What's new

Micromatic Monday

B157545F-3149-4A79-BA09-5CDAA67367D0.jpeg

Pre 1934 Merger Geneva 6/8 SR coupled with the BMMOC. First pass honors went to the Geneva. Second pass the GEM.

I received a care package of used soaps from a good fellow member. Today I chose Tabac stick soap with lather being made by an Atomic Rocket brush.

On its 6th flipped shave the GEM PFTE blade seems to have reached peak smoothness! A great 2 pass BBS shave with Proraso green soap and AS.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
As usual, we're off to a very nice start to our Micromatic Monday / GEMonday!!! My shave usually takes place later in the day, but today I opted for a morning shave:
IMG_1826.jpg

The AutoStrop B2 with a de-spined GEM SS PTFE blade on it's 2nd shave teamed up with a Micromatic Clog-Pruf (MMCP) with a GEM SS PTFE blade on it's 5th shave. The MMCP took the 1st and 3rd passes, the AutoStrop took on the 2nd pass and very quick touch-up on the lower neck. These 2 razors did a phenomenal job together, and it's still neck-and-neck in my mind between the MMCP and the MMBT as far as rankings go. But I have to say (very quietly as this is a GEM-based thread), the AutoStrop continues to steal the show for me. I can't even explain why....not sure if it's the weight, length, angle of the head....I pick up that razor and it's like I've been shaving with it all my life.

So it was a great shave here. Two excellent razors, a favorite brush (Yaqi Moka 24mm synth) and cream (Palmolive) -- and I ended up with my favorite menthol aftershave (Krampert's Finest Frostbite)!!!

As usual, we're off to a very nice start to our Micromatic Monday / GEMonday!!! My shave usually takes place later in the day, but today I opted for a morning shave:
View attachment 991422

The AutoStrop B2 with a de-spined GEM SS PTFE blade on it's 2nd shave teamed up with a Micromatic Clog-Pruf (MMCP) with a GEM SS PTFE blade on it's 5th shave. The MMCP took the 1st and 3rd passes, the AutoStrop took on the 2nd pass and very quick touch-up on the lower neck. These 2 razors did a phenomenal job together, and it's still neck-and-neck in my mind between the MMCP and the MMBT as far as rankings go. But I have to say (very quietly as this is a GEM-based thread), the AutoStrop continues to steal the show for me. I can't even explain why....not sure if it's the weight, length, angle of the head....I pick up that razor and it's like I've been shaving with it all my life.

So it was a great shave here. Two excellent razors, a favorite brush (Yaqi Moka 24mm synth) and cream (Palmolive) -- and I ended up with my favorite menthol aftershave (Krampert's Finest Frostbite)!!!

It’s good we have so many vintage choices. Like you said, it’s a GEM thread, but if I could just choose one that does it all, it would be the little Schick Type E.

Congratulations on your DD and MM.

My Micromatic Monday was a Gemonday
And a Staronday, ok combining Star and Monday doesn't work as well as Gem and Monday.

Hot shower prep
Bloom water pre
Mer shaving Fougere Orange on two band badger.
Star Lather catcher with despined and wedge adapter Gem SS ptfe 1st use WTG
Gem Featherweight deluxe with Gem ss ptfe 3rd flip. ATG
Whitchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.

I should have corked the blade for the Star but it wasn't terribly rough. The featherweight did fine.

20190617_115926.jpg

Flintstone65

My Micromatic Monday was a Gemonday
And a Staronday, ok combining Star and Monday doesn't work as well as Gem and Monday.

Hot shower prep
Bloom water pre
Mer shaving Fougere Orange on two band badger.
Star Lather catcher with despined and wedge adapter Gem SS ptfe 1st use WTG
Gem Featherweight deluxe with Gem ss ptfe 3rd flip. ATG
Whitchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.

I should have corked the blade for the Star but it wasn't terribly rough. The featherweight did fine.

View attachment 991563
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!!!! When did you get a Star????????? How long have I been asleep???? A Featherweight Deluxe and a Kampfe Bros Star!!!!! You sir, have been holding out!!!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Micromatic Monday for myself today and the shave had a some irritation according to the Alum block, but no weepers on a blade with (8) shaves.
Razor: Gem Micromatic
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8)
Soap: Razorock XXX
Brush: Razorock plissoft
Pre shave : Shower + Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave: Razorock XXX Aftershave + witch hazel + Nivea balm
MMMonday june 17-2019 (2).jpg

I used the Gillette slim setting (1)to trim the ears hair, a lot of barbers like to trim the ears but it makes a person trim them on a regular basis now. A person should avoid trimming ear hair as long as possible IMO.
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Micromatic Monday for myself today and the shave had a some irritation according to the Alum block, but no weepers on a blade with (8) shaves.
Razor: Gem Micromatic
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8)
Soap: Razorock XXX
Brush: Razorock plissoft
Pre shave : Shower + Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave: Razorock XXX Aftershave + witch hazel + Nivea balm
View attachment 991621
I used the Gillette slim setting (1)to trim the ears hair, a lot of barbers like to trim the ears but it makes a person trim them on a regular basis now. A person should avoid trimming ear hair as long as possible IMO.
Have some great shaves!
Hmmm, I've always wondered about that. Definitely seems like my ear-hair grows faster and thicker than the hair on the top of my head!!! Beautiful Razors -- they look good together!!!

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!!!! When did you get a Star????????? How long have I been asleep???? A Featherweight Deluxe and a Kampfe Bros Star!!!!! You sir, have been holding out!!!

I posted it and several other acquisition on the acquisition thread. This is the first time I used it. I've had it a few weeks.

Flintstone65

I really need to pay more attention to the Acquisition thread. I notice you did a de-spine with a wedge adapter -- I've got one of those as well, but haven't used it yet -- it looks like you have blade stops, so you may want to try an unaltered GEM blade at some point.

I really need to pay more attention to the Acquisition thread. I notice you did a de-spine with a wedge adapter -- I've got one of those as well, but haven't used it yet -- it looks like you have blade stops, so you may want to try an unaltered GEM blade at some point.

Stuck out at the antique stores yesterday but had a busy day of trading with a buddy of mine. He threw in the willioms mug and Stirling pharaohs dream sickle soaps for helping him out up a shelf for some of his shaving gear. And my Feather B20s came today witch was a surprise, tracking from Japan said estimated delivery July 27th. And

View attachment 989454

Gem deluxe feather weight.

View attachment 989455

Gem 1914

View attachment 989456

Star lather catcher.

View attachment 989457
Gem Damaskeene

View attachment 989458

Gem Jr Bar.

View attachment 989459

I posted it and several other acquisition on the acquisition thread. This is the first time I used it. I've had it a few weeks.
Beautiful Star!
I saw the acquisition post. It has a modern bespoke handle to replace the original wooden one, right?
Exquisite!

Beautiful Star!
I saw the acquisition post. It has a modern bespoke handle to replace the original wooden one, right?
Exquisite!

This is an original handle which also has o e more piece. You ad the third piece and used it without the razor head for stropping the wedge shaped blades that where originally used in these razors.
I have one of the original wedge blades that I may hone and strop and give a try.

Clog Pruf peerless with a (S)chick injector blade. I nibbled the blade so it would sit flat on the base plate for this shave. It will work not nibbled but this thing is extremely aggressive when it lays on the center tab.
Lowering the blade makes it a lot less aggressive but still more aggressive than using a Gem blade in this razor. As of this shave I would say the Gem blades still work better in this razor even though these injector blades are much sharper.
cpsi3.jpg

For anyone who might ask the Clog Pruf and Clog Pruf peerless are different shavers. The peerless version I will say thus far is the best SE I own. It is even better than a micromatic open comb for the way I shave.

Here is how to tell the difference.

gcp.jpg

The regular Clog Pruf on the left and peerless on the right. The amount of teeth on the guard is how to distinguish them from each other.

Micromatic+ on a Monday evening

Brassy gold bumpless MMOC, corked a new PTFE
PBOCS, Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
BOSC Special Reserve AC
GAWgeous olive handled boar

76E38F65-FEB4-4C24-A3B1-36CA5134A99E.jpeg

Two pass and touch up on about two days of growth. BBS except a bit of the maelstrom that just wouldn’t let go. Very nice to cork a new Gem and get up close in perfect comfort.

Flintstone65

Micromatic+ on a Monday evening

Brassy gold bumpless MMOC, corked a new PTFE
PBOCS, Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
BOSC Special Reserve AC
GAWgeous olive handled boar

View attachment 991722

Two pass and touch up on about two days of growth. BBS except a bit of the maelstrom that just wouldn’t let go. Very nice to cork a new Gem and get up close in perfect comfort.
Good to see you, John. And that is a truly gorgeous (I mean GAWgeous) brush!!!

Flintstone65

:a47: @GAW9576 -- Absolutely beautiful razors!!! Well done, sir....really well done!!!! I've been on a bit of a buying spree over the last 3 days -- some of them have come in, and some I'm still waiting on. Oh, and I took your advice on the B20's -- I now get a lot of emails in Japanese. I think my blades are on the way, but I'm going to need to work on my reading of Kanji characters to know for sure :001_smile.

Top Bottom