What's new

Philips Norelco gets my goat

I have settled on Norelco rotary as the best compromise for me between closeness, irritation, and stray hair catchability. So that's a given.

But what get my goat is Norelco's seemingly *deliberate* poor design choices. They have been designing these things for generations now, and yet they cannot get basic features right. So I'm beginning to think it must be deliberate, some sort of marketing thing.

The on/off button is exactly where your thumb goes when you actually use the thing, so it constantly turns off. Ah -- but there's a lock feature. But it only locks it off, not on.

There are a million variants of stands and cleaning stations, to match the heads and blades. It's a lottery whether any two items are compatible, as they all have nonsensical names/numbers and the European/Canadian variants are sometimes the same, sometimes partly the same, sometimes look the same but entirely different.

For example, I wash my shaver and I need to put it down and charge it. Out of luck if you don't have the cleaning station (a joke), unless you have a compatible charge stand. A charge stand is a great idea; holds the shaver while it dries, and you can plug you chare cable into it if you want. A tedious search of the websites and forums reveals no clue as to whether any of the charge stands are compatible with my model; a chat with a Norelco expert has him redirect me to those same sites and forums.

Honestly, I'm daring this shaver to upset me every morning, on pain of being thrown out the window, but until now it's always actually shaved well so I can't justify the defenestration.

If anyone knows of a compatible charge stand for a 5000 series Norelco, please let me know and help save a shaver from ending up in the back yard.

-- Richard.

I wouldnt be able to help you since I have never use an electric, but my sugestion would be to take your post over to the modern shaving systems subforum here: Modern Shaving Systems many guys with proficiency on this topic will be able to help you.

I can give you 2 responses, neither of which will be helpful.

1. That stinks, sorry.
2. Shoulda'boughta'Braun

Maybe try contacting Phillips to explain your difficulties and give them the model number, they should be able to tell you exactly which base to get. Another option is to buy a new one that comes with a base and/or cleaning station. This may not help the charging issue but as far as cleaning goes I found this hack online: put rubbing alcohol and a few drops of an oil like lemon, lime, orange, or peppermint for example (or simple buy one of those mixes you add to alcohol) then fill a small shallow Tupperware container with the solution. Everytime yiu want to clean just turn the razor on and dunk it into the solution a few times. If you keep the lid on when not in use you will get a few weeks to a month of daily cleaning for a few bucks.

I used Norelco for a while, but the challenge of finding the right replacement heads always shot continued use down. If I went back to one, I'd snag all the heads I could find while they were still current.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
That would drive me crazy
i bought a pretty expensive norelco several years ago used it infrequently. The battery died. At that point i discovered i could not change the rechargeable battery. Had to toss the whole thing

I can empathize with you on the power button. Both my Braun 7893s and my Panasonic ES8103 have the power button located in the middle of the handle.

However, I don’t understand your issue with a power stand or cleaning station. Just clean the shaver under running water, leave the top open on the sink counter and charge it up. It only takes an hour to charge and a couple of hours to dry. Just store it in it’s travel case and put it away. Not a big deal.

Ah well I'd say never try a charging station -- you may get hooked. The simplicity of slamming it in there, pushing the button, and exiting to meet your day is addictive.

Ah well I'd say never try a charging station -- you may get hooked. The simplicity of slamming it in there, pushing the button, and exiting to meet your day is addictive.
Obviously, it’s convenient but expensive and not very eco friendly. Somehow I have managed to clean it daily with the brush and tapping out the cuttings onto a peice of toilet tissue which takes about 15 seconds. Plugging it in and charging takes exactly one hour every 18 to 20 days.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
When I was using it regularly, I'd shake it out in the garbage every couple/three weeks and then rinse it out. Never more than that. I think cleaning stations are a giant scam.

I was puzzled about your complaint on the power button, I've never had an issue. I went and grabbed mine. I hold mine as shown in the picture, so the power button is never an issue.

As to charging I just use the provided cord every few weeks.

This razor does a good job. 90+ percent as good as my Panasonic Arc-5 at about 25% the cost. Not as well built, but if we're just talking performance it's great. It was free when the airline lost my luggage and told me to go shopping until my luggage turned up.

20190619_214945.jpg

If you absolutely have to charge the shaver standing up I can see buying the $13 stand. However, spending $67 for the cleaning station is outrageous. Plus you have to pay the electric bill as it cleans verses just charging and buying the cleaning fluid.

When I was using it regularly, I'd shake it out in the garbage every couple/three weeks and then rinse it out. Never more than that. I think cleaning stations are a giant scam.

I was puzzled about your complaint on the power button, I've never had an issue. I went and grabbed mine. I hold mine as shown in the picture, so the power button is never an issue.

This razor does a good job. 90+ percent as good as my Panasonic Arc-5 at about 25% the cost. Not as well built, but if we're just talking performance it's great. It was free when the airline lost my luggage and told me to go shopping until my luggage turned up.

View attachment 992254

View attachment 992254

View attachment 992254
I think my thumb curves around the handle as I shave which can press the power button.

Top Bottom