years, yet I keep buying more...

FarmerTan

Given your good experience with Nick's, I might go that direction next time. The problem, of course, is that I know that my three pair of White's will outlive me (note the cane in the photo), so it's hard to justify another pair of boots. On the other hand, I've got enough shaving gear to last me for 50 years, yet I keep buying more...
Keep buying. It drives my wife nuts, and will give my son something to complain about when I'm gone! Beautiful boots, by the way.

FarmerTan

Keep buying. It drives my wife nuts, and will give my son something to complain about when I'm gone! Beautiful boots, by the way.
I just bought my first cane. Made from black gum, or so the vendor in Tennessee told me. It's raw, needs to have a finish applied, but fits my hand like a glove! Can't believe how much more stable I feel.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I don’t normally walk very far in my work boots. However, tonight I decided to walk to a restaurant for dinner and then walked back to the truck. Round trip probably just over a half mile. Not very long, I know, but it was a chance to walk on multiple terrains.

Started on gravel and asphalt, then grass, more asphalt, railroad tracks, ditch/creek crossing on rocks, pallets, and old railroad ties, back on grass, and even more asphalt, then reverse. It was a nice little trek and the boots were very much up to the task.

B5EB6135-F6C4-4F5E-9F37-DF2305466145.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Another work week draws to a close and the only cleaning was with compressed air and a small whisk broom. I suppose I should give them a light scrubbing and perhaps a little oil.

They’re getting to the point where I don’t want to take them off once they are on. Still not fully broken in, but I felt comfortable going up on the roof today to blow it off and clean out the gutters.

B3F4B8C9-01EA-4118-B58E-6A108AAC81E0.jpeg

I’m already craving a second pair so I can switch off every other day.

I’m already craving a second pair so I can switch off every other day.

It's a different level of addiction. At ~$600/pop somewhat dangerous.

I wish I went this route when I was younger, I would have several pairs of very nice boots that have been re-soled and re-crafted several times. All at similar or lower cost than the number of Timberlands, Danners, etc I've owned over the years.

Top Bottom