What's new

Couldn’t Wait

I'm continuing to shave with a small angle and getting better results. Today I used the Demascara 5/8 from Fremont, Ohio.

Started the week off with a daily double using a Geneva Pyramid 7 straight for the first pass. Before stropping this MMTT Thuringian edge, I opted for several dozen diamond/balsa laps holding the wood at a 45 degree angle. Ended with 30 linen and 60 horse hide. The first pass on less than 24 growth, due to shaving around noon on Sunday, was remarkably smooth and effective.

Oh, and I used Tabac soap with a PAA Atomic Rocket brush.

M. Jung .jpg

Used an M. Jung 5/8 German made straight that I did 60 laps on diamond and balsa followed by #25 linen and #60 horse before using this AM. Am continuing to use a near flat angle and little to no pressure after a first pass. I seem to get as good a result as I am willing to spend the time to get it. Any safety with center pull is faster, just not as much satisfaction as with a SR.

M. JUNG
Importer
90 70th St., Brooklyn, NY; moved to 149-151 Church St., New York City in 1921
ca. 1911 - 1923 Straight Razor Manufacturers and Dates of Operation

F06FD1A6-2631-47A5-915B-DFA2BFAF36CA.jpeg
I've always shaved without a lot of attention to detail. Now that I am more interested in getting a good shave, I find my efforts with a straight razor is simply not adequate. If I am going to get a good shave its not so much a matter of a sharper edge, but simply putting in the time to make sure I've shaved all my facial areas. I do tend to miss areas.

This morning I used a straight for the first pass followed by a Feather SS for a second pass and the Gillette RFB for ATG on neck and cheeks. I gave the effort some extra time and was paid back with a damn good result. Perhaps my often ignored pre-shave glycerin facial wash also helped the results.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
View attachment 992628 I've always shaved without a lot of attention to detail. Now that I am more interested in getting a good shave, I find my efforts with a straight razor is simply not adequate. If I am going to get a good shave its not so much a matter of a sharper edge, but simply putting in the time to make sure I've shaved all my facial areas. I do tend to miss areas.

This morning I used a straight for the first pass followed by a Feather SS for a second pass and the Gillette RFB for ATG on neck and cheeks. I gave the effort some extra time and was paid back with a damn good result. Perhaps my often ignored pre-shave glycerin facial wash also helped the results.
Perhaps tightening the scales on the Salamander would do the trick.

Added in the famed Barbasol Floating Head for a second sideways and ATG pass. Clean up with Celebrated Rifle Razor. @steveclarkus birthday razor has inspired me to do several stropping laps on balsa and diamond before linen and horse. I can definitely feel the difference and see (specks on the sponge) the difference in the edge on first pass.

Attachments

• 6F1D603F-314E-4D86-A5EA-C047248D4135.jpeg
    6F1D603F-314E-4D86-A5EA-C047248D4135.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Employed the Wester Brothers "The Anchor Razor" that was restored by JR and given to me by @steveclarkus for my birthday. Steve had shipped the razor sharp as a razor...

Last night I did 60 strop laps on diamond/balsa followed by 30 linen and 60 on horse using the Illinois.

Did an initial face wash using straight glycerin soap and didn't rinse.

Steve and I like the 4/8 and 5/8 razor width. They are usually less expensive and readily available. I suspect they were the barbers tool width of choice.

wester.jpg

Wester Bros, Solingen.
"Wester Bros.Cutlery Co." existed 1904-1967 in New York City.
Charles and Max Wester were the owners.
It was originally founded in 1891 as Jacoby & Wester.
Wester Brothers was the sole inporter of goods made by Wester & Butz of Solingen.
The owner of Wester & Butz was August Wester, father of Charles and Max Wester.

STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - Wester Bros, Solingen.

Last edited:
C4CFD919-81FB-4CBA-A2BA-0557E7E825E7.jpeg
Used my folding Feather SS this morning (love this little shavette) and coupled with a 1930 GEM Micromatice without the blade bumps (BMMOC). This Feather continues to teach me about what it means to be sharp. The Artist Club Pro Guard is way past its prime, but can still cut effectively at the correct angle. The tugging is there under the nose on a first pass just like every razor I own. Why whine about the true straight if a manufactured blade does the same?

While everyone goes ga ga over a 1934 Aristocrat, four years earlier GEM produced a TTO with a more reliable design and a hard clamped thick blade that continues to pleasantly surprise those that discover the GEM SE line of razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom