What's new

Heavyweight boxing

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I recently listened to the Joe Rogan podcast from last fall, where he interviewed Tyson Fury.

Apart from the Pacquiao--Mayweather fight a few years ago (and a few years too late), I haven't cared about boxing for a long time. But after listening to this podcast, I may be interested again.

The Ruiz Jr. vs. Anthony Joshua upset, made things pretty interesting. Anthony Joshua got exposed as a fake. Wilder vs. Fury 2 would be good. Wilder is horrible as far as standard boxing skills go. However, he throws bombs. Fury is a much more technical fighter, but doesn't throw with quite the same power. Boxing is finally getting interesting again.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I really miss watching boxing but I seriously doubt it will ever get back to its former glory.

The last good heavyweight I followed was Lennox Lewis. I still think he had the best right hand in boxing.

I really miss watching boxing but I seriously doubt it will ever get back to its former glory.

The last good heavyweight I followed was Lennox Lewis. I still think he had the best right hand in boxing.

Have you watched any of Wilder? His power is out of this world.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Have you watched any of Wilder? His power is out of this world.

No. I hadnt even heard of him. I think the last fight I watched was a De La Hoya fight or maybe Roy Jones Jr.. I cant remember but its a while ago.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
After watching this I can see his potential but you're right, his skills arent the greatest. He's a headhunter but he does have potential.

He doesnt have the natural ability of say, Holyfield though. In the words of Mike Tyson, he throws punches with bad intentions lol.

After watching this I can see his potential but you're right, his skills arent the greatest. He's a headhunter but he does have potential.

He doesnt have the natural ability of say, Holyfield though. In the words of Mike Tyson, he throws punches with bad intentions lol.

He boxes like it's Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots.

That's what makes the Fury matchup so exciting. If you watch the last fight Fury had, his footwork, defense, and movement are really good. I think in the rematch, when/if it happens, Wilder wins by KO.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
He boxes like it's Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots.

1532868656936.gif

That's what makes the Fury matchup so exciting. If you watch the last fight Fury had, his footwork, defense, and movement are really good. I think in the rematch, when/if it happens, Wilder wins by KO.

I wouldnt mind watching a complete fight of his when I get around to it. Sooner or later he's bound to connect flailing away like that against most boxers lol, if he can last to the end of the fight. He looks in good enough shape to go 10.

41/0/1 with 39 KO's, if what I've read is current. The fight that went to a draw is the one I'd like to see.

This is whats discouraged me from boxing, its basically been dead since the UFC and MMA took over. I dont know much about the current crop of boxers to know who would make a worthy opponent. Clearly in that video, none of them were.

I grew up watching Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Shavers and the fighters of that generation onwards through De La Hoya, Roy Jones and George Foremans comeback. George Foremans upper cut (upper hook? lol) was I think, one of the best punches in boxing history.

I really do miss a good boxing match. I dont think we'll ever see the likes of them again. MMA just isnt the same.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Enjoy! I'd like to hear your thoughts on who won when you get a chance to watch it.

Going by that highlight video, Fury is clearly the better boxer and he has a good chin. Knocked down twice but he could still come back and fight to a draw. That says a lot. If he loses some weight and tones up he'll be lighter on his feet, quicker and have better stamina. I hope he has a good trainer because the power (leverage? lol) is there it just needs channeling. He moves really well for someone that big...

Boxer vs brawler always makes for a good fight.

I think the two knockdowns should have done more for wilder. The last one, Fury came back from the dead. I don't think I've ever seen someone come back from that big of a knockdown. You're definitely correct that Fury is the better boxer. I'm getting amped for the rematch, and it hasn't even been scheduled yet.:a11:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think the two knockdowns should have done more for wilder. The last one, Fury came back from the dead. I don't think I've ever seen someone come back from that big of a knockdown. You're definitely correct that Fury is the better boxer. I'm getting amped for the rematch, and it hasn't even been scheduled yet.:a11:

Early 2020 or sooner apparently.

Deontay Wilder Vs. Tyson Fury 2: The Rematch Is Set, But There Are Conditions

That seems like a long time between fights, especially for a rematch.

He hails from Tuscaloosa,Ala. So, living here in Alabama I see and hear alot about him. He even had a bout at U.A.B. campus. He's a bad man!

Going by that highlight video, Fury is clearly the better boxer and he has a good chin. Knocked down twice but he could still come back and fight to a draw. That says a lot. If he loses some weight and tones up he'll be lighter on his feet, quicker and have better stamina. I hope he has a good trainer because the power (leverage? lol) is there it just needs channeling. He moves really well for someone that big...

Boxer vs brawler always makes for a good fight.
He lost around 140 pounds for that fight and came back with only 1 tune up then that fight.

He’s continued to tone up since and supposedly the rematch will be in February.

I can’t wait and I’ll be rooting for Fury.

Wilders power is out of this world though and freaking scary. You have to be on the edge of your seat the whole fight.

Well, a bit anti-climactic as a Wilder fan, but a very impressive showing from Fury. He's just too big and too technical for Wilder.

Fury v. Joshua next (I hope).

Wilder needs to find a camp that will take him back to basics. Once he realized that Fury's plan was to close close close (to eliminate the space needed for Wilder's big punches), where was the "plan B" to allow wilder to create that space? Terrible coaching. He deserved better service from his corner . . . the only favour they did him was throwing in the towel.

Top Bottom