What's new

Moon Mission Techmatic Tribute!

No, we have three crew so far - myself, yourself and @razorboi .

I'll probably leave the Techmatic alone until then, but I do have a Schick Auto Band and two new bands for it, so. Going to give that a try. Can call that a Gemini flight, since it comes before Apollo!

I notice the handle angle on these is strange … may take getting used to.

AA
Curious learning programme, that of yours.
It's like learning to drive in a La Salle and then buying a Cadillac!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Curious learning programme, that of yours.
It's like learning to drive in a La Salle and then buying a Cadillac!

Well. Economics.

I have two Schick cart-bands, and only one for Techmatic ... may as well try to get that offset handle angle right first.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right, just finished my first band-blade shave!

This is what I learned...

Fired up the Schick Auto Band, as I have two band-cartridges for it ... I thought! There at least two types for the Schick, and maybe more, but. One kind counts UP from 10, one kind counts DOWN from 10. The mystery cart had a 10 but appeared unused, so. Here we go.

When diving into mystery razor waters, you want a good soap, so fired up MWF. Hoped it would protect my face from this thing. Anyways.

Start shaving and had to laugh. What IS this?! In the mirror it looked like a tiny vacuum cleaner attachment - it's wierdly wide. But it's a bad start, the thing is pulling. I used a very light touch... Finally said no and tried turning the cart lever clockwise for a new "blade." It worked! And the counter went down to 9. So it WAS a new cart! Ok.

Game on. With a light touch, but increasing confidence ... Went through the normal routine. Finally realized it wasn't going to plane off a piece of my face ... But that is a leap of faith.

It did feel like a tool of some kind, not at all like other razors. Very very odd. But it shaved. Did three full passes, one more than normal. Increased the setting from mid to high, also. Cleaned up under nose...

No weepers. Not the closest shave ever, but I did take it ATG, with no rash. Slapped on some 1969 Avon Bravo aftershave.

Band razors work - at least this Schick does.

Let's see how different Techmatic can be ...

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
the-only-thing-we-have-to-fear-is-fear-itself.jpg

All right, just finished my first band-blade shave!

This is what I learned...

Fired up the Schick Auto Band, as I have two band-cartridges for it ... I thought! There at least two types for the Schick, and maybe more, but. One kind counts UP from 10, one kind counts DOWN from 10. The mystery cart had a 10 but appeared unused, so. Here we go.

When diving into mystery razor waters, you want a good soap, so fired up MWF. Hoped it would protect my face from this thing. Anyways.

Start shaving and had to laugh. What IS this?! In the mirror it looked like a tiny vacuum cleaner attachment - it's wierdly wide. But it's a bad start, the thing is pulling. I used a very light touch... Finally said no and tried turning the cart lever clockwise for a new "blade." It worked! And the counter went down to 9. So it WAS a new cart! Ok.

Game on. With a light touch, but increasing confidence ... Went through the normal routine. Finally realized it wasn't going to plane off a piece of my face ... But that is a leap of faith.

It did feel like a tool of some kind, not at all like other razors. Very very odd. But it shaved. Did three full passes, one more than normal. Increased the setting from mid to high, also. Cleaned up under nose...

No weepers. Not the closest shave ever, but I did take it ATG, with no rash. Slapped on some 1969 Avon Bravo aftershave.

Band razors work - at least this Schick does.

Let's see how different Techmatic can be ...

AA
I see you're doing some pre-launch practising. Very wise!
These old cartridges can vary widely depending upon the conditions under which they have been stored. The first blade position is the one on the outside of the cartridge, exposed since it was made. It would appear yours suffered from oxidation formed by a humid environment at some time in its history. The remaining "blades," stored internally usually fare better. You can expect the remaining blades to be similar to the second one. Still, the humidity could somewhat have affected the remaining blades.
When you find a cartridge with a good first blade, you will know it has been stored in ideal conditions, and the remaining blades will shave like new.
I have had good results with new-old-stock cartridges still sealed on their blister packs. An unwrapped cartridge is simply a gamble.
I have never used the Schick cartridges, only Techmatic's, so I cannot compare.
As I understand it, Schick copied Techmatic's design, making their own razors and cartridges. Schick made their cartridge compatible with the Techmatic handle, which gave Gillette some competition in the cartridge market. Unfortunately for Gillette, Schick's design prevented Gillette cartridges from being compatible in a Schick razor!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I see you're doing some pre-launch practising. Very wise!
These old cartridges can vary widely depending upon the conditions under which they have been stored. The first blade position is the one on the outside of the cartridge, exposed since it was made. It would appear yours suffered from oxidation formed by a humid environment at some time in its history. The remaining "blades," stored internally usually fare better. You can expect the remaining blades to be similar to the second one. Still, the humidity could somewhat have affected the remaining blades.
When you find a cartridge with a good first blade, you will know it has been stored in ideal conditions, and the remaining blades will shave like new.
I have had good results with new-old-stock cartridges still sealed on their blister packs. An unwrapped cartridge is simply a gamble.
I have never used the Schick cartridges, only Techmatic's, so I cannot compare.
As I understand it, Schick copied Techmatic's design, making their own razors and cartridges. Schick made their cartridge compatible with the Techmatic handle, which gave Gillette some competition in the cartridge market. Unfortunately for Gillette, Schick's design prevented Gillette cartridges from being compatible in a Schick razor!

All right! Thanks, this makes sense... It was an unwrapped cartridge, but the other two are in blister pack.

A fun shave for sure! You're risking your face, but as I always say, "take no chances, have no fun."

Actually it is a close shave, upon further inspection.

Odd but likable. I picked the Schick to try first, based on the number of positive reports ... However. Fear of Techmatic is gone! The angle and style is intuitive. One cautious shave can make you a band-believer!

AA

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
1969 was a good year - I graduated from High School, watched another Buckeye walk on the moon, went to Woodstock, off that fall to college. I recall using the Techmatic (maybe the Schick, I'm not sure but I recall those winding blades) somewhere around that time. I don't have fond memories of the shaves, but have one that has been sitting idle since those days that I will give a go with during the appointed days .. so I'm In

Ad Astra

The Instigator
1969 was a good year - I graduated from High School, watched another Buckeye walk on the moon, went to Woodstock, off that fall to college. I recall using the Techmatic (maybe the Schick, I'm not sure but I recall those winding blades) somewhere around that time. I don't have fond memories of the shaves, but have one that has been sitting idle since those days that I will give a go with during the appointed days .. so I'm In

Well, all right @garyg ! History awaits!

And one can have confidence in this technology, as @razorboi indicated. I had a second great shave today with the thing ... Finally figured out what it reminds me of: one of those plastic ice scrapers they use up north!

Swipe this thing around, next minute you do have a pretty good shave, I will say.

Handle is grippy when wet, and I admit it does well undernose. Learning curve is one cautious shave, I think!

AA

Well, all right @garyg ! History awaits!

And one can have confidence in this technology, as @razorboi indicated. I had a second great shave today with the thing ... Finally figured out what it reminds me of: one of those plastic ice scrapers they use up north!

Swipe this thing around, next minute you do have a pretty good shave, I will say.

Handle is grippy when wet, and I admit it does well undernose. Learning curve is one cautious shave, I think!

AA
Learning curve is quick.
In no time you'll be whipping that thing round your face for a BBS shave in half the time of a D.E.
ps. The Techmatic "blade" is just a tad wider than a D.E., but noticeable. Moreover, it's "accurate," i.e. easier to see where the blade is for perfect moustache and side-burn trimming, also, easier to use on upper lip than D.E. razors.

First time I saw this thread.

For me, the Techmatic was the worst razor ever produced. I used it for a few months and threw it out.

I have a thick, wiry beard that goes in different directions. For me, the Techmatic pulled and tugged my beard and I could never get a close shave with it. I hope you guys get better results than I did.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Mmmmmmm, do I stay the novice and not touch the Techmatic until launch date?

Up to you! The kit is available on the bay ... Shaves per band could be many, five will get you from July 16 to 20 ... I now believe the Apollo crew took these with the belief Techmatic was the future of shaving!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
First time I saw this thread.

For me, the Techmatic was the worst razor ever produced. I used it for a few months and threw it out.

I have a thick, wiry beard that goes in different directions. For me, the Techmatic pulled and tugged my beard and I could never get a close shave with it. I hope you guys get better results than I did.

Jim, I bet if you tried one today, you'd fare better: with 50 years of experience, you can shave well with any razor. It may have been a bad band-blade! Truly I've gotten two good shaves ... Well. Had to discard a band-blade, then got two good shaves...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Speaking for myself, I prefer an experienced co-pilot...or are you the navigator?

Remember, they switched seats at times for different functions ... The real question is, anyone willing to use brushless cream and no running water?

AA :07:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Learning curve is quick.
In no time you'll be whipping that thing round your face for a BBS shave in half the time of a D.E.
ps. The Techmatic "blade" is just a tad wider than a D.E., but noticeable. Moreover, it's "accurate," i.e. easier to see where the blade is for perfect moustache and side-burn trimming, also, easier to use on upper lip than D.E. razors.

It IS a good feel. The "wider" is noticeable, useful and good! That's the "ice scraper" thing I meant - wider is better!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After a third shave, it occurs to me: I usually get 5-6 shaves per blade. This band-cartridge has 10 "blades."

Wholly crow; 60 shaves without a reload?!

And they discontinued this?

Never mind the moon, you could take Techmatic to Mars!

AA

After a third shave, it occurs to me: I usually get 5-6 shaves per blade. This band-cartridge has 10 "blades."

Wholly crow; 60 shaves without a reload?!

And they discontinued this?

Never mind the moon, you could take Techmatic to Mars!

AA
I never thought of it as remarkable, but you're right, no other razor before or since has ever provided so many shaves in one single cartridge!
ps. There were cartridges that held more than ten "blades," but they're hard to come across these days.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Alright, I am thinking of digging up all my Techmatic stuff on Friday and then maybe, just maybe having a run on the weekend. I shouldn’t go into this completely blind.

Top Bottom